OPG FAILED last night, street car.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yup I can't bleepin believe it, and I was one of the you don't need it crowd on a street car:crazy:

I took the precaution of installing the MMR/Romac race balancer as well. This is a street car with stock clutch no drag radial and never has seen the track or race. I occasionally wind it to full song from 2 to 4th, but rarely. Well yesterday I warmed it up for 5 minutes idleing went on a 5 mile drive the oil temp was at normal by then and I let it rip in first spinning to 7 k then shifted to second spun to 6-7k then shift third all traction and then 4 th at the top of forth got a chime and dash said low oil pressure look at the oil pressure gauge and it as at 0:eyebulge: I shut the car fast and have it towed to a shop awaiting a plan to move forward. Fuck...fuck...fuck:headbonk:

I don't have any definitive answers yet, but I'm sure it's the OPG, as I was coming to a stop I could here a slight metallic noise from the engine likely the OPG gears rattinling around.

I'm wondering what and how the motor should be checked at the point? Do I need to do a total disassembly to check for warn bearing in the cams and the rods or what. Is it possible the engine didn't sustain damage and just the OPG gears and housing could b replaced?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tugger50H

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Sorry man that sucks. Calling to schedule my OPG install right now.

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Just take the front of the engine apart yourself to save a decent amount of money. Inspect the oil pump and go from there. If you shut it off right when you heard the sound, chances are you're safe.

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about this incident man, I'm running stock OPG's right now and stock balancer as well and am getting kinda worried now. I've done 5-7 launches on the street with DR's and have pushed to redline everytime I take it out for a drive (3-4 times a week).

I'm interested to know the details regarding the inspections done on your motor and hopefully there is no damage to your rods or crank. Hope you get it all worked out!

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Sorry man that sucks. Calling to schedule my OPG install right now.
Smart man I wished I would have had the option, but I did a home instal before I even new about OPG and timing gears issues.
Just take the front of the engine apart yourself to save a decent amount of money. Inspect the oil pump and go from there. If you shut it off right when you heard the sound, chances are you're safe.
I hope and pray, but something inside says it will not be this easy, but thanks for the encouragement.

Sponsored

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
Smart man I wished I would have had the option, but I did a home instal before I even new about OPG and timing gears issues.

I hope and pray, but something inside says it will not be this easy, but thanks for the encouragement.
Story time. A buddy of mine has a 13 GT that's getting a TT built transplant. He moves it around in his garage/driveway with broken OPGs. It starts up, but you can hear it clacking.

Your engine's in my prayers! :hail:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Damn Shawn, sorry to hear about that and am interested in what you find. I'm all stock as well including damper with some high revving road course experience and no issues. Best of luck.

thundertorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP; 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS 305 V8 TBI
Sorry to hear about your engine! I hope it all comes out OK. Just curious from a learning perspective but is there anyway the extra pressure on the engine from a supercharger could have caused that? I ask because my car is totally stock except for window tint and was curious if the few of us who have not modded our cars would be at the same risk of a OPG failure.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Sorry to hear about your engine! I hope it all comes out OK. Just curious from a learning perspective but is there anyway the extra pressure on the engine from a supercharger could have caused that? I ask because my car is totally stock except for window tint and was curious if the few of us who have not modded our cars would be a the same risk of a OPG failure.
Really no need to worry if stock. It's mainly due to forced induction and the torsional vibrations at the damper.

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
First Whipple I have heard of breaking the OPG. Sorry to hear man :(

Do you have the Whipple warranty?

Sponsored

stealthfrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 raptor, 99 corvette, 2015 PP mustang gt
really sucks but im a firm believer in "better safe then sorry" thus why i did timing gear and OPG before the blower went on.
id rather KNOW im not going to have an issue rather then THINK im not going to have one.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
First Whipple I have heard of breaking the OPG. Sorry to hear man :(

Do you have the Whipple warranty?
No warranty:frusty:
really sucks but im a firm believer in "better safe then sorry" thus why i did timing gear and OPG before the blower went on.
id rather KNOW im not going to have an issue rather then THINK im not going to have one.
Yup I'm a believer now. I still can't believe I am one of the few that it happened to. I figured it's really rare and very safe odds and I don't drive crazey or race:headbonk:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Sorry to hear man. Paying for a motor rebuild is not a fun thing.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
sorry to hear that. one reason i went OPG/CG first before the blower went on.

when you say wind it out, how high rpm do you go?
Sponsored