Sponsored

BMR Suspension S550 Mustang CB006 Front Chassis Brace - Final Product & Installation

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There’s no denying the S550 is the best Mustang to roll off the assembly line. Even in base trim, the combination of power and agility is unrivaled by any Pony in the nameplate’s 50-plus year history. With a chassis as capable as the S550, many enthusiasts didn’t see the need for aftermarket components. The sheer fact is no matter how the factory builds the chassis, there is always room for improvement. When FoMoCo designs a car, its sole intention is to appeal to the masses. That means the car needs to perform, but it had to be quiet and compliant so that hotrodders AND their wives want to drive it.

Enter BMR Suspension. BMR has made a name for itself by building suspension components that dramatically improve a car’s performance. One of its largest market segments is S197 Mustang, but when the S550 was released, the Seffner, Florida-based company jumped in early in an effort to dominate the S550 market. Over a year and a half later, BMR is still releasing new and innovative products for Ford’s newest iteration of the famous Pony car.

BMR’s most recent S550-based product is the CB006 Front Chassis Brace which many Mustang6G members have been eagerly anticipating since development began last year.

“The brace connects the back side of the front lower control arm mounts to the lower legs of the K-member,” explains Pete Epple, Marketing Tech for BMR Suspension.

“This strengthens a few key areas of the front suspension, starting with the control arm pick-up points. By adding extra rigidity to these mounts, the deflection normally seen when fore, aft, and lateral loads are applied to the chassis is almost completely eliminated. Secondly, the rear section of the CB006 provides solid lateral support to the rear section of the K-member. This combination gives you a significant increase in front chassis rigidity, which increases steering response and overall positive feel in performance handling situations, and all for just $99.”

We wanted to take closer look at BMR’s CB006 and how it installs on the S550 chassis. The brace is solid, but considerably lighter than we expected, weighing in at just 9 pounds. The brace is primarily built from rectangular steel tubing, with some DOM steel tubing for the front mounts. The rear section mounts to the K-member with formed steel plate. BMR supplies CNC-machined billet aluminum inserts to keep the K-member from collapsing when the brace is bolted down.

As for the installation, it’s a walk in the park. Pete Epple tells us that the brace is simple to install and can be done with hand tools in less than an hour.

The BMR team was nice enough to invite us in to see just what goes into installing the CB006. So we headed to Florida to follow along as BMR Suspension mechanic, Colt Mills installed the CB006 on one of BMR’s S550 Mustangs. Follow along as we show you how to add some rigidity to the front of your S550 with the help of BMR Suspension.

BMR_CB006-01.jpg

BMR_CB006-02.jpg

BMR Suspension’s CB006 Front Chassis Brace is designed to reinforce and strengthen the front lower control arm mounts and rear legs of the K-member.

BMR_CB006-03.jpg

BMR_CB006-04.jpg

The brace is constructed from a mix of rectangular steel tubing, DOM steel tubing, and formed steel plate. It attaches on the backside of the lower control arm mounts and on the back legs of the K-member using existing holes. The kit also includes CNC-machined billet aluminum spacers to prevent the K-member from collapsing when the bolts are tightened.

BMR_CB006-05.jpg

The installation is straightforward and simple. BMR mechanic, Colt Mills had to slow down so we could get out pictures. Realistically this can be installed in about a half hour in your driveway with basic hand tools, a jack, and jackstands.

BMR_CB006-07.jpg

BMR_CB006-06.jpg

After removing the lower control arm bolts from the K-member, the CB006 Chassis Brace is raised into position.

BMR_CB006-08.jpg

The control arm bolts are loosely reinstalled to hold the brace in place while the rear of the installation is done.

BMR_CB006-09.jpg

The supplied billet aluminum spacers are then placed in the K-member and slid into position. They are installed in a larger hole just in front of the hole that is actually used.

BMR_CB006-10.jpg

Once they are slide into position, the supplied bolts can be installed. These go through the plate on the rear portion of the brace, a factory hole in the K-member, and through the spacers. At this point, keep these bolts loose.

BMR_CB006-11.jpg

Next the bolts are retightened. Start with the control arm bolts on the front. This will draw the brace forward into the correct position. After the control arm bolts are tightened, tighten the rear bolts.

BMR_CB006-12.jpg

BMR_CB006-18.jpg

Installation is complete!

BMR_CB006-13.jpg

BMR_CB006-14.jpg

BMR_CB006-15.jpg

The CB006 leaves plenty of room for the factory or aftermarket headers and exhaust systems.

BMR_CB006-16.jpg

BMR_CB006-17.jpg

The design of the brace prevents any deflection in the lower control arm mount.

We know the overwhelming demand for this product will cause limited supplies so BMR Suspension and Mustang6G have teamed up for our latest Giveaway Contest! BMR will set aside the VERY first production piece CB006 in bare non-coated, ready to be given to the winner in their choice of color! See the Giveaway Contest details here.

Many thanks to Pete Epple, Kelly Aiken and the entire BMR Suspension team! For questions on the CB006 front chassis brace, installation, and ordering/availability info, keep tuned to @BMR Tech, @BMR Suspension and @BMR Tech 2.
Sponsored

Beef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 S550 GT
Looks like a nice piece!! Looks like I have found my front brace :)

Last edited:

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
When is this going to be on the BMR site for ordering?

Tb8983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
What are the red braces by the transmission. New crossmember of some sort

Sponsored

Tweezy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
17'GT on Order
Great write up! BMR FTW! :thumbsup:

Tim5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT PP, 67 Ford Bronco, 16 Focus RS
Looks like I'm in at $99. Black hammer tone. If I can't get in by phone today in batch 1, I'll definitely jump on batch 2!

Sponsored

PandaPony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
It sounds great for the street. Are there any downsides when taking it to the strip?

Coaster

RallyNorthAmerica.com
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.imprtcl.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
'15 Fastback GT Guard

Yellowjacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Car
Like it! But How much more NVH with this? Is this just for the track or is it comfortably streetable?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I highly doubt this will create much NVH. Certainly not as much as IRS bushings and/or a transmission bracket. But... I didn't design the thing nor do I have it. And I'm anti-social so I'm waiting for it to be available on the website before I order it, haha.

GTerGone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT; '07 Sport Trac 4.6L
Looks good!
Sponsored