Sponsored

Happy Beta Tester of Whipple's Hesitation Fix

Brilliant1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT
Well, as a few others have mentioned, Whipple is aware there is a "hiccup" or "hesitation" issue that is thought to be caused by the Bypass valve shutting too quickly when moving into boost from a vacuum.

I pleaded with the guys at Whipple and they decided to add me to the list of lucky beta testers.

They overnighted me a small box.

Inside was a instruction sheet with nice big pictures showing what was involved with the install.

It only took about an hour and would have gone much faster but I was working on straightening out some of my SC Coolant lines.

Anyway, I took the throttle body off easily with only 4 allen bolts.

Once off, I had reasonable access to the bypass valve.

I put the small brass fitting shown inside the bypass valve thus limiting flow from a AA down to about the size of a push pin hole.

I put it in the plastic inlet on the bypass valve firmly but gently. I then put the bypass hose over it and reinstalled the other end where the original was.

I went for a drive.

I knew immediately the issue was fixed! (almost completely)

90% of the hesitation is gone and I am VERY happy. If I had to live with it like this I would be glad to.

The better news is that I dont!

The rest of the issue is likely to be fixed by a new calibration that is currently under validation testing at Ford. As of now they hope to get the thumbs up from Ford and then make it available in about a month or two.

Anyway. I was lucky enough to be a Beta tester and they said it was ok to share the good news just be patient with them while they finalize the solution and know that it is well on its way!

Cheers!

:cheers:
image1.jpg
image5.jpg
image2.jpg
Sponsored

v8ter

Typing...
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG GT 2015 50TH
Great to hear!!!

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
So basically when the bypass valve shuts too quickly, the supercharger didn't have enough air to ramp up to the atmospheric pressure for the engine to breath properly because it takes time for the air to travel through the supercharger.
Adding this restrictor, the valve closes slower allowing the supercharger to suck enough air before going into boost mode so it's a smoother transition.

Furore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 6A
Thanks for the update! Glad you pushed on them to come up with a solution.

@WhippleSC any news on when the rest of the population will have this???

Thanks!

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I'd say if you don't have the issue.. why fix what ain't broke :) There are farrrrr more out there without the issue than with the issue.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've also been bata testing for this issue for about a week now. The brass bypass restrictor is (test 1) and the other is the hose that connects to the vac side of the SC (test 2). When testing the brass restrictor I had an issue with the bypass restrictor not being seated all the way In the bypass nipple and it came out and was floating in the hose. The brass piece needs to be pushed all the way into the last step to seat it properly. Anyway I tried today the test 2 hose that connects the bypass to the vac side of the SC and took out the brass restrictor as they are not meant to be run together. After a ride it was apparent to me the car didn't like it setup this way more transition problems and stumble and hesitation. I went home an reinserted the brass restrictor test 1 but this time seated it properly. I after a ride it seems that the hesitation stumble was reduced except for 6th gear 2k rpm when it hits 0 vac at 1/4 throttle. This is a very high load condition and the hesitation happens everytime. I think the brass restrictor helps reduce the condition in gears 1-5, but not 6th according to my test.

Here is how far the brass restrictor should be seated in the nipple.

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Had one in my 2011 with a 2.9L Whipple. Worked flawlessly.

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Hmmm...This is kinda how i feel about this one
Not all have, in fact almost all do not have an issue. As the calibration has a bypass strategy built in and it's been calibrated. The bypass and throttle need to work together, if they don't then you will feel a bobble. The restrictor is a small fix for those that have felt a bobble. We are looking mechanically and electronically why this has popped up.

Note this is ONLY for manual transmissions. Auto's will never experience this.

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I feel this hesitation slightly but it was way more apparent a few cals ago before i switched to the 72lb injectors. Thanks for the update Whipple!

I drive my car alot (17k miles since the install) and in all types of weather 0-100 degrees sunny, rainy or heavy snow and all types traffic conditions, and besides this slight hesitation my car runs lawlessly!

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
One thing we've noticed on some installs, the MAF sensor facing up or towards the firewall. The MAF sensor should always be facing the front of the vehicle. Moving the sensor location changes the flow characteristics. It's important to always keep this as shown in the instructions.
Sponsored