Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Euro 2016 Mustang Ecoboost MT Triple Yellow
While planning a trip to Italy, everybody I know advised me not to take the Mustang. "Italians drive like mad man" they said. Like usually, I did it anyway. I mean, how bad could it be, right? And while taking the Mustang, to avoid the boredom of non stop miles and miles on the highway, I decided to do some research about the possibilities to take the scenic route every now and then trying to turn the travel into a true part of the holiday as well. BEST IDEA EVER.

Since I loved it so much and definitely would a) advise others to do it as well and b) would love to discover more of our European roads; I figured to open a thread like this one to share some of the great driving roads with each other to do with a Mustang. I'm confident there are plenty awesome roads out there the internet haven't heard about yet. Also, I can imagine that some famous driving roads that are said to be great just might be to narrow (or not suited for any other reason) for our cars.

So for starters, here's my trip and the roads I loved going from Belgium to Italy:

The sat-nav suggested to go via France.

29389267120_3db394e69c_b.jpg

No hard feelings towards the French, but there was no way I'd go through France if Germany and it's Autobahn is a reasonable option.

29680054505_0760174bf2_b.jpg

So after driving from Leuven (BEL) to Aken (GER), we took the Autobahn for the rest of the trip with multiple no speed limit zones. Since it was a Saterday evening, it wasn't to busy so I figured to attempt a few max speed runs. Max speed I managed was 253kph (measured with the Cobb Accessport). With a few more brave pills and better knowledge of the roads, I'm sure it can go a bit faster. Not bad with a fully loaded car that has a 230kph top speed on paper though :lol: Also, it's unfortunately not the greatest piece of Autobahn in my opinion. Most of the time, that part only has 2 lanes (so more chance anybody creeps up your fast lane) and the surface should be renewed.

After driving 500K, we stopped in the town of Baden-Baden just a few KM off the Autobahn. The town is situated on top of the famous Hochstrasse (route B500) through the Black Forrest. We chose the village to sleep so we could rise early and do the Hochstrasse early in the morning without to many other drivers.

Gotta say, it's a cool drive early in the morning and a pretty cool village to drive around if you love cars :D At that time, definitely the best road I ever experienced (not for long though). I can imagine though it sucks when it's crowded. When we did it, it was 8AM on a Sunday (in September). So we basically had the road for ourselves. Also, the surface is nothing but perfect.

29546905202_372daf4f9c_b.jpg

29368199170_3b3244e603_b.jpg

If you drive to the end of the Hochstrasse, you'll have to do a little detour to get back to the Autobahn, but even so, it's worth it. Having a road like that to myself was nothing but awesome. In the end, it gives you the chance to split the trip and the car gets a second to get a rest and get ready for some more speed chasing on the Autobahn :cool: Unfortunately, as empty the Hochstrass was, as crowded was the Autobahn. Something you wouldn't expect on a Sunday morning I'd say :shrug: That part of the route was f.e. the only part where we got a traffic jam. It also only has 2 lanes, but the surface is much better. So if it wouldn't be that crowded, I think that would be a much safer place for a high speed run than between Aken and Karsruhe (last big city before Baden-Baden). Same goes for the next part of the route: Switzerland. The road surface is epic, but only two lanes again. And obviously this time with speed limits. So it doesn't really matter to only have two lanes. So I decided to put the cruise control on and enjoy the views. To my surprise, there were so many nice cars. Mainly between Basel and Luzern (at least 20 Porsches, 5 Audi R8's and a dozen of other nice cars). No Mustangs though :tsk:

29367304120_c79f328e2a_b.jpg

Since I found an article saying the combination of the Gotthard-, Susten-, Grimsel- and Furkapass is so awesome, I figured to start with the Sustenpass, have lunch on top and see how much time we had left to get to Italy. We end up only doing the Sustenpass from both sides (it's best coming from the highway towards the Grimselpass in my opinion. Not the other way around like most say online) but man, talking about breathtaking. Stunning views, epic road. It's narrower that the Hochstrasse obviously (being a mountain pass), but at no time I had the urge to hold back cause it was to narrow. It's 2200m of altitude on top as well, but nothing that little turbo engine couldn't handle. It's insane how well our cars can take a hoonigan drive like that. About the road: the surface is awesome. It's loaded with epic cars (although way more motorcycles). Just to bad there are a lot of little less epic cars as well :tsk: That road early in the morning without others and I honestly doubt it's gonna get anything better than that. Period. Do it if you can!

29546920902_d558586319_b.jpg

29576580051_2b7e993a59_b.jpg

29658993785_10595d61db_b.jpg

The total of the 4 passes was to long though to do without doing an extra overnight stop. So we decided to leave the 3 others (Grimsel, Furka and Gotthard) for another time and head back to the highway towards Italy. Where to my surprise, we found another great piece of road by accident. Being the highway between Parma and Sarzana. It's a sweeping highway through some smaller mountains, with a perfect surface as well. It only has two lanes, but when we were there (Sunday evening), we had it for ourselves. Unfortunately no pictures though, but trust me, it's an unknown beauty.

