Sponsored

DIY - PlastiDip Dual Color Engine/Valve Covers (Red w/Black Accents)

JoeySperz

@ShadowCoyote
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT
I decided to try to dress up the engine compartment a little bit with some plastidip. I originally had the covers just red, and it looked too bland, so I wanted to add black accents. The only thing you need is two colors of dip, masking tape, an exacto knife with a SHARP new razor, and a beer of your choice. If you haven't had the Romantic Chemistry by Dogfish Head you are really missing out.

First thing is to dip the whole cover the color of your choice, I went with red. After doing the first one, I figured out that doing the inside pars of the letters first really makes it easier when cutting the mask. Lay a strip of masking tape across all of the letters, and pull it as tight as you can. Then go over the letters with your fingers so that you can see the letters below them. Now, carefully go over ONLY the INSIDE of the letters P, O, E, R, E, D, B, F, O, R, D (see pictures below). Trust me, this saves time and frustration.

Next, i started to outline the lines above/below "Powered by Ford". Very simple, just take your time, and use one continuous long strip. Then, lay a new piece of masking tape over all of the letters. Again, make sure it is tight, and go over the letters with your fingers to show the letters below.

Now trace over the outside of the letters and lift the middle parts. Your previous middle parts will be there below.Once you have them cut out, go over the edges and get them as straight as you can. Mask off the rest of the area, and use the exacto knife again to get the curve in the lines above/below "Powered by Ford". I found it best to lay a few pieces over the curved edges, it made it easier to cut the tape.

Then all you do is spray with the plastidip. Make sure to get it at all angles so that you can get into all of the raised parts of the cover.

Fairly straight forward and simple, just take your time and be patient.

Now, the bad news: I dipped the covers red back in April, so they had some signs of wear that you can see in the pictures. Now that I have done this, once I have time, I am going to take the dip off, and do the red with caliper paint. Then I'll do the black dip over the red paint. I think it will look better, and it will last longer. I am happy with the dip for now, but it is definitely not perfect. Plus, as I was taking the masking tape off, it lifted some of the red that was on the cover. Once it comes up, it is nearly impossible to perfectly repair without redoing it.

I hope this writeup helps! Cheers! :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
Installed.jpg
Finished.jpg
Step 1.jpg
Step 2.jpg
Step 3.jpg
Step 4.jpg
Step 5.jpg
Step 6.jpg
Step 7.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: