Front bumper cover and hood alignment issues Fixed

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
So from the the get go my front bumper cover to hood alignment was off and left large gaps on the sides of the hood. Seems many 15/16 have this same issue. The center can be adjusted with the hood latch adjustment but that still leaves the side of the hood alignment to bumper cover off. Like mine most have the problem of the front hood sides near the head lights are too high leaving a large gap even the the center to front bumper are flush. Once you pull out the push pins to the top radiator cover you will see the screws that need shimming.

Here is the gap I'm talking about near the headlight hood to front cover.

Here is the small outer most 5.5mm screw, it's hidden under the rubber seal. I have 5 small washers shimming this up. From there work your way in shimming as needed and of course the closer you get to center the less shims/washers you need.

Here is the next screw in from the end toward the center, you can see the shims and you will need less as you move toward center.

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
NO FINISHED PICTURES? COME ON!!!!
Yeah sorry I'll get some up, but they won't be great for now becuase it tucked in the garage tight. Trust me it fixed it though.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Yeah sorry I'll get some up, but they won't be great for now becuase it tucked in the garage tight. Trust me it fixed it though.
I already adjusted my hood latch, and will absolutely do this fix.

What exactly are we shimming? is it the actual bumper cover?

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I already adjusted my hood latch, and will absolutely do this fix.

What exactly are we shimming? is it the actual bumper cover?
I also tried with the hood latch setting as low as possible to get the side near the lights down also lowering the rubber bump stops. The problem was that would end up with the center low and the side still not flush. The only alternative is shimming the bumper cover.

Yes the top plastic cover over the radiator once removed by popping out several pins exposes the bumper cover. Simply remove those screw holding the bumper cover on and shim with the washers. Make sure you find the most outer and smaller 7mm screw under the weather stripping as these will have the most effect on the shimming up and making the bumper cover now meet the curve of the hood and close that gap. I'll get some more picture for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Front bumper cover shimmed up.

Here is the top of the bumper cover with the plastic cover removed. All the screws on the ends are what have been shimmed up.

MELLOWYELLOW06

MELLOW 2.0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT PP
I have the same issue on mine and people are blaming the aftermarket hood fitment.

I noticed my old pictures with the stock hood had the same effect.

Will try this out.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I have the same issue on mine and people are blaming the aftermarket hood fitment.

I noticed my old pictures with the stock hood had the same effect.

Will try this out.

Thanks.
Yeah...my take on this is the hoods likely have the same radius and are consistent, but rather the issue is with the plastic bumper support underneath having inconsistent tolerances.

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium guard saddle 20 inch rims
I'm taking it to the dealer and have them deal with it under warranty.

Sponsored

cobrachris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium guard saddle 20 inch rims
Oh your welcome,I guess I have a better dealer than you.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I'm taking it to the dealer and have them deal with it under warranty.
I know it seems rediculous to be fixing a car under warranty, but so many have wasted time at the dealer getting gaffed off or they take the car and do nothing. Some have report many visits to the dealer with nothing better happening. Sometimes the dealers have agreed to fix it by sending it out to a body shop and it comes back worse or damaged. Of course these are internet horror stories, but my experience is dealerships often don't know how to deal with this stuff and ends up being tail chasing exercise.

nolezack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM Performance Pack
I know it seems rediculous to be fixing a car under warranty, but so many have wasted time at the dealer getting gaffed off or they take the car and do nothing. Some have report many visits to the dealer with nothing better happening. Sometimes the dealers have agreed to fix it by sending it out to a body shop and it comes back worse or damaged. Of course these are internet horror stories, but my experience is dealerships often don't know how to deal with this stuff and ends up being tail chasing exercise.
Agreed and your fix works and can be done in 5-10 mins.

:amen::cheers:

3 pedal metal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Thank you for posting, this is a great idea. I'm a huge DIYer and prefer working on my rides when possible. I will absolutely do this on mine.
Sponsored