29059534993_0ee3bb39c6_b.jpg

If you're passing by some of these roads for any reason, I'd do them over in a heartbeat. Looking forward to some of the great roads you guys think are worthwhile as well :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
While planning a trip to Italy, everybody I know advised me not to take the Mustang. "Italians drive like mad man" they said.
Just a clarification: this is true in some part of Italy, like Rome and beyond to the south. But you will find good and educated drivers too (most in the north\central Italy :cool:).
The worst thing you will find is the road maintenance. We have some beautiful roads where you could drive, but with an incredible amount of holes and cracks..
Here is not rare to break a rim on a hole, and ask the municipality for a refund. Of course it would be cheaper for them to maintain the roads in good conditions rather than refund damages to drivers, but hey, calculation is not the first quality of our politicians :(

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Just a clarification: this is true in some part of Italy, like Rome and beyond to the south. But you will find good and educated drivers too (most in the north\central Italy :cool:).
The worst thing you will find is the road maintenance. We have some beautiful roads where you could drive, but with an incredible amount of holes and cracks..
Here is not rare to break a rim on a hole, and ask the municipality for a refund. Of course it would be cheaper for them to maintain the roads in good conditions rather than refund damages to drivers, but hey, calculation is not the first quality of our politicians :(
I've been staying out of city centers with the car and have to say you're absolutely right on the drivers in the northern/central part. I'm in Florence at the moment coming from the Cinque Terre and Lucca and have to say, I'd never EVER want to drive a Mustang around here (in Florence) in the city or park it next to the road. Or anything bigger than an Abarth for that matter. But outside the city centers, at no point I felt like anybody came to close or did something outrages.

I searched safe parking spots before on all destinations as well. Turned out great so far.

Also Italians seem to appreciate cars better. Or is it cause it's an uncommon car here? Anyhow: lots of thumbs up :D

On the putholes: really? Good you mention that! I'll be aware for those. So far I am super impressed by the road quality though! Belgium's highways are much worse. Can imagine the roads where you pay toll will be maintained better? Maybe that's why?

I'm thinking of doing the SR222 through the Chianti region. Any tips for that one [MENTION=12253]papinist[/MENTION]?

Last edited:

papinist

The Italian Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefano
Vehicle(s)
Mustang EcoBoost MT Race Red EURO - NO MORE
Yeah very uncommon car, especially in central Italy. The nearest Mustang owner I have is at about 50 km from here!
You pointed out right: highways are ok because you pay. Regular roads are terrible, not all but most of them.
You won't believe that even I live in Tuscany very near to Chianti area and Montepulciano is my mom's birthplace, I never visited those places :ninja: However you will find beautiful hilly roads around Siena, Colle Val d'Elsa, Monteriggioni, Montepulciano and so on.

:clap2:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
If you are able to, you might want to return via A-81 instead of A-5. From the Swiss border it is very fast and has very little traffic or construction (during the right time of day) until just south of Stuttgart. Stuttgart can be a bit congested, but from there you can stay on 81 until A6 (near Heilbronn) and cut across there, or you can take 8 at Stuttgart, which links back to A5 at Karlsruhe. The key is being on 81 south of Stuttgart rather than on A5. Sounds like a great trip so far!

Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A few points I've noticed since being in Germany.

Highways do not seem to go directly from point A to point B. Instead they seems to go around-about ways. Highways are for moving high volume traffic in the most efficient manner.

The "back roads" are awesome. They swerve and curve, go over hill tops and at speeds that really move. Make driving really enjoyable. Some times though it seems you have to go east to get west.

I joke that all the roads in Germany are built on 2000 year old goat trails. And that's why they don't seem to go directly to where you are going.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Don't take A5 right now a lot of construction by Karlsruhe

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
Good tips guys!!

I did the Chiantiagiana (SR222) in Tuscany. It's said to be one of the great driving roads of Europe as well. But in my opinion, not even the best I've done in Italy. Although it has a great road surface and beautiful sceneries over the vineyards of the Chianti region, I think it's a road ment to do with an oldtimer rather than our cars. The road goes through some villages and it was pretty busy when I was there. So I wouldn't go the extra mile to absolutely do it just for the road. Unless you want to get some wines from the region as well :ninja:

OP
OP
MustangMustHaves

MustangMustHaves

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mustangmusthaves.be
First Name
PJ
Vehicle(s)
So to the Swiss and Germans here:

which one would you chose?

The left, but via A81 instead of A5 as said earlier; or the right?

The difference in length is only 40K, so don't mind that if that means awesome roads and no traffic jams :D But I've never done either... tips?

29212088853_49963c8500_b.jpg

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
So to the Swiss and Germans here:

which one would you chose?

The left, but via A81 instead of A5 as said earlier; or the right?

The difference in length is only 40K, so don't mind that if that means awesome roads and no traffic jams :D But I've never done either... tips?

29212088853_49963c8500_b.jpg
81 for sure. Whether you take it all the way up to 3 into Frankfurt as you show or cut over at 6 is a judgement call. But 81 over 5 for sure.

Sponsored

NewMustangDE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrik
Vehicle(s)
EU Mustang GT Fastback/Auto/Ruby Red/PP/Alarm
I joke that all the roads in Germany are built on 2000 year old goat trails. And that's why they don't seem to go directly to where you are going.
:lol::lol::lol:

But did you know that any straight (I mean STRAIGHT) road in the UK are based on the old Roman roads?

True. ;)

But it does make you wonder why most of the roads are turning then....hehe.

Having lived for 15 yrs in the UK one do learn a thing or two.... :D

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
There is construction on A3 just after you get off A81 but it's two lanes.

dev1360

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 S550
Interesting reading. My wife and I are traveling to Europe in three weeks and I desperately wish I could bring my Mustang. Flying into Rome and driving until we eventually reach London. Then flying into Dublin. I made it a requirement to see Monaco, Nurburgring, and a few other car meccas that I'll never get to see again. Normandy was also on my list.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting reading. My wife and I are traveling to Europe in three weeks and I desperately wish I could bring my Mustang. Flying into Rome and driving until we eventually reach London. Then flying into Dublin. I made it a requirement to see Monaco, Nurburgring, and a few other car meccas that I'll never get to see again. Normandy was also on my list.
Rent a diesel for the gas mileage.
Sponsored