Sponsored

Limp Mode on the Track

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I took my base GT350 to the track (Palm Beach Intl Raceway) for the first time this weekend. First off, the car was unbelievable and was tearing up everything on the track. I am a novice driver, and the car even made me look good.

My intention was to take it easy, but the adrenaline and capabilities of the car got the better of me, and I was basically running as fast as I possibly could. Anyway, on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th session, after about 15-20 mins, the car went into limp mode and I had to cut the session short and return to the pit. Oil temps were around 225-230. I am not sure about water temp or cyl head temps.

I called Ford Performance, and they were basically no help saying I should have bought the Track Pack if I intended to track the car.

Wondering if anyone else with a base car has done any track days and their experience, and recommendations for Differential, Transmission or other changes that could address the issue.... If I took the car into the dealer would the IDS show exactly what caused the limp mode?

Next time this happens, I will be better prepared to look at all the temps, but I would have no clue what transmission and differential temps are.

Thanks...this forum rocks!

BTW, I met another GT350 owner at the track and he had no idea about the Track Attack events...just like I would have if not for this forum...I'm signed up for June 14
Sponsored

OP
OP
jaubrey

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Also, would you change the oil after the track day...and should I run something other than 5W-50 in Florida.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
From what we are hearing from other track runs, it's the transmission that heats up after about 20 minutes enough to activate the program limits. Need to look into aftermarket cooling options for the transmission, there should be a factory kit for the differential available.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Transmission and diff temperature for sure.

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Unfortunately you are now the 3rd case I have read about on the forums, first two were tranny temps and I suspect yours is the same

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I took my base GT350 to the track (Palm Beach Intl Raceway) for the first time this weekend. First off, the car was unbelievable and was tearing up everything on the track. I am a novice driver, and the car even made me look good.

My intention was to take it easy, but the adrenaline and capabilities of the car got the better of me, and I was basically running as fast as I possibly could. Anyway, on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th session, after about 15-20 mins, the car went into limp mode and I had to cut the session short and return to the pit. Oil temps were around 225-230. I am not sure about water temp or cyl head temps.

I called Ford Performance, and they were basically no help saying I should have bought the Track Pack if I intended to track the car.

Wondering if anyone else with a base car has done any track days and their experience, and recommendations for Differential, Transmission or other changes that could address the issue.... If I took the car into the dealer would the IDS show exactly what caused the limp mode?

Next time this happens, I will be better prepared to look at all the temps, but I would have no clue what transmission and differential temps are.

Thanks...this forum rocks!

BTW, I met another GT350 owner at the track and he had no idea about the Track Attack events...just like I would have if not for this forum...I'm signed up for June 14
I like your idea of taking it to the dealer to see whether they can determine where the high temperatures were that caused the limp condition. It would help so you would know how to prioritize modifications/additions of coolers.

Yes, I would change the engine oil after a track day. You could go as far as changing all fluids, including brake fluid. What I did after my last track day was to ask the dealer to check the fluids and replace if necessary. The engine oil I just told them to change.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
1 track day for all fluids is a bit extreme

Sponsored

Rick R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Mustang
1 track day for all fluids is a bit extreme
Completely extreme. You can run several track days on the same change of Castrol SRF.

10splaya22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
F150
As others have said I read another member on a different forums that went into limp mode due to the tranny temp as well.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Hmmm... hey John when you say limp mode, how did it display on the screen? And did it stay displayed for a lengthy time and then disappear? What mode were you in- Sport or Track?

When I tracked mine in Sport mode, on a few occasions I had the Stability kick in when I pushed it hard in the corners/apexes and it bumped me down to Normal mode with a message displayed as "Drive mode unavailable" until like 10+ seconds later (or even up to almost a minute later) when I was able to toggle it back to Sport mode again. At Homestead and Sebring, I never encountered limp mode... knocking on wood here since I'll be back in Sebring on 2/28.

OP
OP
jaubrey

jaubrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hmmm... hey John when you say limp mode, how did it display on the screen? And did it stay displayed for a lengthy time and then disappear? What mode were you in- Sport or Track?

When I tracked mine in Sport mode, on a few occasions I had the Stability kick in when I pushed it hard in the corners/apexes and it bumped me down to Normal mode with a message displayed as "Drive mode unavailable" until like 10+ seconds later (or even up to almost a minute later) when I was able to toggle it back to Sport mode again. At Homestead and Sebring, I never encountered limp mode... knocking on wood here since I'll be back in Sebring on 2/28.

It didn't display anything...just when I went to get on it, there was no power there..kind of capped me at 60-80 mph or an rpm range. I was in normal mode the first time it happened (I just forgot to put in sport mode). 2nd and 3rd time I was in Sport mode. I was going to try track mode, but I got squirrely a couple of times also and didn't want to spin out.