Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
ford-mustang-american-muscle-logo_zps8065c96a.png

2015-ford-mustang-rtr_100488919_l.jpg

Click Below to Buy Exclusively from American Muscle:
RTR UPPER AND LOWER GRILLES

Disclaimer:
The RTR Grilles are direct factory replacements and ARE compatible with the forthcoming RTR Grille Lights.

Tools Needed:
5.5mm Socket
7mm Socket
8mm Socket
1/4" Drive Ratchet
Panel Removal Tool
Flat Head Screw Driver
Blanket
Optional: Nut Driver and 7mm Ratcheting Wrench

Difficulty Level:
2 out of 12 Beers

Parts List:
RTR Upper Grille
RTR Lower Grille

Preparation:
Raise the vehicle from the front and place on jackstands.

Video:

>>>Coming Soon<<<

Installation:

With the front of the vehicle on jackstands, pull out the RTR Grilles and inspect your parts.

Remove the front wheels.

F616A9EE-5741-4260-96D5-873C3D032CA8.jpg

With the wheels removed, it will be much easier to remove the "dreaded" 7mm bolt between the fender and the bumper.

Remove the (4) retaining clips inside of the front of the wheel well liner. This will allow you to "peel" back the wheel well liner and gain access to the 7mm bolt between the fender and the bumper.

A8B1F7FA-3353-4A79-96C3-AA270E814107.jpg

0D7CA58C-5CB2-4750-9ECB-DF906A135979.jpg

6FEB8807-C901-4222-927B-AB5CE51167CE.jpg

Use a 7mm ratcheting wrench to make quick work of this bolt.

3EDE9EFD-0E1B-4911-933D-FC4F80C00DCE_1.jpg

Pop the hood and remove all of the retaining clips securing the radiator cover and set the radiator cover aside.

0A355EC5-CB14-48BA-95D6-2ACC485FF171.jpg

FB33B21B-9CC8-4697-9364-B7646308BEC9_1.jpg

Peel back the weather stripping on either end of the radiator cover to expose and remove the 5.5mm bolt.

C45CAB88-0A91-4642-A29B-581E49FF72C1.jpg

You have (6) 8mm bolts running across the front bumper. Remove each of these 8mm bolts securing the bumper to the bumper support.

88D9CB52-5CDD-4A84-86F8-42788D141CD9.jpg

Head underneath the vehicle and remove the belly pan, which is secured by (13) 7mm bolts along the front splitter, (2) 7mm bolts towards the middle of the belly pan, and (4) 7mm bolts near the rear of the belly pan.

40258A8A-FA0A-487F-AEC4-13200662ED05_3.jpg

70CAA0B2-EDAA-4588-9BA1-DC7906BF2547_2.jpg

1EB1EE22-CC35-46EB-9A9E-A2942284E0B7_1.jpg

Once you have removed all of the 7mm bolts from the belly pan, slide it towards the rear of the vehicle and drop it.

Unplug the harness for the side marker light, and remove the fog light bulbs and the turn signal bulbs by rotating them 90* counter-clockwise and pulling them out of the housings.

The bumper is now ready to be removed. Head to the side of the bumper where the "dreaded" 7mm bolt secured the bumper to the fender. Using a quick tugging motion away from the vehicle, the bumper will pop right out. Do the same on the other side.

8C3A9590-0F07-4E50-AE77-C6A82B895F21_4.jpg

Before removing the bumper, you'll want to lay a blanket down to lay the bumper on it's face for the removal of the OEM grilles.

Standing in front of the vehicle in the center of the bumper, you'll be able to pull the bumper up and off of the bumper support, and away from the vehicle.

5EE8769E-C765-470D-B204-BCE4B70FB27B.jpg

3B0DCD16-09A6-4275-B7F8-A7ADAC3EB6B9_2.jpg

Lay the bumper face down on the blanket on a soft surface. Using your thumb as a pry tool, you'll want to separate the core bumper support from between the OEM grilles. Simply pry on the tabs while pulling the bumper core upward to remove and set aside. You will reuse this core support.

