My V6 broke down at 8200 miles

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Just another casual day, and all of a sudden when the signal turns green, I accelerate and get an error message in the console "Check service manual" with a yellow wrench tool symbol. The car just doesn't accelerate, and it makes weird noises from the engine. I immediately shut off the engine and meanwhile I was stuck in a junction blocking a lot of traffic :frusty::frusty: After a min or so, I start up again the same thing. Had to call the cops and by the time they arrive in 5 mins or so, I try to start again this time car starts up, but the check engine light is on and doesn't go away. I slowly pull over and get it towed to a nearby dealership. Ford Roadside Assistance messed up, they were trying to tow my car to a dealership 35 miles away, when the nearest one is only 3 miles :shrug:

Mine is a V6 auto, completely stock with 8200 miles. Don't know what could be the issue. Pretty disappointing and already missing the car :(
20160713_193932.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
Bummer man. My 13 V6 had 60k when I traded it in. Zero issues and plenty of mods.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
That's odd, but I wouldnt be surprised if it turned out to be something simple - keep us updated, and good thing you're still stock

Dennisthemenace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
I have a '16 V6 Auto 6k miles as well and about a month ago I had the same issues as you.

Everything was driving fine with no issues and suddenly after accelerating while at a red light that turned green, the car starts reving erratically and the car goes into limp mode. I pull over and turn the car off, then restart, and the engine begins to rev higher than normal as if its struggling to keep the engine from stalling? Get home and plug in my OBD II and find its a P2111 code (Throttle Actuator Control System-Stuck Open). After getting the car towed to the dealer to get it fixed, service manager tells me that this has been happening pretty frequently with our throttle bodies, but after replacing the throttle body, I haven't had any issues since.

This might be the same issue you're experiencing, hopefully this helps.:cheers:

OP
OP
krishelnino

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
Thanks guys, it was the throttle body issue as expected. The service manager called at 11am and informed that it was replaced. So that was pretty quick. I hope I don't run into this issue again. The thing that scared me the most was I recently did a solo 1500 mile trip a few days ago moving all my stuff. Had it happened then, I would have been doomed. Thank god it didn't happen then and it was in city limits.

On a side note, a quick google search shows that many Ford vehicles are having this issue since 2009 (Escape, etc. around a million or so). I wonder how the hell Ford didn't fix this issue by now. Poor quality control IMHO. My friends were really impressed with this car, considering they have a Lexus IS300, BMW 428i, Dodge Charger. Two of my friends were looking to trade-in their cars and get the GT. Now that this happened, they are concerned about the reliability of Ford.

Last edited:

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
Thanks guys, it was the throttle body issue as expected. The service manager called at 11am and informed that it was replaced. So that was pretty quick. I hope I don't run into this issue again. The thing that scared me the most was I recently did a solo 1500 mile trip a few days ago moving all my stuff. Had it happened then, I would have been doomed. Thank god it didn't happen then and it was in city limits.

On a side note, a quick google search shows that many Ford vehicles are having this issue since 2009 (Escape, etc. around a million or so). I wonder how the hell Ford didn't fix this issue by now. Poor quality control IMHO. My friends were really impressed with this car, considering they have a Lexus IS300, BMW 428i, Dodge Charger. Two of my friends were looking to trade-in their cars and get the GT. Now that this happened, they are concerned about the reliability of Ford.
You beat me to it. I was gonna tell you its the throttle body. Same exact thing happened with mine last month. Driving on the highway, the pedal gets cut off and cant accelerate and I had to let it roll to the side. Turning off the car and turning it back on fixes the issue temporary but it still happened. The throttle body gets stuck closed. It gave me more of a reason to buy the bbk 73mm throttle body which I do not regret at all.
Sponsored