Sponsored

Motor Trend BDC GT350R Commentary (Update: 2nd Place)

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
UPDATED WITH VIDEOS:

[ame]

[ame]

Here is what Randy Pobst had to say about the GT350R after putting it through it's paces at this year's Best Drivers Car comparison for Motor Trend:

Ladies and gentlemen, meet your new Ford Mustang Shelby GT350R sales rep. Buy one. You will not go wrong. I am in love with this car. It just works: the level of control, the balance, the stability without understeer.

The engine, it’s not as smooth as I would have thought from a flat-plane crank. I mean, I’ve driven the Ferraris, and they’re so smooth, but the GT350R has its own unique firing order and sound. And the powerband is just extremely satisfying. It’s making a ton of torque at 4,500 rpm, and it’s making more and more and more power all the way to 8,000 rpm. It makes it very satisfying to drive.

The brakes were so strong. This is like a good archetype for how brakes should be for me, on a track car anyway. The pedal remains firm. There’s not a lot of travel in the pedal, so it has a very quick response and a lot of bite, a lot of immediate bite. So when I go from full throttle to the brake on the straightaway, I get to full braking very rapidly. And I just love that kind of response.

RESULTS (SPOILER ALERT):

Make & Model = X:XX.XX ($ as tested price)

McLaren 570S = 1:34.58 ($219,770)
Shelby GT350R = 1:36.11 ($66,990)
Porsche 911 Carrera S = 1:36.44 ($140,465)
Chevy Camaro SS 1LE = 1:37.78 ($45,700)
Dodge Viper ACR = 1:31.58 ($131,990)
Mercedes AMG GT S = 1:35.30 ($169,450)
Audi R8 V10 (Plus) = 1:34.23 ($198,850)
Acura NSX = 1:36.36 ($197,400)
Jag F-Type SVR = 1:38.75 ($147,945)
Nissan GT-R = 1:37.08 ($112,585)
BMW M4 GTS = 1:37.66 ($135,195)
Aston V12 Vantage S = 1:41.77 ($211,910)

(Article) 2016 Best Drivers Car Contenders Part 1

(Article) 2016 Best Drivers Car Contenders Part 2
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to start to see long term reviews

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Matt Farah loves the R model too. In his review he is begging for Ford to sell him one. I'm assuming at MSRP.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I wish they compared R to the base model 2017 with the same tires. I am keen to know when both cars have the same tires, how much more R actually provides. Reality is, most people driving them back to back get this immediate feeling of louder car with stickier tires (hence quicker in a straight line and turns). If you actually removed the resonators and changed the tires, i m curious how much more the wheels, suspension tune, aero provides.

OP
OP
garagelogic

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I wish they compared R to the base model 2017 with the same tires. I am keen to know when both cars have the same tires, how much more R actually provides. Reality is, most people driving them back to back get this immediate feeling of louder car with stickier tires (hence quicker in a straight line and turns). If you actually removed the resonators and changed the tires, i m curious how much more the wheels, suspension tune, aero provides.
Based on my drives of both a track pack and my R, there's a ton of difference between them. If you're thinking it's just in the tires, you'd be wrong.

Sponsored

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Based on my drives of both a track pack and my R, there's a ton of difference between them. If you're thinking it's just in the tires, you'd be wrong.
Can you elaborate?

Besides the tires and the resonator:

- Aero (spoiler and splitter)
- Wheels
- Suspension tuning

Thats all right?

My statement was, if I put cup2 tires and removed the resonator, will 9 out of 10 average driver be able to say this car is 25% better than the other one (thats how much more eexpensive it is in the end)?

R and base consistently lapped 3 seconds of each other. That is consistent with PSS vs Cup2. Anywhere in the world it is widely accepted that cup2 tires will add easily 2 seconds on top of PSS.

What I am getting at is, the difference between R and base isnt as huge as say difference between GT3 and GT3RS or M4 and M4 GTS or Z06 vs Z51 or ZL1 vs Z28. All those cars have substantial performance difference to the point if you blindfolded people, they would say they are different cars.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Can you elaborate?

- Wheels
- Suspension tuning

Thats all right?

My statement was, if I put cup2 tires and removed the resonator, will 9 out of 10 average driver be able to say this car is 25% better than the other one (thats how much more eexpensive it is in the end)?

R and base consistently lapped 3 seconds of each other. That is consistent with PSS vs Cup2. Anywhere in the world it is widely accepted that cup2 tires will add easily 2 seconds on top of PSS.

What I am getting at is, the difference between R and base isnt as huge as say difference between GT3 and GT3RS or M4 and M4 GTS or Z06 vs Z51 or ZL1 vs Z28. All those cars have substantial performance difference to the point if you blindfolded people, they would say they are different cars.
Please leave.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The lighter wheels would make a noticeable difference in acceleration. But im also curious the gap.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The lighter wheels would make a noticeable difference in acceleration
True.

I know its an improvement. I guess whether the price delta is justifiable given the improvement is what we are disagreeing about.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Please leave.
LOL!!! Much more than just suspension mapping or tunning as you put it. Th s pirngs are all shorter, rear end arms to sway bar, higher durameter bushings, MR dampners oh and the WEIGHT difference ; ) Wheels and tires will close the gap but you will need much more than that to match the performance.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
True.

I know its an improvement. I guess whether the price delta is justifiable given the improvement is what we are disagreeing about.
With out ADM 6K or 9K I think so just for the wheels. With ADM I dont think so once you remove collect-ability.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Can you elaborate?

- Wheels
- Suspension tuning

Thats all right?

most of the cost difference as well as the performance difference is in the wheels.

If I was looking to buy an R, I would consider buying a GT350 and then buy the wheels if it saves a lot of money in ADM.

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
LOL!!! Much more than just suspension mapping or tunning as you put it. Th s pirngs are all shorter, rear end arms to sway bar, higher durameter bushings, MR dampners oh and the WEIGHT difference ; ) Wheels and tires will close the gap but you will need much more than that to match the performance.
I think you are comparing the 2016 base car not the track pack or 2017 base car. Including magna ride, all those you mention already exist in that car. The only difference suspension wise is software tuning. This has been confirmed by Ford.
Sponsored