Sponsored

R&T: 2015 Ford Mustang Will get 2.3-liter EcoBoost in U.S., and not as base engine

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Just two days after Edmunds reported that the 2015 Ford Mustang would receive Ford's 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine as an Europe-only option, Road & Track has just disputed this bit of info and according to them, "confirmed" that the U.S. will in fact get the 2.3L turbo four. Further, don't bet on it being the base engine, either:

Bet on the base 305-horsepower 3.7-liter V6 sticking around as the lowest-cost entry point for Mustang buyers. That means the EcoBoost is likely to come in at over 300 horsepower, as it's unlikely Ford could otherwise sell Americans on a less powerful four-banger as an "upgrade," despite the attendant benefits related to fuel economy. The V8 will remain the range-topper in the GT, as well it should.
The previous rumors of an European-only 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine by Edmunds was met with mixed reactions and debate. But, if this new rumor is true, all fans (or critics) of the next Mustang receiving the Ecoboost 4 cylinder turbo should be satisfied, as this means the 2015 Mustang will offer all powertrains - a V6, Ecoboost 4 cylinder, and a 8 cylinder.

But, we now have conflicting reports on this issue from two major sources, so time will tell which is actually true.

[Source: Road & Track]
Sponsored

Prodigy

But, if this new rumor is true, all fans (or critics) of the next Mustang receiving the Ecoboost 4 cylinder turbo should be satisfied, as this means the 2015 Mustang will offer all powertrains - a V6, Ecoboost 4 cylinder, and a 8 cylinder.
Wooo.. interesting.. definitely good news. I hope this second confirmation turns out to be more reliable than the Edmunds "confirmation"!

NRMStand

There's still a lot we don't know anyways.. it's all anyone's guess and tomorrow we could get another report saying something totally different.

Does this mean it's coming out as a new SVO? Since Edmunds is the one that reported Europe will get the turbo 4 and 8, they could be wrong on everything. Maybe all the markets get 4, 6, and 8...... ??

KZStang

The 3.7 will be the base (read: lowest cost) option?

So people will be paying more for the I4 while it is basically on par with the 3.7 in terms of fuel economy in the real world.... Am I missing something?

NRMStand

So people will be paying more for the I4 while it is basically on par with the 3.7 in terms of fuel economy in the real world.... Am I missing something?
here's why i think the EB4 makes sense... we all know the next Mustang will in all likelihood shed some weight. with the 4 banger you still get roughly ~5+ seconds to 60. the tunability is big.. swap in a better driveshaft, a tuning package which can be had for less than $1k, and you can crank out mucho power from that engine.

Sponsored

hawkeye

The v8 (and maybe the entire lineup of Mustangs) is going to be a totally niche product in Europe. I just dont see how the average person there with the kind of economic probs they're facing can afford the tax penalties that come along with owning a 420+hp 5.0L v8.

The turbo 4-banger may just be the compromise out there, but i still think only those that have always wanted to own a hard to come by American muscle car out there would buy one. Especially since the new Stangs will already be priced at a premium in Europe compared to the U.S.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Why not huh? Ford has already invested the money for the car, why not make a buck or two on it over here?

OP
OP
Jarstang

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There's still a lot we don't know anyways.. it's all anyone's guess and tomorrow we could get another report saying something totally different.

Does this mean it's coming out as a new SVO? Since Edmunds is the one that reported Europe will get the turbo 4 and 8, they could be wrong on everything. Maybe all the markets get 4, 6, and 8...... ??
Why not huh? Ford has already invested the money for the car, why not make a buck or two on it over here?
If the R&T (and not Edmunds) report is correct, I think it's possible all markets get 4, 6 and 8 cylinder models. The costs for homologating all 3 models for all markets shouldn't be cost prohibitive.

So, the only reason I can see for not doing that is Ford figures that the 4 and 6 cylinder models will cannibalize each other's sales somehow and it's not worth homologating for all markets, so they pick and choose what they feel is best for the particular market.

Ricky35

Jeez these are completely conflicting reports. Hate these mags sometimes. They could totally be making stuff up to get attention and views and we wouldn't know it.

Felix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
Wait what... if the S550 Mustang gets an ecoboost 4 cylinder turbo engine but not as the base engine that means a lineup like this?

- base model with v6
- GT model with ecoboost 4 cyl?

What the hell?

Sponsored

Prodigy

Wait what... if the S550 Mustang gets an ecoboost 4 cylinder turbo engine but not as the base engine that means a lineup like this?

- base model with v6

What the hell?
Eb4 as an "upgrade" doesnt sound right to me either. That's going to be a tough sell I think

hawkeye

Jeez these are completely conflicting reports. Hate these mags sometimes. They could totally be making stuff up to get attention and views and we wouldn't know it.
well all we have are rumors and speculation anyway. gives us frontrunners something to talk about while we all wait....

JackHoya

The v8 (and maybe the entire lineup of Mustangs) is going to be a totally niche product in Europe.
Niche? Definitely at first, but give them a few generations to get used to american muscle cars out there. People looking for great $/hp will take to it like they do here.

groundnpounder

Niche? Definitely at first, but give them a few generations to get used to american muscle cars out there. People looking for great $/hp will take to it like they do here.
V8 probably always going to be niche in Europe. They have their cars taxed based on engine displacement over there so V8s are always a tough sell. Gotta be wealthy to get one.

Here's a thought, they should test a diesel model for Europe. They lose those things over there :p

Krishna

- base model with v6

What the hell?
If the 4 banger option is mostly for CAFE reasons (no?) it would be surprising to not be the base model. Car manufacturers try to meet new economy/emissions standards with their standard edition cars.
Sponsored