Sponsored

Help, my exhaust is too loud - plus, Roush help.

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
About 125 miles at the moment. OP said 500-1000 miles he noticed it.
Sponsored

BigEasyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Just to add in to what others are saying, the setup gets very noticeably louder as you rack up the miles. However, I sold my roush axlebacks and am now running SW catless headers into my magnaflow center mounted muffler, and straight pipes out the back. Still not as loud as the LT/X pipe/Roush combo, but much smoother sounding while still being loud as hell.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Just to add in to what others are saying, the setup gets very noticeably louder as you rack up the miles. However, I sold my roush axlebacks and am now running SW catless headers into my magnaflow center mounted muffler, and straight pipes out the back. Still not as loud as the LT/X pipe/Roush combo, but much smoother sounding while still being loud as hell.
Good to know. So would you think that if you want the end-result volume to be similar to the stock resonator, to get the 12468 instead of the 11386, per Magnaflow's recommendation? I'm just trying to gauge how much louder it gets from initial install, if it's quieter when new.

JJJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Inside pic of the stock resonator.
IMG_7688.JPG
IMG_7689.JPG

Last edited:

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Just got the Vibrant 12" resonators welded into the aftermarket X pipe and it calmed the sound down QUITE a bit and so far appears to have removed all of the nasty heavy throttle rasp! Im sure itll get a tad louder as the resonators break in but Im super pleased. I still think these cars sound like crap compared to the Windsor 5.0's 2/3/4V 4.6 cars but oh well, this is at least tolerable! I highly recommend these little resonators to anyone wanting to tone their setup down a bit and remove any rasp!

Matt

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
[MENTION=13048]MagnaFlow[/MENTION]

Finally got a decent capture on what the exhaust actually sounds like:

[ame]

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the Vibrant 12" resonators welded into the aftermarket X pipe and it calmed the sound down QUITE a bit and so far appears to have removed all of the nasty heavy throttle rasp! Im sure itll get a tad louder as the resonators break in but Im super pleased. I still think these cars sound like crap compared to the Windsor 5.0's 2/3/4V 4.6 cars but oh well, this is at least tolerable! I highly recommend these little resonators to anyone wanting to tone their setup down a bit and remove any rasp!

Matt
I did something similar & the little resonators work miracles. :amen:

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
And another one:

[ame]

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
Yep, I have a H-pipe and Roush AB, sounds good, but those cold starts. If you turn it on and reverse it right away and then let it warm up, the overbearing sounds goes away once you reverse the car.
I have the same setup and do this exact thing. I you throw the car in reverse during that initial incredibly loud cold start it will drop the volume significantly. I do it every time now and it has helped a lot.

choate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10 401A with Active Exhaust
i miss my old roush axlebacks. start it in the morning and the carpark would salute me with the sound of car alarms :thumbsup:

but like what others have said... the roush exhausts were set up to run with the stock resonators. anything else would just be loud(er).
is it just me or do the 2015 roush axel backs not have that nasty growl the 2011s did. all I've heard is videos of the roush on the s550s but it sounds way different to me.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
is it just me or do the 2015 roush axel backs not have that nasty growl the 2011s did. all I've heard is videos of the roush on the s550s but it sounds way different to me.
Must be listening to the wrong youtube clips! Most I've heard it's got a very aggressive, nasty growl.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Must be listening to the wrong youtube clips! Most I've heard it's got a very aggressive, nasty growl.
+1. Not much inside the Roush cans to tame the sound.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S

Matt
I did those exact same resonators onto my h-pipe when I removed the kitties to keep it tolerable. Don't have a before and after of the cats, but knew it would be crazy loud taking them out.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Matt
I agree, my 2004 GT sounded way better but was also slow! :frusty: I miss this car.

[ame]

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The MF rep on this thread recommended, see below. Sound is quieter than stock resonator, that said, MF said it should get a tad bit louder with miles. The stock resonator is actually a straight through design when looking through it and was louder. Of course louder doesn't necessarily mean better flow. Undecided at this point on keeping it.

No disrespect to MF, it's a beautiful piece. Just after 7 Mustangs, this one has been the most difficult in getting the sound right to my liking.

Originally Posted by MagnaFlow
Hi JJ, thanks for contacting us. We offer a few different variations of our resonated X muffler, but the most common to use is #11386. These retail for ~$114 and offer better flow characteristics than the stock resonator due to the straight-through design, and also a slight increase in volume. If you were looking to keep the volume around the same level, a larger unit like #12468 will be the way to go and give the same tone benefits.
Updates on how it sounds/volume compared to stock resonator with some miles on it?
Sponsored