Sponsored

Strongest motor for approx 5k?

turbo50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your looking for a piston and rod motor have a reputable shop locally install the rotating assembly you can do it all less then 2k

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
If your looking for a piston and rod motor have a reputable shop locally install the rotating assembly you can do it all less then 2k
All the blocks I'm looking at seem to have pretty much the same combo as the ams block just the ams is cheaper. Livernois pro block seems the same but the only difference I see is they make their own pistons and rods rather than use mahle/Manley. Most companies out there seem to recommend the mahle/Manley combo. For the price this ams block seems like a winner, I just want to ensure I'm not over looking something. I'm hoping to get a block swap my heads opg etc fire it up have fun.

turbo50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ams block is fair priced you can't beat it even if you could. I was gonna get one from them but I went a cheaper route and built my block. I went diamond Pistons and Manley g beans

Sponsored

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Id love to do it myself but I hear you need to machine the cylinders to make everything fit perfect.

Then I can sell my stock short block for at least 1500. Seems the most sensible route to me but I don't know what I don't know.

So any insight on this route is greatly appreciated.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
All the blocks I'm looking at seem to have pretty much the same combo as the ams block just the ams is cheaper. Livernois pro block seems the same but the only difference I see is they make their own pistons and rods rather than use mahle/Manley. Most companies out there seem to recommend the mahle/Manley combo. For the price this ams block seems like a winner, I just want to ensure I'm not over looking something. I'm hoping to get a block swap my heads opg etc fire it up have fun.
No shops that I know of make their own rods unless they are some type of billet rods made on a CNC mill. Forging steel takes very expensive equipment and no small shops have it. They just rebrand the same rods made by only a handful of manufacturers or maybe have some made to slightly different specs. Some from China, some from the US. Like you were told in the other thread, without sleeves you aren't gonna get very far for very long. These budget minded short blocks are on stock sleeves which can and will bust no matter what rotating assembly you put in.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Has any one considered building a 5.2 short block?

The Ford racing 5.2 block can be had for $2300.The block has reinforced water jackets.

I am sure sleeving is best if you are looking for 1500 rwhp but I am assuming this will still

be stronger than the stock block.

No machining will be required to assemble with a balanced rotating assembly with 3.7 bore pistons -about $2100 from MMR .Add billet crank shaft gear/oil pump gear for another $500.

Still less than $5K and you have "5.2" cross plane block..... and the right to have a "5.2" badge lol.

I am looking at this as an option as I have an opportunity (again) to pair the block with GT350 heads I can get for a deal( I have shelved the idea of the GT350 engine with flat plane crank).My former on3 TT car(now 3.2 KB car) is getting a non sleeved block(will have supports) and GT 350 heads and should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I know it is not quite getting a sleeved 5.2 block(if you want a 5.2) but still $4k cheaper than the "1500" HP sleeved blocks from MMR/Livernois which come with I beams but may be all you need if you are not looking for 1500 rewhp.

Just curious why I have not seen any such builds.I am sad to say it but I am looking at this option sooner than I planned:mad:

Looks like the alluminator in my Hellion car "let go".I ran it yesterday,low boost setting(14 psi) testing out a pair of M&H drag radials I just got for street/strip duty.I only looked back at about 1000 ft and saw a trail of smoke.(?white).When I pulled over smoke was coming from passenger side of engine only.Oil was dripping unto the manifolds and looked it was coming from the catch can.
Oil pressure was fine but car was idling like it did when stock engine lost a piston.
I had it towed back the shop and got the bad news today. zero compression on 8 and low on 6. My Tech guesses same thing that happened with stock engine...piston failure judging by the amount of oil blow back(why catch can is

filled with oil):mad:

I had just been looking at swapping valve springs so I guess that will be easy now
since it looks like I need a new block.lol

I was hoping MMR would let me swap the GT springs(unopened in box) for the springs I will for the GT350 heads but " no can do"

Anyone want to buy them?......Please I need all the help I can get.!!

Alternatively I don't HAVE to have the GT 350 heads as I could just stick to a 5.0

block and reuse my stock heads(if they are still good).

The opportunity to build a 5.2 long block with GT350 heads is too tempting though as I try to make lemonade out of all the lemons this car had thrown at me.

Not sure if I want to use those heads again anyway given they have seen 2 engine failures already

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The Ford racing 5.2 block can be had for $2300.The block has reinforced water jackets.

I am sure sleeving is best if you are looking for 1500 rwhp but I am assuming this will still

No machining will be required to assemble with a balanced rotating assembly with 3.7 bore pistons -about $2100 from MMR .Add billet crank shaft gear/oil pump gear for another $500.

Still less than $5K and you have "5.2" cross plane block..... and the right to have a "5.2" badge lol.

