A better leaf blower

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
For those that use or want to use a leaf blower to dry off their cars. I put this together to show how to take it to the next level and improve upon just using a leaf blower.

Can also be referred to as a poor man's master blaster :D

First you need a leaf blower. When choosing a leaf blower there are three important things to consider when buying.

1. Must be electric
2. You want the highest CFM number that you can find. This determines how much air it can move.
3. Cost. No need to go buy a super high dollar blower.

Here is the one I have. I picked it up at Sears for $34 bucks.

I chose it because it was cheap and has a very high CFM rating

Now let's take it to the next level.

Head to Home Depot and you will need to pick up two items.

The first is found in the plumbing isle. You will need this because mine and almost all of the electric leaf blowers on the market now don't have a round nozzle.

They look like this

I don't know why the change from a round nozzle to this configuration but we won't let that get in the way.

Here is the first item

This is a rubber connector that is 3" on one end and 2" on the other and is $6.99

The second item which is $19.97, make sure you get this specific item. The reason is, the hose on this item is only 7 feet long. All of the other wet/dry vacuum hoses regardless of brand are longer and gets to be cumbersome.

I know you are thinking. Why not just cut the hose. You cannot do that because the hose is flanged on each end and if you cut it, the connector will not fit in the hose.

The hose kit comes with the following three connectors

Use the one on the left and insert it into the 2" opening of the rubber flange. It fits nice and snug and after you tighten down the clamp is not going anywhere.

Slide the 3" side of the flange onto the leaf blower and tighten down the clamp. The rubber will mold itself to the shape of the leaf blower and will be nice and tight.

To prevent any damage from the clamps, screws and to seal all of the openings. I picked up some black duct tape from Wal-Mart for $3.99 to make it look nicer. Can't be all ghetto and use the silver tape :D

Finally, attach the hose to the connector and here is the finished product

You can use any 2 1/2" wet/dry vacuum nozzle regardless of manufacture because they are all the same size.

I prefer this one
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-...0916933000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

Now you have way more control and flexibility on where you are blowing and you can even take it to the next level and build a wheeled cart for the blower if you don't feel like holding it.

And nothing was permanently modified.

I hope this is helpful.
Sponsored

shobbs007

Forensicator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Race Red/PP; 2009 Tundra RW
Dam good idea man. I happen to have one of those hoses that I don't use anymore. Time for a blower mod :D

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
This is brilliant!

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Whether you use an electric or battery operated one. Modifying the leaf blower like presented here is a million times better.

1. Using a standard leaf blower you always have to stand away from the car the distance of the nozzle plus another foot or two to keep it away from the paint. Putting you at a greater risk of smacking the car while you wave it back and forth like a sword. Lack of control. Just watch any Utube video demonstrating a leaf blower and notice sword waving and lack of control.

2. I am short so drying the roof, if I use just the blower I have to hold it above my head because the nozzle does not bend which puts the motor at ear level and not good for hearing. Now I am waving it back and forth like a sword above my head which risks bumping it into the car and going deaf at the same time.

3. When the air comes out of the leaf blower nozzle it is designed to spread out. When you dry the car, you want the air to be concentrated which makes it more effective.

The benefits of using the added hose.

1. I can get my body closer to the car for better control. Less chance of accidentally hitting the car.

2. I can keep the blower away from my head, so I don't risk going deaf. It is now beside my body instead of directly in front of it. I can use my body as a protector from hitting the car with it.

3. There are many different inexpensive attachments that can be used to really control the air flow.

4. It is a cheap modification

5. It works so much better :D

Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Not bad man, I'm really liking the idea of Leaf Blowing the vehicle dry instead of going over the damn thing with a shammy. Definitely one of the next things im buying for the car.

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a great idea!

Wish the end of the added hose would be more narrow. I can't judge though because I haven't tried it yet.

OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Seems like a great idea!

Wish the end of the added hose would be more narrow. I can't judge though because I haven't tried it yet.
The flexibility is what makes it so versatile.

There are many different ways you can configure it. If you feel the hose is too big. All you need is this.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-1-2-in-to-1-4-in/p-00916999000P

And use the smaller hose. The hose might be longer though. I didn't compare the size of the smaller hoses.

It is much cheaper than a master blaster, customizable and you can even build a wheeled cart for it if you don't want to hold it.

Sponsored

new302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
16 PP GT
How did you get around the micro switch safety feature that requires the tube to be inserted?

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I had an extra 'flat' head nozzle. I used a heat gun to gently warm the nozzle and squeezed it nearly flat. It really increased the air velocity...enough to sheet the rinse water off and leave a dry surface. I don't even need to use a micro-fiber towel.
Sponsored