Sponsored

Spare tire solution for GT PP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package
Hi all,
Just thought I'd post my finished spare tire solution up for the GT PP. I used a spare from a 2015 Hyundai Equus that I find on eBay. I got the idea from George (I think his screen name is Georgeknows) here in the forums. Since the Equus wheel had a flat lug nut mounting surface, I bought these lug nuts and washers:
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-73148.html
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-79914.html
I also had to have the wheel bored out slightly, the Mustang is supposed to have a 2.768" center bore, but the wheel wouldn't fit with a 2.769 hole, we ended up going to 2.782" which is .001" larger than the OEM wheels. With the sleeve type lug fitting down in the wheel, it's a nice tight fit.
I used a telescoping lug wrench with interchangeable sockets (since the replacements are a different size) that I bought on Amazon, and an old spare tire jack that I had laying around. The jack, wrench, and compressor all fit in the spare tire hole in the trunk and the panel even sits flat! I shoved a towel in there to prevent any rattling. The tire is the right diameter for the rear, and clears the brakes. Pics to come!
I also forgot to mention that we put the lug nuts on a lathe and shortened them up just a little, and chamfered them out to clean them up and make them easier to start threading.
Spare_In_Trunk_35.jpg
Cover_On_Spare_35.jpg
Spare_On_Car_35.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Have you road tested it with the P-Zeroes on?

The rumor over in Ecoboost PP land is that the reason the factory doesn't offer a spare is that it doesn't play nicely with the stock P-Zeroes. Since we have the stock GT brakes, we don't have the brake rotor size in the front to contend with :thumbsup:

I bought a spare kit (off of a non-pp GT) from a forum member two cars back, and I have it in the wheel well of my Ecoboost PP. Haven't had to use it yet...

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't really know what you mean by play nice. I did test drive it. There was some increased road noise, no pulling to one side, including during braking/accelerating. I didn't drive it hard because I don't trust this little tire to do anything except get me back on the road in an emergency.

Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Hi all,
Just thought I'd post my finished spare tire solution up for the GT PP. I used a spare from a 2015 Hyundai Equus that I find on eBay. I got the idea from George (I think his screen name is Georgeknows) here in the forums. Since the Equus wheel had a flat lug nut mounting surface, I bought these lug nuts and washers:
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-73148.html
http://www.brandsport.com/grla-79914.html
I also had to have the wheel bored out slightly, the Mustang is supposed to have a 2.768" center bore, but the wheel wouldn't fit with a 2.769 hole, we ended up going to 2.782" which is .001" larger than the OEM wheels. With the sleeve type lug fitting down in the wheel, it's a nice tight fit.
I used a telescoping lug wrench with interchangeable sockets (since the replacements are a different size) that I bought on Amazon, and an old spare tire jack that I hadlaying around. The jack, wrench, and compressor all fit in the spare tire hole in the trunk and the panel even sits flat! I shoved a towel in there to prevent any rattling. The tire is the right diameter for the rear, and clears the brakes. Pics to come!
I also forgot to mention that we put the lug nuts on a lathe and shortened them up just a little, and chamfered them out to clean them up and make them easier to start threading.
Update: pics are here until i figure out how to get them in the thread: https://goo.gl/photos/6SuF95XKdBDhrbCN9

I got my equus wheel bored out to 70.3 mm. It's an extremely tight fit, but it fits. probably should've went with a slightly bigger bore. I might sand it some just to give a little more space.

For lugs, I went with flanged open nuts. That way I don't have to mess with washers, and it being open, the lug nut and stud length doesn't matter.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Have you road tested it with the P-Zeroes on?

The rumor over in Ecoboost PP land is that the reason the factory doesn't offer a spare is that it doesn't play nicely with the stock P-Zeroes. Since we have the stock GT brakes, we don't have the brake rotor size in the front to contend with :thumbsup:

I bought a spare kit (off of a non-pp GT) from a forum member two cars back, and I have it in the wheel well of my Ecoboost PP. Haven't had to use it yet...
No, I believe theres some kind of liability issue with offering an all season spare if you have summer tires equiped.

On my stock set of wheels, I have 3 all season pzero neros, and 1 summer pzero corsa (discount tire screwed that up). It drove fine with 1 summer tire mixed.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you post a link to your lug nuts? Mine are really a compromise, I couldn't find what I wanted.

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Hi all,
Just thought I'd post my finished spare tire solution up for the GT PP.

Update: pics are here until i figure out how to get them in the thread: https://goo.gl/photos/6SuF95XKdBDhrbCN9
Earlingy....for those of us who might not have access to material removal tools for wheels (or trust ourselves), want to start selling a kit for those of us who have more money than skill/time? :)

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Is it only the 2015 Hyundai Equus spare that fits or is there a range of years that will work as well?

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
S550 is 70.5mm NOMINAL which is 70.45mm OD Hub Lip

I got my equus wheel bored out to 70.3 mm. It's an extremely tight fit, but it fits. probably should've went with a slightly bigger bore. I might sand it some just to give a little more space.

For lugs, I went with flanged open nuts. That way I don't have to mess with washers, and it being open, the lug nut and stud length doesn't matter.
The S550 hubs are 70.45mm actual OD center lip (Ford spec is in mm). Impossible they measure 70.3mm and fit. Some machinists cut .15mm clearance which they refer to as a 70.3mm (NOMINAL) but the actual cut may be 70.3-70.4X . I spec hub centric spacers to 70.48mm no problem.

Lol, I hate metric/english mix. 5x4.5" bolt center w M14x1.5 studs. Yuck. Worked thru college at a machine shop on campus and supported research projects in both english and metric at same time. What a waste of brain power.

Wish theyd pick a system already....

Last edited:
OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Defector, my uncle's machine shop is already slammed with work, machining is really the hard part. Any small scissor jack, lug wrench will work. Either of the lug nuts linked on this thread should do as well. If you get the flat flange type lug nuts, be sure not to oversize the hub bore or the wheel could be off center. There's an equus spare on eBay right now too! Just order it all, get the wheel bore machined to 2.782” and go!
Tom, I don't know the exact years. It's hard to find reliable info on the Equus online since it doesn't have the enthusiast following our cars do. I can tell you that the 2011 Equus wheel on eBay right now looks exactly like mine and if it's 19x4 it should be identical. I think George used a 2013 wheel.
Sigintel, most machinists are going to prefer inches, at least where I am. We measured the wheel bore of my PP wheel to be 2.781” which is 70.637mm, bored the spare to 2.782" which is 70.663mm, and it was an extremely tight fit. However, I have no idea what Ford's tolerances are for these type things.

Myweepony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Auto
There's a 2011 Equus wheel on Ebay just now. Taking a close look at the photo's the tire is an 155/80 R18. In the post above it says the rim is 4J x 19. Can someone say for sure what size it is. Any other details like ET, part no would be great.

Thanks

Edit for tyre size.

OP
OP

earlingy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
George's was a 13 and mine was a 15 I think. Mine was definitely 19x4 and the tire is 155-70-19.
Sponsored