Sponsored

PMAS intake impressions

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the PMAS intake tonight on my GT. A what?? PMAS makes MAF sensors and they also make intake tubes, and they make one for the S550. They will be quick to tell you it is not a COLD air intake. This thing relies purely on volume of air. It does not come with a snorkel as other mfrs products do, just a hole in the front. I have the "no tune" version which is a "simple" bolt-on. Mine shipped with a MAF sensor calibrated to the diameter of the intake tube, which is a cavernous 120mm. The car's ECU simply compensates for the extra flow. I don't think one could fit a larger unit to the car. There were some bumps in the road early in development, but the newest version seems to be making people happy.

Installation notes: It was a bit of a pain because everything is so close. I ended up turning the MAF down inside the box because leaving it up (per the instructions) would have made it hit the hood for sure. I clocked it down and slightly facing the front. There was not enough wire to reach without straining so I left the front clip undone. Tight wires are future broken wires. Advice: be patient, keep the clamps loose except for the TB clamp, and work the tubes into place. The filter is a custom oiled unit. I have not moved the coolant tank yet but probably will soon with the supplied bracket. Some people leave it against the intake tube but I dunno about doing that long term.

Driving impression: When I drove the car it made the work worth it. Startup is a little louder, with more sound coming from up front vs stock. During acceleration you definitely hear it, and with my 3.73 gearing it is more pronounced when cruising 70 mph and up. Below that it is pretty docile. Pulls nice, especially midrange and up top, and seems to rev a bit quicker and smoother. The butt dyno says something is there. The AFR gage looks the same as with the stock intake. Outside temp was 81 and inlet temp was running 89 going down the road. Nothing unusual compared to stock. Sitting in traffic may yield higher temps.

Overall, I like the intake, the only issue I had is the fitment. Could have used a little more clearance. It is close to the hood but it fits if you have the molded tube clocked correctly. The box is a little rough but not a disqualifier. I hear this intake called ugly but I disagree. It looks like all business and that makes it beautiful and bad A. If I ever decide to add any more bolt-ons this intake tube will never be a bottleneck. It is an attractive solution to me because the ECU hasn't been flashed and I can put the car back to stock easily, using my old MAF. If I do decide to tune it later, then it can be tuned as if the stock air box is in place.
Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Nice write up. PMAS is a good unit.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I finally put on the relocator bracket for the coolant tank, but I modded it. The bracket out of the box moves the tank so far over that it is touching the radiator hose. I drilled an extra hole alongside the existing one to shift the tank over a bit. You can't move it very far but just enough.

I did have to trim the locator tab on the bottom of the tank. I did it in such a way that part of the old tab rests on top of the locator slot. This provides a rest on the back of the tank. (The tab on the tank isn't utilized anymore with this kit, so any added support is nice) PMAS should slot the holes in the bracket so that one can adjust the position of the tank for their needs. Now my tank touches nothing except where it is mounted.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just driving normally yields no big jump in IAT. Where I see a jump is when I park the car, then come back out in say, 15 minutes and start it up again. Consistent driving on the highway, no temperature issues. I added a seal the top of the aluminum tube and it helps the temp to drop back down much quicker. A couple of miles and all is right again. In 95 degree temps, I am seeing maybe 104 IAT going down the highway, which is about what I would have seen with the stock box. Idling for a few minutes, it goes up to around 120. Heatsoak after parked jumps up to 140-150, then after a few miles on the road, back down again. Even with the stock air box, my IAT temp at initial startup was above ambient temp by more than just a few degrees. There is always a differential no matter what, but with this type of intake there IS more temp fluctuation. I plan on opening up a few more holes in the intake side of the grill. It is stock currently.

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Just driving normally yields no big jump in IAT. Where I see a jump is when I park the car, then come back out in say, 15 minutes and start it up again. Consistent driving on the highway, no temperature issues. I added a seal the top of the aluminum tube and it helps the temp to drop back down much quicker. A couple of miles and all is right again. In 95 degree temps, I am seeing maybe 104 IAT going down the highway, which is about what I would have seen with the stock box. Idling for a few minutes, it goes up to around 120. Heatsoak after parked jumps up to 140-150, then after a few miles on the road, back down again. Even with the stock air box, my IAT temp at initial startup was above ambient temp by more than just a few degrees. There is always a differential no matter what, but with this type of intake there IS more temp fluctuation. I plan on opening up a few more holes in the intake side of the grill. It is stock currently.
I've never seen 150 even parked for like 15-20 minutes I think my full grill delete helps some. I'm around 125 max in 100* temps when I let it heat soak. Iat will always read 5-6* above ambient it's off calibration.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