1443DDEF-2040-4C7B-9185-C58C9DA193D2_3.jpg

91D45455-9190-48BA-9C8D-7B02612039C9_2.jpg

1C2A7B12-C000-4F90-A06E-A7A61B3C6A5C_1.jpg

4C040BFB-8C43-49A3-BA75-2AF593685035_2.jpg

Now you are ready to remove and replace the grilles!

Feel free to crack open that 2nd beer.

You'll want to take note that there are (2) tabs that are used along the securing points on the grilles. The plastic tab is part of the grilles, and the painted tab is a part of the bumper.

You'll want to take a flat head screwdriver, or your preferred pry tool, and slide it between the plastic tab and the painted tab. Gently pry the plastic tab away from the painted tab ever so slightly. You really just need a little room created for some give.

Once you spread the tabs a bit, push the painted tab towards the plastic tab to free the painted "lip" from the grille and pull the grille in an upward motion to remove the grille from the bumper.

You have several tabs around the entire upper and lower grilles. Work cautiously across the grille, starting on one side, and making your way across the grille removing the upper and lower tabs along the way.

Once you've removed one or two tabs, you'll have no problem removing the remainder of the tabs.

Be careful not to break any plastic tabs, as they are essential in securing a good connection with the factory bumper.

Here's the comparison of the RTR Lower Grille and my hand built Strongarm Grille.

01C2000C-BCDB-4F02-B9F7-560E025F8EE0_1.jpg

With the OEM grilles removed, you can now place the new RTR Grilles into place. You'll want to work in the same fashion from one side to the other. Be sure to get a solid connection where the painted "lip" of the bumper tab goes all the way through the plastic of the grill and "snaps" into place.

I found it helpful to have one hand under the face of the bumper applying opposite pressure as I was pressing the grill into place.

Once you have the grilles snapped into place into the bumper, you are ready to reverse the steps and secure the bumper back on the vehicle.

15CEFF03-FF93-498B-AFCE-87F52E958888.jpg

Be sure press the core bumper support into tabs of the grill before mounting the bumper back on the car.

Hang the bumper on the front of the bumper support. Pop each side of the bumper into the clips near the fender. Reinstall the 7mm bolt securing the bumper to the fender. Reinstall the retaining clips in the wheel well liner. Mount the wheel. Install the 8mm bolts along the front of the bumper where it mounts to the bumper support. Install the 5.5mm bolts along side each end of the radiator cover under the weather stripping. Reinstall the radiator cover using the retaining clips. Head under the vehicle and reinstall the belly pan using the 7mm bolt previously removed.

Lower the vehicle off of the jackstands and admire your work and the craftsmanship of the folks at RTR!

CA814DE1-5C2C-4337-995F-6A2B2D84F1FA_1.jpg

Before Pics:

FullShot.jpg

After Pics: (Much better after pics to come)

2B71040D-D0C6-4A22-A9EE-765E622BE71F.jpg

RTRGrill.jpg

ParkingGarageSmear.jpg

RTRLeviStadium.jpg

LowLowRTRLeviStadium.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

SD_GT

4-Banger
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nope
Vehicle(s)
Red.
Looks good bro! Saw it on your IG and was actually surprised you did it though

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Grilles look good Nick! And as always, great write-up! :thumbsup:

Kuronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Awesome writeup. Will definitely use this when I buy the rtr led grills when they come out

knightvision

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alvin
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT "Triple Yellow"
Thanks for the excellent write-up! Still like the custom grill better... IMHO

Sponsored

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Damn Nick.....I'm gonna have to step up my game on the install threads after seeing this, lol

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Great write-up, man! I've been debating between a grille identical to your custom "Strongarm" grille and the RTR. I just can't decide, though! CustomCarGrills told me that they're working on a DIY kit for that thick woven wire diamond mesh, though, so I may go that route as it'll look identical but me much less expensive than a RaceMesh grille. However, I have to ask, what are you planning on doing with your Strongarm grille now that you have the RTR installed? You looking to sell it by chance because it's exactly what I'm looking for! That RTR does look good, though. Decisions, decisions...

