Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For well over a year now, there have been rumors of a four-cylinder engine making its return to the 50th Anniversary of the Mustang. Until now, it has been assumed that the four-cylinder would be offered in the United States. Edmunds.com is now reporting, after speaking to Ford executives at the Geneva Auto Show, that the 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder, but only for European editions. We certainly did not expect any news about the 2015 Mustang to come out of Geneva, but this is a welcome surprise!

Just the Facts:

- The 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, but only for European editions.
- The engine is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.
- Engine output is likely to rise from 252 horsepower to 300 hp in 2.3-liter form, according to company insiders.

GENEVA — The 2015 Ford Mustang is slated to get a fuel-efficient 2.3-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine, but only for European editions of the pony car, Edmunds learned at the 2013 Geneva Auto Show.

The four-cylinder engine is not expected to be offered to Mustang buyers in the U.S. The small four-cylinder engine will be offered to European buyers as a more economical, low-emissions alternative to the V8 engine in the Mustang, which is likely to be highly taxed in Europe. European buyers who feel that a Mustang should only have a V8 engine will be offered that as well.

The four-cylinder engine in the European Mustang is based on the turbocharged 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine featured in the 2013 Ford Focus ST.

Engine output is likely to rise from 252 horsepower to 300 hp in 2.3-liter form, according to company insiders. The 2013 Ford Focus ST achieves 23 mpg in city driving and 32 mpg on the highway, according to the automaker.

Ford announced that the Mustang would be sold in Europe last September as part of the company's aggressive product acceleration in Europe.

"You only have to look at the incredible response to Mustang when it has appeared this summer at the Goodwood Festival of Speed, in the U.K., and at the Le Mans Classic, in France, to get a sense of the excitement this American icon generates across Europe," said Stephen Odell, Ford of Europe CEO, in a statement at the time.

"The Mustang is uniquely Ford and has a huge fan base here in Europe. Now those fans have something to look forward to and we look forward to providing more details in the near future."

No word yet on Mustang pricing in Europe.

[Source: Edmunds.com]
Sponsored

groundnpounder

Damn that is great news! I know lots of the Mustang guys already accepted it as fact that we'd be getting the Ecoboost 4 as the base Mustang in the next gen car, but I'm thrilled that we'll be keeping the 6 cylinder as the base model here in the US.

Was afraid to see Ford give us a 4 cylinder base Mustang and then next Camaro comes out with turbo V6 for their base Camaro in their next gen car just a year later. Looks like we'll be on equal footing now.

KZStang

Damn that is great news! I know lots of the Mustang guys already accepted it as fact that we'd be getting the Ecoboost 4 as the base Mustang in the next gen car, but I'm thrilled that we'll be keeping the 6 cylinder as the base model here in the US.

Was afraid to see Ford give us a 4 cylinder base Mustang and then next Camaro comes out with turbo V6 for their base Camaro in their next gen car just a year later. Looks like we'll be on equal footing now.
Yea, good move by Fomoco i think. The 3.7L V6 option would give the 2015 Stang similar performance numbers as the EB4 with more refinement.

As for the V8, I never thought for a second that they were getting rid of that. What is a Mustang without a V8 option? Answer: Not. I think Ford has learned their lesson from its brief and sullied affair with the V8-less Mustang II back in the day.

TradeStepan

Finally some more news! And its good too :)

Small displacement turbo really makes the most sense in Europe. Good to hear that this means Ford thinks they can meet CAFE with V6 base models here.

Sponsored

Prodigy

Does this rule out the possibility that they will come out with a SVO type special edition here in the U.S.?

Ricky35

Does this rule out the possibility that they will come out with a SVO type special edition here in the U.S.?
Definitely not and i think we might actually see it... i mean there'll already be ecoboost 4 fitted to european model so why not also release SVO special edition version here with it... more sales alll around what's not to like

Ricky35

Yea, good move by Fomoco i think. The 3.7L V6 option would give the 2015 Stang similar performance numbers as the EB4 with more refinement.

As for the V8, I never thought for a second that they were getting rid of that. What is a Mustang without a V8 option? Answer: Not. I think Ford has learned their lesson from its brief and sullied affair with the V8-less Mustang II back in the day.
When did anyone say or speculate that US wouldnt get v8? Thats crazy talk if someone did. Wasn't the speculation just that Europe might not get v8 that would make more sense.

And anyone know which Ford exec gave this confimration? Hope its not some low level guy who's talking out his arse. :D

Krishna

hmm i think so. anyways, doubt they doo. the SVO was really just ford's attempt to compete with the European sports cars of mid 80s. it maxed out at 205hp and really didn't sell all that well here in the US ( most people of course opting for the v8 GT)...

Prodigy

Welcome news, indeed.

Looks like the early reports from Autocar about the UK not getting the 5.0L V8 were false as well -- http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/ford-mustang-promises-right-hand-drive-2015.

I'm sure UK guys will be happy to have those options. Good to hear we won't be losing the V6 stateside :cool:.
It makes perfect sense to me why they dropped the EB4 for the v6 option here in the states, but really if they opted for a turbo 4 instead of v6 in Europe cuz of better economy/gas mileage, it's not accomplishing that. Those two engines would accomplish basically the same thing in mileage.

I'm glad they stuck to the v6 and v8 options here. It's been a proven formula for Ford and stick with what works.

Sponsored

KZStang

When did anyone say or speculate that US wouldnt get v8? Thats crazy talk if someone did. Wasn't the speculation just that Europe might not get v8 that would make more sense.
I was talking about Europe, not the US. I think Autocar UK was reporting rumors that the brits wouldnt get the 5.0L v8 which just sounded wrong to me.

NRMStand

It makes perfect sense to me why they dropped the EB4 for the v6 option here in the states, but really if they opted for a turbo 4 instead of v6 in Europe cuz of better economy/gas mileage, it's not accomplishing that. Those two engines would accomplish basically the same thing in mileage.
It's not just mileage (debatable in some circles), it's about handling. At least in theory, this should give the best handling of the new mustangs since it will have the least weight over the front axle. Will be good for Euro drivers who deal with much narrower and trickier roads.

JackHoya

It's just a practical decision for Ford in its global campaign in that part of the worlld. Lotso countries there tax their cars based on co2 emissions and engine displacement. They probably figure you'll get 2 types of customers there - the ones that want a muscle car without all the added headaches and penalties you get for driving one there......... or you want a muscle car. Period, end of story.

I know which one I'd choose, but then again, I live in a place where I can find open roads to redline my ride without running into cyclists and gelato stands at every turn.
Sponsored