Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
My luck with the Mustang continues. Friday, on my way to work I'm heading up the freeway onramp and hear a noise. Car continues to run normally with no apparent issues. Boost is ok, temps are ok, no smoke, engine is smooth. I get to work and smell that sweet coolant smell. As I lift the hood, there's a slight hint of steam and a good puddle of coolant forming from the block near the turbo. My coolant reservoir is half gone at this point.

I head over to AutoNation Ford in Tustin. It's less than a mile from work I can't risk getting to the Ford dealer closer to home with that leak. At the end of Friday, they were unable to find the source of the leak in the obvious places, and since there's no oil, smoke, or abnormal tailpipe emissions, we're confident the oil/coolant barriers have not been breached.

Saturday afternoon, they said they found the leak. Somehow the block cracked, on the passenger side not far from the turbo. This kind of a crack would not have been caused by anything else I've seen online, and definitely NOT related to other EB failures people have had recently. The car has about 7,800 miles on the clock. :tsk:

The dealer's conclusion is that there may have been a (very rare) defect in casting on my block. They're ordering an entire new engine on Monday, pending Ford's write-off. I'm sure shortly after my engine will be on its way back to Dearborn (or more likely Allen Park) for Ford to dissect and figure out what went wrong. This type of failure is very rare, and I haven't found any prior case like this with the 2.3L engine.

This type can't really be attributed to 'first year' or 'second year' problems, since the block itself isn't new. It's been used for the 2.0L EcoBoost and various Mazda engines (it's a derivative of the Mazda L engine) since 2001. :shrug:

Meanwhile, I've got a rental... a 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Quad Cab with the big 3.5L EcoBoost. It's a fun truck for sure. But damn, my car has to be cursed. :frusty:

TL;DR: Block cracked in a fluke defect, allowing coolant to leak profusely. Engine internals are OK, dealer is ordering a new engine.

Lastly, please do NOT attribute this to ANY OTHER problems people have had with this engine reported here. This is a completely different failure and has nothing to do with the others. The last thing we all need is some stupid "EcoBoom" thread of bullshittery.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
These EB engines started on a rough road.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Hoping for a speedy resolution!

bradleyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
damn thats ruff, by the way I live in anaheim too, but have the v6, seems that the ecoboost have been plagued with problems

Brian V

USA Retired
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015ecoboost premium 201A Nav Sec Race Red
Keep us informed with whatever this unexpected and unforseen by FOMOCO QC .....which does not exist ... until the flaws become evident ....

Best wishes this dealer is able to Return the Ecoboost better than ever .

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Ford approved the warranty to replace the engine. Brand-new off the line, not a remanufactured one. Should arrive Friday or Monday, and another week to install it.

So far, the service I've received at AutoNation Ford in Tustin has been excellent, and completely trouble-free!

I did request photos of the crack before the engine is hushed away to Michigan, I'll share them when I have them.

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
How many miles did you manage to get on it before it blew?

Jetboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem / 1999 Yellow GT Convt.
Glad they are replacing it! :headbang:

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
Yeah most likely is, hope your new motor lasts

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
Here's a photo showing where the crack is. Can't really see the crack (go figure) but it's definitely there...

View attachment 76561

Last edited:

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
looks like a casting defect, I've seen it on a few engines over the years, Be glad yours went early, I saw one on a BMW that went after about 3 years, You could see where the aluminum was way more porous around the area that cracked. In Germany Warranties are only 2 years so bad luck for the owner. The good news was it was in a non load bearing part of the engine close to the oil pump. so it was only slightly weeping oil. We JB welded it and as far as I know it's still holding fine 2 years later.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a bad casting? I sure hope Ford checks their blocks.

347CobraII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Casting flaws do happen from way casting was poured or how it cooled down. Seen blocks, head with chucks of sand mold imbedded in casting. I've seen engines have oil leak on side of cyl head it high pressure oil galley for HEUI system. Block crack through main bearing bulkhead on new engine. Sorry it does happen not like it was done on purpose to piss someone off

OP
OP
Dirtyblueshirt

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Tasteā„¢
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
It just gets better...

When the dealer called, he mentioned he had some bad news. When the techs were re-installing the front bumper, they dropped the bumper cover and damaged it. There's a good gouge on the top and two areas on the edge where it was also gouged. I have to take it back next week to get repaired. Again.

When I got home, I was looking at the engine, and as I was showing my dad the pony on the hood (parents are in town this week, so it's the first chance they've had to see the car in person) I noticed that they had not only scratched the hell out of the underside of the hood in several places, but then they tried to HIDE it with a black sharpie (they did not tell me about this damage)!

I'm at my wit's end with this car. it's been nothing but bad luck; between getting rear ended in November, and the subsequent 69 days of repair (because it wasn't done right the first time), to the cracked block, to the damage done at the dealership... I don't know what to do. I want to trade it in and start over, but I simply can't afford that right now. I don't even know if there's anything Deysha @FordService can do?

:frusty: :( :brokenheart:

View attachment 76717

View attachment 76718

View attachment 76719
Sponsored

Last edited: