Am I stuck in Utah? Orange wrench light on road trip

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
First road trip and last evening on the way from my hotel to a restaurant the engine stumbled and the orange wrench light came on. It went into failsafe, abt 10 mph. I pulled over and shut it off. After a few minutes it restarted after a longer crank than usual. Wrench light was off and it ran ok, a little stumble. Parked it all night, now it's running smooth as butter. Problem is I am- shall we say a mature woman driving alone, and I have to drive almost 500 miles of desert to get home. And I do have to get home for work. I'm concerned. There is a reputable Ford dealership just down the street. (I'm in Logan, Utah). Do they ever do priority? Tempting to just go home. Suggestions, ideas, maybe a helpful Ford rep? PS typing on a small smartphone so forgive the mess
Sponsored

homegrown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Manual CO
Get gas recently? Maybe bad gas?

CentralVA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SOLD !!!!
Go to an auto parts store and get the codes read. It could be a simple fix. Go from there.

OP
OP
Decosse

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
thanks for responses,got gas twice on Friday driving here and again Saturday morning before driving from Ogden to Park City. The car ran fine, smooth. It was only after we got back and the car had been shut off an hour that it happened. It had used half a tank and was fine. Not sure about parts store, it is Sunday evening. Car only has 3800 miles and not being mechanically inclined..

boosted4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
thanks for responses,got gas twice on Friday driving here and again Saturday morning before driving from Ogden to Park City. The car ran fine, smooth. It was only after we got back and the car had been shut off an hour that it happened. It had used half a tank and was fine. Not sure about parts store, it is Sunday evening. Car only has 3800 miles and not being mechanically inclined..
Throttle body. I bet you have a p2111 in the system or p2112

Sponsored

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
Go to an auto parts store. Here are two that close at 8pm.
O'Reilly Auto Parts - 906 South Main Street, Logan, UT 84321
O'Reilly Auto Parts - 9 East 1400 North, Logan, UT 84341

Tell them your check engine light was on, but is now off. Ask them if they can check for codes and tell you what they are. Write them down and post them here and members can tell you more about the problem. I wouldn't risk 500 miles of desert without at least knowing.

OP
OP
Decosse

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
Thanks again for the help, think I was hoping for a "don't worry about it too much", but inside I kinda knew it has to be looked here. I've driven a lot of road trips in the past, first time for a mechanical, so I'll admit it has me rattled. If I were close to home, I'd just be annoyed but be able to think straight.

SDEcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Convertible
Thanks again for the help, think I was hoping for a "don't worry about it too much", but inside I kinda knew it has to be looked here. I've driven a lot of road trips in the past, first time for a mechanical, so I'll admit it has me rattled. If I were close to home, I'd just be annoyed but be able to think straight.
All of the advice on here is fine; however, you have a new car with a warranty. Take it to the Ford dealer as soon as they open, explain your situation and ask them to check it out. I live in a high tourist area, and the local dealers try to give priority to tourists,obviously depending on the problem(s). Why waste time going to an auto store when the dealer is right there? More piece of mind for the upcoming desert travel, since you have to be back for work.

OP
OP
Decosse

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses (and hand holding )Since O'Reilly was 5 minutes away, I went over just to see. They pretty much echoed what SDEcoboost said. They would be happy to get the codes, but whatever the result they would still strongly advise taking it in, as it is 500 miles, not 50. Crossing fingers and hoping for the best (which was tempting) wouldn't be wise. And the car is practically brand new, has warranties. As it happens, the Ford place is 5 minutes away. Under the circumstances, and being almost closing time, I declined. At least I'm not out in BF Egypt, and the Ford place is 5 minutes away and has 4 yelp stars (grasping at straws). I'm going to bed. I'll let you know what happened.

15Black3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black 3.7
So why didn't you have the place pull codes off of it so someone could at least give you a heads up on the issue?

Sponsored

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
I agree, always worth a shot. My car did pretty much the same thing (twice) as the OP's but didn't throw any codes. I ended my visits to a budget ARCO station (wondered why their gas was so cheap:headbonk:) and haven't had the problem since.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
Update?

DS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, PP, Recaro Seats, 401A
is a long, cranking start, common? I have seen a couple of issues with codes and long cranking starts that have resulted in Ford swapping a cylinder head. A buddy of mine in California recently had issues with a long cranking start accompanied with codes and after numerous tests, Ford change the throttle body and sensors before finally deciding to change the cylinder head. Might be worth mentioning before the dealership runs around in circles with no solution. Good Luck

ForTheHordeKT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Performance Package
Not sure if I recall a Ford in Logan, UT. But I know I'm south of there in Ogden about 40 minutes away and Westland is where I got my car and where I'll end up going if I have to bring it in.
Sponsored