Sponsored

My "Save my A$$" Performance Package kit

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
I love to road trip. Every since I went back to a staggered set up, I'm paranoid about a flat with no spare tire. Sunday, I decided to ease the anxiety and finish my flat tire kit. Waiting on the side of the road for 3+ hours on AAA is anything but exciting. With this kit I'm down for 45 minutes max.

-Kensun air compressor. I plugged it in, and it works! Already better than the pump Ford put in the trunk.
-ZL1 pinch weld adapter
-torque wrench with deep socket for my locking nuts
-35 piece tire repair kit
-1.5 ton scissor jack
- Stanley pliers

As you can see everything fits perfectly in the spare area and fits tight so I'm not getting rattles. Anything I should add to my kit to make things easier? Like a liter of bourbon?:cheers:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Nice kit, like the RBF streamer. So l was wondering about the Ford tire repair system, can it be used as a tire pump without injecting the sealant into the tire? Really haven't looked at mine that closely as l ended up getting the Ford spare tire kit.

DANA44

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 v6 convertible
I just ordered a spare tire kit. The problem I see with the inflators if you get a flat while traveling and break the bead I don't think they have enough power to reseat.

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Nice kit, like the RBF streamer. So l was wondering about the Ford tire repair system, can it be used as a tire pump without injecting the sealant into the tire? Really haven't looked at mine that closely as l ended up getting the Ford spare tire kit.
That's a good question and I'm not completely sure. Mine turned on for 5 seconds, shut off, and then will not turn back on. And the sealant ruins the tpms from what I've read so I figured this kit was my best bet. And unfortunately the Performance Package cars can't use the spare tire kit, so I made my own!

And Dana, you're probably right. This is more for the times when I come out and notice I have a flat and a nail or screw in my tire before driving it. It's happened to me 3 times in the past (luckily none on my mustang) and I didn't want to get caught without a means to fix it myself quickly.

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Something to think about if you have to use the plug type repair, almost all tire shops have gone away from using plug repairs and went to inner patches due to the fact that over time it was found that moisture would corrode the steel belts. It may be ok for an emergency "on the road repair" but you probably should get the tire patch repaired.

Sponsored

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah definitely! This was like you said, something to get me somewhere to repair it right kind of thing.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I just ordered a spare tire kit. The problem I see with the inflators if you get a flat while traveling and break the bead I don't think they have enough power to reseat.
Best case scenario would be if the tire pressure light came on and you were able to pull over immediately before the tire goes completely flat... once it has, I believe you are correct.

Having said that, there was one time when the tire had unseated from the bead and I was able to put a ratcheting strap around the tire circumference and ratchet the entire bead into place... probably got lucky, but I'm throwing it out there. :D

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Eric, that has worked for me in the past too. On a waverunner trailer tire but nonetheless, it worked! I am going to add a ratchet strap to my kit now haha

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Keep a can of brake cleaner and a lighter in the trunk ;) You can reseat the shit out of the tires haha :headbang:

Sponsored

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
Keep a can of brake cleaner and a lighter in the trunk ;) You can reseat the shit out of the tires haha :headbang:
Beat me to it... lol

redfire07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang
Great Idea. I pulled out my factory compressor not too long ago and the pump would not add any air to my tire. A second pump is a great idea.

OP
OP
'Merica

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Yeah the pump that came with my car is basically a fancy paper weight. This pump will also help next time I'm rafting in the mountains and don't want to blow my tube up by mouth. That didn't sound weird

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
How much is the kit with shipping? :) Great post that most folks probably don't think about. Glad I had a tire repair kit and compressor with me when we pulled our travel trailer. Plugged a trailer tire on by back, thought I about ripped a muscle out of my back, but got it done and kept going. I would recommend using that lube when you ream the hole in your tire. The plug goes in easier. Oh, and a plastic sleeved socket is about $15 from a Cornwell tool man/woman.

Last edited:

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I'd probably skip the torque wrench and just use a breaker bar. That torque wrench will probably lose its accuracy over time due to the vibrations and having to use it as a breaker bar to break your lugs loose.

For an emergency fix, getting the lugs "tight" with a breaker bar is more than adequate until you can properly torque them.

Just my two cents.
Sponsored