Sponsored

Watson Engineering Roll Bar Install

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I made good progress today and have the main hoop bolted in place. I have a fair amount of travel the next two weeks so won't get to the down bars and reinstalling the interior until I'm back. Everything lined up great and I didn't have to do any grinding. I'm going to put it on the trailer and haul it to a buddy's place with a lift to install the down bars. It looks like a PITA to do it on stands. You have to drill 12 holes in the trunk and move the brake lines above the IRS so it will be much easier to do in the air.

I also went with their carpet kit which is pre-cut for the down bars. It sounds like getting the holes cut in the R delete kit is not fun so am really happy I went this route. Not to mention it's 1/3 the cost ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Got the down bars marked and bolted in place. Ready to drill the trunk. Open to recommendations on bits for anyone that's drilled this chassis. It's really tough to drill. Broke three bits installing the jack pads on the pinch weld. Also, does anyone know the torque spec for the 8mm bolts that secure the main hoop to the B pillar? They were little more than finger tight when I removed them. Watson said it's not in the service manual and recommended 44 ft/lbs, but that seems like a lot. The seat bolts are larger and only call for 35 ft/lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The OEM bolts were only 8.8 so I just ended up swapping them for grade 10.9 M8 x 1.25 x 30mm and SAE 5/16 grade 8 washers.

Sponsored

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350R, '11 Mustang GT
Staying tuned....

Another 6g member emailed his install pics to me. Do you mind if I post them on this thread?

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks [MENTION=17807]cloud9[/MENTION]

[MENTION=8748]Cobra[/MENTION]Guy was kind enough to email me pics of his install with FP RSD.
Edit: Sorry for pics config. Photos are right side-up in my folders.
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG
IMG_1631.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG

OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Cool, he did well on the RSD cuts. He and I were exchanging PMs on the install and he gave me a couple tips since he had a head start.

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool, he did well on the RSD cuts. He and I were exchanging PMs on the install and he gave me a couple tips since he had a head start.
Yes he did. Thought of cutting into a $1300+ piece of carpet scares me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yes he did. Thought of cutting into a $1300+ piece of carpet scares me.
Understandable. Tearing apart and drilling holes into a brand new $60,000 car used to scare me too :p

C7 B8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understandable. Tearing apart and drilling holes into a brand new $60,000 car used to scare me too :p
:hail::lol::thumbsup:

You are mounting a racing seat and 6pt harness, correct? I ordered a Watson 4-pt and keeping my factory recaros. On the fence whether 4pt ASM or 6 pt harness. Welcome any thoughts.

My s197 has race seats and 6-pt harness but was hoping to keep the Gt350 a bit more street friendly.

OP
OP
cloud9

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
:hail::lol::thumbsup:

You are mounting a racing seat and 6pt harness, correct? I ordered a Watson 4-pt and keeping my factory recaros. On the fence whether 4pt ASM or 6 pt harness. Welcome any thoughts.

My s197 has race seats and 6-pt harness but was hoping to keep the Gt350 a bit more street friendly.
Yes I have a Sparco Circuit seat with halo and 6 point Schroth Profi II for Hans on a planted base with slider. I just bolt it in for the track and pop the stock seat back in for the street. It's only four bolts and the airbag connector, so it takes about 15 minutes. I just keep the shoulder harnesses rolled up on the harness bar with a Velcro strap for street use.

Cobra Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SP MKIII Cobra Roush 427SR, 2013 F250 FX4
C7 B8, thanks for posting the pictures for me. I hope they can help others getting ready to do the same thing.

Cloud9, you are making good progress. I wish I had seen the Watson pre-cut RSD before I purchased the Ford OEM. It sure would have removed the stress in cutting those holes plus it would of saved me some bucks.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Recaro Profi Seats, Sliders, and Planted seat mount. I did find a way to pull up the anti-submarine belts that made it more comfortable but it still tends to spread your legs to much. You are right that it is very easy to put the stock seats back in for street use.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Woo hoo! Looks GREAT!

I installed mine as well.

As for the bolts you mention, I torqued them to 335in/lbs. I also installed washers, as pictured below, because I wanted to ensure the clamping force was there, AND I wanted proper TQ to be met with those bolts.

I am very happy with this piece. It fit great.

I definitely had to get creative doing it solo.....fun stuff!
Sponsored