Sponsored

New K&N CAI for GT350

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
So I just got my car back from K&N. They developed their first system for the GT350 using my car as a mock up. I'll post photos and dyno sheet.

Claim: 14 peak hp gain, 20 hp gain at 6,200 rpm. Stock tune

Impressions: Filter is smaller and so is air box. Intake tube is made of aluminum. Potential for more heat soak? It was 110 degrees ambient today and the intake air temp was 140 degrees. Haven't paid close attention but I felt as if the stock CAI air intake temp was closer to ambient temp, within 10 degrees or so when traveling at a decent speed. Anyone else agree? The sound adds a little more growl from the engine bay at WOT, a nice plus. However when cabin is quiet you can hear the injectors, kind of a squeaky whine when you're on throttle. It's pretty subtle but not a huge fan.

I'm going to a dyno day in Sept. and will throw it on there again and see how the numbers compare.

Overall the folks at K&N were very friendly and nice to meet and deal with. I have no affiliation with them other than receiving a free CAI for donating my car for the week.
KN Filter engine shot 2.JPG
KN Filter engine shot 1.JPG
KN dyno.jpg
Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Is the gain permanent? I know on some cars the increased airflow makes the car run leaner gaining power but eventual the computer Richens things back up and you end you at stock power

OP
OP
geb78

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Is the gain permanent? I know on some cars the increased airflow makes the car run leaner gaining power but eventual the computer Richens things back up and you end you at stock power
I guess we'll know when I dyno it in Sept....

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Not that it matters since they did both runs the same way, but why did they do the runs in 4th gear instead of 5th? On these cars, 5th gear is the 1:1 ratio, not 4th...

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
+10 Tq... not bad. So the next question is how much will this CAI be?

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Not a fan of increased NVH, but overall impressive claims since the intake did not appear to be a major restriction. I wonder how long before they receive a CARB certification.

Did K&N mention they would be able to make tweaks and address the NVH issue before bringing it to market?

jonesd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt350
Wouldn't an aluminum cold air intake cause more heat soak?

OP
OP
geb78

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Not a fan of increased NVH, but overall impressive claims since the intake did not appear to be a major restriction. I wonder how long before they receive a CARB certification.

Did K&N mention they would be able to make tweaks and address the NVH issue before bringing it to market?
Sorry, what is NVH? As far as CARB, I don't think it will be compliant. The stock intake tube has a carbon filter trap on it. Therefore they'd have to do lab testing to receive CARB certification. It costs approx 100k to certify and has to be done for each model year. It seems cost prohibitive. At least that's what they told me.

OP
OP
geb78

geb78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Wouldn't an aluminum cold air intake cause more heat soak?
That was my original point exactly. I'm not sure if the final product will be aluminum.

Sponsored

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sorry, what is NVH? As far as CARB, I don't think it will be compliant. The stock intake tube has a carbon filter trap on it. Therefore they'd have to do lab testing to receive CARB certification. It costs approx 100k to certify and has to be done for each model year. It seems cost prohibitive. At least that's what they told me.
The NVH is noise, vibration, harshness. Exactly what you described with the increased injector noise

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The only possible advantage this intake could have is the elimination of the "accordion" section of the stocker. I visually inspected that section and ran my hand through it. There definitely is a fairly sharp lip there but I don't know how problematic that is. To my knowledge no one has published airflow testing results of stock vs. aftermarket. On my Boss I did my own testing with a water manometer and found a negative pressure of 24 inches of water at the throttle opening with the stock intake vs. 6 inches with a Steeda indicating significant restriction, confirmed by a 12 hp increase on the dyno. I thought about performing the same comparison on this car with the JLT but decided I didn't want to drill a hole in the stock intake.

Rig Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
S550 GT
Why would anyone put that thing on a well engineered GT350???

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I'd rather see the gains or losses by keeping the stock CAI and using just the GT500 K&N filter on the stock GT350 CAI.
Sponsored