EDIT: I have to say, that howler badge looks pretty kick ass on the RTR grille. I have that same badge coming very soon (antique silver with black fill) and I'm not sure how it would look on that 1/4" diamon woven wire mesh grille. It sure looks good on the RTR, though. Fuck. That just made my decision that much harder!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Project Whitemare

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Looks good bro! Saw it on your IG and was actually surprised you did it though
Yeah man, had to do it. With everyone else rocking the grille delete and some mesh grilles as well, I wanted something to stand apart a little bit. The angle of the fangs and the LED accent is what made my mind.

Grilles look good Nick! And as always, great write-up! :thumbsup:
Appreciate that brother. I try to make them easy enough to follow for the beginners, but worthy of a read from the experienced guys. Not too complicated, not too basic.

Awesome writeup. Will definitely use this when I buy the rtr led grills when they come out
Go ahead and order the grilles now and you'll be able to just add the LEDs later. Shoot a PM to Alex and he will take great care of you on them! I'm really excited to get the lights too.

Thanks for the excellent write-up! Still like the custom grill better... IMHO
Thank you for both the compliment on my write-up and also my grilles. I work hard on them, but it's not rocket science. Just a steady hand, some patience, and a lot of plastic and metal dust inhalation! Hahah!

I really do like my grilles too. But this is just a bit more of a difference from OEM and the lights are what have me sold.

I had cut out some mesh and considered putting it in the corners for the time being to get the best of both worlds, but it just didn't look right.

Damn Nick.....I'm gonna have to step up my game on the install threads after seeing this, lol
Tony, you do a great job with your write-ups! You get the credit for me taking off the wheels to make it easier. Well worth the extra step. Made that bolt effortless vs the last time I removed the bumper.

Great write-up, man! I've been debating between a grille identical to your custom "Strongarm" grille and the RTR. I just can't decide, though! CustomCarGrills told me that they're working on a DIY kit for that thick woven wire diamond mesh, though, so I may go that route as it'll look identical but me much less expensive than a RaceMesh grille. However, I have to ask, what are you planning on doing with your Strongarm grille now that you have the RTR installed? You looking to sell it by chance because it's exactly what I'm looking for! That RTR does look good, though. Decisions, decisions...
Can't go wrong either way really. I really do love the angle of the factory fangs, but it's just a bit too common for me. I made the switch because I liked the idea of the small change of angle to the fangs and mainly the LEDs.

You could always mount an LED light at behind my grilles, but it'd be a completely different effect.

CustomCarGrills is where I buy my mesh from. So, you can make your own grilles if you had the patience. I'd gladly walk you through the process if you're interested.

It's frustrating at times, and time consuming, but a great sense of accomplishment when you are done.

I will be selling the grilles that I just pulled off the car.

Bhoris

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black S550 GTPP
Can't go wrong either way really. I really do love the angle of the factory fangs, but it's just a bit too common for me. I made the switch because I liked the idea of the small change of angle to the fangs and mainly the LEDs.

You could always mount an LED light at behind my grilles, but it'd be a completely different effect.

CustomCarGrills is where I buy my mesh from. So, you can make your own grilles if you had the patience. I'd gladly walk you through the process if you're interested.

It's frustrating at times, and time consuming, but a great sense of accomplishment when you are done.

I will be selling the grilles that I just pulled off the car.
How much are you planning on selling the grill you just pulled off the car for? If the price is decent, I'd be extremely interested in both the upper and lower. But, yea, both grilles looks killer. I just can't seem to decide between those two. I really like the look of that howler badge on the RTR grille, though. I have that same badge coming (AS with black fill) and I can't picture it on the woven wire mesh grille. I'm sure it'd look good on either, though.

Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Long day here fellas! Just seeing this now.

Thanks so much for going the extra mile.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

Alex

suckerv

IG: @amelias550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Deep Impact Blue
Tony, you do a great job with your write-ups! You get the credit for me taking off the wheels to make it easier. Well worth the extra step. Made that bolt effortless vs the last time I removed the bumper.
I'll tell you this...my install threads definitely need moar beer :cheers:

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
what chin spoiler is this in the first picture and where do ya get it?

2015-ford-mustang-rtr_100488919_l.jpg

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
that's the rtr splitter. not out yet.
Sponsored