Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Or is it my driving?

Background:

Replaced my stock PP wheels and Pirellis with Velgens and Bridgestone Potenza S001s about 5k miles ago at the 11.5k mark. 20 X 9 & 275s up front and 20 X 10.5 & 295s in the rear. The rear Pirellis were done. The fronts had a little life left in them.

Removed the wheels and tires a couple of weeks ago to have the wheels powder coated.

Issue:

The rear Bridgestones are dang near shot. Only 3/32 of tread left. Almost time to replace them.

I drive the car in a spirited manner, but I don't spin or light up the wheels. Okay. I've spun them a time or two but I really don't drive that agressivley. Mostly commuting to the office and home.

The rear Bridgerstones are not even lasting as long as the rear Pirellis. The front Bridgstones are holding up well.

Am I stuck with having to replace my rear tires every 6 to 8 months?

Thoughts?
Sponsored

RegDir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium w/ PP
5k seems a little short for those tires. I've run the Potenza RE050's and usually got 10K out of them, still one season though. Maybe wanna ease up and let the SUVs win a few stoplight races.

You gotta pay to play with summer tires, I buy 4 new ones every year in the spring. Worth every penny.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I had RE050's and they lasted about 12k for me I think but I had an under powered RX-8.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I need to back off the pedal a bit and just live with the fact that I'll need new rear tires a couple of times a year.

Thanks for your input guys.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Its not the tire because that wear is not normal

Check the following

alignment
road conditions your driving
Your driving style ( big factor)

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Its not the tire because that wear is not normal

Check the following

alignment
road conditions your driving
Your driving style ( big factor)
Thanks, Paul. I had lowering springs installed at the time I put the Velgens and Bridgestone tires on. The shop is very reputable and I watched them do the alignment. Plus, the rear tires are wearing evenly. So I don't think it's an alignment issue.

I guess it's my driving style. But it's hard not to have a little fun driving these dang Mustangs. I'm an older dude and, as I said, I just consider my driving style spirited; not aggressive at all. Far from it. Oh well, . . . :cheers:

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
I understand brotha could be the driving style having a bit of fun can cause tires to go bad quick and the road biggest thing is the roads are they smooth, uneven etc.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I understand brotha could be the driving style having a bit of fun can cause tires to go bad quick and the road biggest thing is the roads are they smooth, uneven etc.
Roads here in Austin are prett good. Especially my commute highway which is a new toll road.

I'll try another set of Bridgestones on the rear pretty soon and see what happens.

I didn't buy this thing to poke along. :cheers:

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
Roads here in Austin are prett good. Especially my commute highway which is a new toll road.

I'll try another set of Bridgestones on the rear pretty soon and see what happens.

I didn't buy this thing to poke along. :cheers:
Austin roads are terrible! lol the tolls are really nice though.

Try some MPSS they are great.

I love that last line, lol. Same here.

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
I lowered my car as well and performed an alignment after about two weeks of driving. I burned through my potenzas in about 7k miles and was pissed.. i went back and got another alignment done and the shop told me my toe was about a degree off on both sides.. i'm really hoping the springs settled somehow pushing the toe out and that's why i got crappy treadlife.. i'll let you know in about 5k more miles..

Sponsored
OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
I lowered my car as well and performed an alignment after about two weeks of driving. I burned through my potenzas in about 7k miles and was pissed.. i went back and got another alignment done and the shop told me my toe was about a degree off on both sides.. i'm really hoping the springs settled somehow pushing the toe out and that's why i got crappy treadlife.. i'll let you know in about 5k more miles..
Please do let us know, Coyote. If simply needing another alignment is the trick to longer tread life on the rear tires, that would be great. :cheers:

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Toe will kill rubber even a degree can do harm.
When I put the next set of rears on, I will definitely have them check the alignment. Perhaps its gotten off after the lowering springs settled.

Thanks.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
When I put the next set of rears on, I will definitely have them check the alignment. Perhaps its gotten off after the lowering springs settled.

Thanks.
Typically after a 2 week break in you want to have the alignment checked since the springs settle it changes a tad.

Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT PP manual
http://imgur.com/a/QLQ9Y

Here is my latest alignment. I'll ck tread in March and see how it looks. I drive about 40 miles a day and will have a autocross down by then
Sponsored