Sponsored

Shelby GT350R Carbon Fiber Wheels Wins 2016 Popular Science Best of What’s New Award

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
ShelbyGT350R_23_HR.jpg

MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R WITH INNOVATIVE CARBON FIBER WHEELS WINS POPULAR SCIENCE BEST OF WHAT'S NEW AWARD

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 19, 2016 – Ford’s multi-award-winning Mustang Shelby GT350R has added another accolade to its collection – a 2016 Popular Science Best of What’s New Award in the Auto category.

Each year, Popular Science reviews thousands of new products and innovations and chooses the top 100 winners across 10 categories for inclusion in its annual Best of What’s New issue. To win, a product or technology must represent a significant step forward in its category.

“The Best of What’s New awards honor innovations that shape the future,” said Kevin Gray, Popular Science executive editor. “From life-saving technology to incredible space engineering to gadgets that are just breathtakingly cool, this is the best of what’s new.”

The 2016 Shelby GT350R won the award thanks to its ultralight carbon-fiber wheels – the first of their kind on a production car.

The two front wheels are insulated with a ceramic thermal barrier coating adapted from technology that is similar to what NASA used on the space shuttle. Each 19-inch carbon-fiber wheel weighs about 15 pounds less than an equivalently sized aluminum wheel, improving the vehicle’s acceleration and handling.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...th-innovative-carbon-fiber-wheels-wins-p.html
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
ShelbyGT350R_23_HR.jpg

MUSTANG SHELBY GT350R WITH INNOVATIVE CARBON FIBER WHEELS WINS POPULAR SCIENCE BEST OF WHAT'S NEW AWARD

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 19, 2016 – Ford’s multi-award-winning Mustang Shelby GT350R has added another accolade to its collection – a 2016 Popular Science Best of What’s New Award in the Auto category.

Each year, Popular Science reviews thousands of new products and innovations and chooses the top 100 winners across 10 categories for inclusion in its annual Best of What’s New issue. To win, a product or technology must represent a significant step forward in its category.

“The Best of What’s New awards honor innovations that shape the future,” said Kevin Gray, Popular Science executive editor. “From life-saving technology to incredible space engineering to gadgets that are just breathtakingly cool, this is the best of what’s new.”

The 2016 Shelby GT350R won the award thanks to its ultralight carbon-fiber wheels – the first of their kind on a production car.

The two front wheels are insulated with a ceramic thermal barrier coating adapted from technology that is similar to what NASA used on the space shuttle. Each 19-inch carbon-fiber wheel weighs about 15 pounds less than an equivalently sized aluminum wheel, improving the vehicle’s acceleration and handling.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...th-innovative-carbon-fiber-wheels-wins-p.html
Nice to see the Mustang get some good press for a change and not the usual "but the camaro is better" crap.:thumbsup:

FPCV8YO

Rode Hard & Put Away Wet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 350Z GT Roadster
Cant tell by the splitter at this angle.. but those calipers aint the R calipers... :lol:
Because they're not red? The wheels aren't black either.

KS10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350R
Because they're not red? The wheels aren't black either.
This is a pic of the first car they introduced at the Detroit auto show. It had liquid blue paint, gray wheels, and the calipers you see in the pic.

Sponsored

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
This strikes me as somewhat odd, since Koenigsegg has been offering CF wheels since... 2012, I believe? I guess Popular Mechanics doesn't consider the Agera and Regera to be production automobiles?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This strikes me as somewhat odd, since Koenigsegg has been offering CF wheels since... 2012, I believe? I guess Popular Mechanics doesn't consider the Agera and Regera to be production automobiles?
More hand-built supercars than anything.

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
More hand-built supercars than anything.
I suppose it ultimately comes down to a subjective definition. I don't think that "supercar" and "production car" are mutually-exclusive categories, and I personally consider anything that is publicly-available and has production numbers greater than the single digits to be a "production automobile". By that definition, the Agera and Regera would be considered production automobiles, but the One:1 (of which there were only... 6, I think? made), would not be.

I wonder if there's any kind of "standard" for this? I'm kinda curious now, haha.

Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Not just production numbers but overall price of the vehicle surely plays a part. While many of us still can't afford a GT350, it is far more attainable than a "no expense spared" supercar that few of us will ever see, much less be able to afford.

When things like this reach production by the big 3, the possibility of a technology trickle-down to lesser models is closer as mfg costs go down, processes are streamlined, long-term durability is proven out. We will probably never see a Camry with carbon wheels but maybe the tech will be used in part.

Friend of Dorothy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Twister Orange 2020 FN GT

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Now all we need is for the price to come down so we can add these to our non-R GT350s.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I suppose it ultimately comes down to a subjective definition. I don't think that "supercar" and "production car" are mutually-exclusive categories, and I personally consider anything that is publicly-available and has production numbers greater than the single digits to be a "production automobile". By that definition, the Agera and Regera would be considered production automobiles, but the One:1 (of which there were only... 6, I think? made), would not be.

I wonder if there's any kind of "standard" for this? I'm kinda curious now, haha.
I imagine there has to be a certain number of vehicles produced per year to be considered a full blown "production car", not unlike the rules associated with certain class racing cars requiring X number of cars produced and sold to the general public for homologation purposes. I believe Koenigsegg only sells something like 12-20 cars per year, or possibly less, so I certainly wouldn't consider it a production car haha

Definitely would think of it as more in line with a hand-built hypercar, as opposed to a vehicle that is largely made on an assembly line by machines.
Sponsored