After all my modifications I see:

Ambient: 68 degrees (yes its the UK, it aint warm here)
Highway or fast driving:71 degrees
City slow driving: 77 degrees
Stop light for couple of minutes: 85 degrees
Queuing at drag strip 30 minutes: 90 degrees

Before the mods city driving was a lot higher and coming to a stop the temperatures would rocket. After my IAT reducing modifications I now have the above which is pretty much on parr with stock air box. :)

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
nice write up!

its been one of our popular lund combos as of late

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I've never seen 150 even parked for like 15-20 minutes I think my full grill delete helps some. I'm around 125 max in 100* temps when I let it heat soak. Iat will always read 5-6* above ambient it's off calibration.
Wow, and down in Florida? I wouldn't think a grill delete would cool your IAT's that much.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
I've seen up to 170*, but that was because Ford forgot to put my stock intake snorkel back on. Even with the snorkel, I routinely hit 135-150 in traffic.

OP
OP
Genxer

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I am working on dremeling out some of the grill "openings" in the grill in front of the intake. There are only 6 open when stock! I have 9 open now and may open one or two more. I am also going to examine the fender side tonight. Another guy on 6G has a much more comprehensive writeup on IAT reduction with the PMAS intake. Worth a read.

Where is IAT being read, at the MAF?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I installed the PMAS intake tonight on my GT. A what?? PMAS makes MAF sensors and they also make intake tubes, and they make one for the S550. They will be quick to tell you it is not a COLD air intake. This thing relies purely on volume of air. It does not come with a snorkel as other mfrs products do, just a hole in the front. I have the "no tune" version which is a "simple" bolt-on. Mine shipped with a MAF sensor calibrated to the diameter of the intake tube, which is a cavernous 120mm. The car's ECU simply compensates for the extra flow. I don't think one could fit a larger unit to the car. There were some bumps in the road early in development, but the newest version seems to be making people happy.

Installation notes: It was a bit of a pain because everything is so close. I ended up turning the MAF down inside the box because leaving it up (per the instructions) would have made it hit the hood for sure. I clocked it down and slightly facing the front. There was not enough wire to reach without straining so I left the front clip undone. Tight wires are future broken wires. Advice: be patient, keep the clamps loose except for the TB clamp, and work the tubes into place. The filter is a custom oiled unit. I have not moved the coolant tank yet but probably will soon with the supplied bracket. Some people leave it against the intake tube but I dunno about doing that long term.

Driving impression: When I drove the car it made the work worth it. Startup is a little louder, with more sound coming from up front vs stock. During acceleration you definitely hear it, and with my 3.73 gearing it is more pronounced when cruising 70 mph and up. Below that it is pretty docile. Pulls nice, especially midrange and up top, and seems to rev a bit quicker and smoother. The butt dyno says something is there. The AFR gage looks the same as with the stock intake. Outside temp was 81 and inlet temp was running 89 going down the road. Nothing unusual compared to stock. Sitting in traffic may yield higher temps.

Overall, I like the intake, the only issue I had is the fitment. Could have used a little more clearance. It is close to the hood but it fits if you have the molded tube clocked correctly. The box is a little rough but not a disqualifier. I hear this intake called ugly but I disagree. It looks like all business and that makes it beautiful and bad A. If I ever decide to add any more bolt-ons this intake tube will never be a bottleneck. It is an attractive solution to me because the ECU hasn't been flashed and I can put the car back to stock easily, using my old MAF. If I do decide to tune it later, then it can be tuned as if the stock air box is in place.
Thanks for taking the time to do a review on the PMAS setup! :cheers:

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Wow, and down in Florida? I wouldn't think a grill delete would cool your IAT's that much.
It lets a lot more air into and out of the front of the car even when not moving. I drove 30 miles then parked it for 30 minutes in 94* temps yesterday afternoon and when I fired it up after 30 minutes of it sitting with the hood closed and car sitting in the sun (it's black). Iats were 116 when I lit it up and were 100 within a mile of driving it. Grill delete is a great free mod.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am working on dremeling out some of the grill "openings" in the grill in front of the intake. There are only 6 open when stock! I have 9 open now and may open one or two more. I am also going to examine the fender side tonight. Another guy on 6G has a much more comprehensive writeup on IAT reduction with the PMAS intake. Worth a read.

Where is IAT being read, at the MAF?
Yes it's read at the MAF but just know it reads 5-6* high. Dead cold start in the morning after car sitting 12 hours or more shows the following. Ambient air temp 78* IAT 84* CHT 90*. CHT might be off too it seems it never matches ambient either.
Sponsored