I am looking at this as an option as I have an opportunity (again) to pair the block with GT350 heads I can get for a deal( I have shelved the idea of the GT350 engine with flat plane crank).My former on3 TT car(now 3.2 KB car) is getting a non sleeved block(will have supports) and GT 350 heads and should be ready in a couple of weeks.

I know it is not quite getting a sleeved 5.2 block(if you want a 5.2) but still $4k cheaper than the "1500" HP sleeved blocks from MMR/Livernois which come with I beams but may be all you need if you are not looking for 1500 rewhp.

Just curious why I have not seen any such builds.I am sad to say it but I am looking at this option sooner than I planned:mad:

Looks like the alluminator in my Hellion car "let go".I ran it yesterday,low boost setting(14 psi) testing out a pair of M&H drag radials I just got for street/strip duty.I only looked back at about 1000 ft and saw a trail of smoke.(?white).When I pulled over smoke was coming from passenger side of engine only.Oil was dripping unto the manifolds and looked it was coming from the catch can.
Oil pressure was fine but car was idling like it did when stock engine lost a piston.
I had it towed back the shop and got the bad news today. zero compression on 8 and low on 6. My Tech guesses same thing that happened with stock engine...piston failure judging by the amount of oil blow back(why catch can is

I had just been looking at swapping valve springs so I guess that will be easy now

I was hoping MMR would let me swap the GT springs(unopened in box) for the springs I will for the GT350 heads but " no can do"

Alternatively I don't HAVE to have the GT 350 heads as I could just stick to a 5.0

The opportunity to build a 5.2 long block with GT350 heads is too tempting though as I try to make lemonade out of all the lemons this car had thrown at me.

Not sure if I want to use those heads again anyway given they have seen 2 engine failures already

Can you pm me price of springs? What pressure rating are they?

Sponsored

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4

Sorry to hear that bro. I have never been a fan of the aluminator or mahle pistons.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Can you pm me price of springs? What pressure rating are they?

PM sent.
These are the springs below
http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...ge=product_info&cPath=4_30_57&products_id=318

Does not say what pressure ratings but recommended for boosted applications.
same as the more expensive ones without the titanium retainers.

If you are reassembling your block with stock heads definitely would do them now while you can as I was quoted $1000 labour to do them with the engine in the car.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry to hear that bro. I have never been a fan of the aluminator or mahle pistons.
Thanks Bro.
This is the 4th engine that has "let go on me" since I became obsessed with this cars 10 years ago(6 mustangs since-still have 3).

2 stock engines(cant blame them running twice stock HP lol) but the second alluminator that has let go one me.

First was in my 12 and the crank broke.

So are the Mahle pistons weaker than the Manle ones?

I know they use a different alloy and most engine builders I have spoken to(only MMR and local guy) also say to go with the Manle(That is what I have in the block going in to the KB car).

What do you think of the 5.2 Ford racing block?

I know every one says sleeve and be done but $9k .... ouch.

I could put the money for the GT 350 heads toward that but what fun would that be having the same old engine even if it is that much stronger .And I am getting the heads at a killer price.

Hoping I can sell the stock ones and may be the H rods.
It would be great if I can sell the GT valve springs.:)

Not really looking to make that much more than may be another 100 rwhp over the 960 rewhp I made with the alluminator @18 psi, if the valve sprigs solve the back pressure issue and hoping it will hold up with the Manle pistons.

It will be interesting to see what the block looks like when it is apart since that was supposed to be the weak link.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
Thanks Bro.
This is the 4th engine that has "let go on me" since I became obsessed with this cars 10 years ago(6 mustangs since-still have 3).

2 stock engines(cant blame them running twice stock HP lol) but the second alluminator that has let go one me.

First was in my 12 and the crank broke.

So are the Mahle pistons weaker than the Manle ones?

I know they use a different alloy and most engine builders I have spoken to(only MMR and local guy) also say to go with the Manle(That is what I have in the block going in to the KB car).

What do you think of the 5.2 Ford racing block?

I know every one says sleeve and be done but $9k .... ouch.

I could put the money for the GT 350 heads toward that but what fun would that be having the same old engine even if it is that much stronger .And I am getting the heads at a killer price.

Hoping I can sell the stock ones and may be the H rods.
It would be great if I can sell the GT valve springs.:)

Not really looking to make that much more than may be another 100 rwhp over the 960 rewhp I made with the alluminator @18 psi, if the valve sprigs solve the back pressure issue and hoping it will hold up with the Manle pistons.

It will be interesting to see what the block looks like when it is apart since that was supposed to be the weak link.
Manle pistons? Do you mean Manley? There are several choices for pistons. I will say that mahle will never go in my block even if they are free. My first choices would be wiseco or diamond. Both can take tons of abuse, have thick ringlands and both 2618 alloy.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I meant Manley.
I know the alluminator has the Mahle pistons which are evidently weaker .
I think they are a 4032-alloy that are supposed to be quieter .
Definitely going to use the Manley in the 5.2 build .
Sponsored