Sponsored

For those with Driver side window issues - possible fix

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
There's a few threads I have seen on here regarding the Driver's side window sticking upon opening or closing the door. I *think* the seal may be an issue for some vehicles. I would definitely take 10 mins of your time to read the below, it could benefit some folks.

I just noticed on my 16 S550 today that where the door window seal meets the edge of the headliner - nearly 80% of that edge of the seal was stuck UNDER the headliner edging! This is an improper install.

The seal is not supposed to be under the headliner edge, it's supposed to be OVER lapping the headliner edge to create a complete seal around the door frame, top of window and roof line.

I don't have pics, because it was a "quick fix" - but everyone should check their Driver side door seal. If the rubber is curled or tucked under the edge of the headliner:

1) Using your fingers OR a flat edge (like a Credit/Debit card etc), start at a section where the seal is properly seated over the edge of the headliner. Gradually work the card (or fingers) under the seal. Then move in the direction of the turned under section - this will safely pull the seal out from under the headliner and get it so that the edge of the seal now overlaps the headliner (instead of being stuck between the roof edge and headliner edge).

2) After performing step 1 above - standing outside of the vehicle, starting at one end of the seal, FIRMLY press the entire length of the seal back onto and against the body of the car. This will ensure that the seal is installed properly and is pressed properly onto the edge of the door frame. Check the seal again to make sure it remained over the edge of the headliner.

I would check the passenger side too - the passenger side on my vehicle was fine and properly installed.

Don't worry if the seal is not laying perfectly flat after the fix - during warm weather and from being corrected, the edge of the seal will flatten out.

I hope this helps some folks. Again it may not be a 100% fix for the sticking driver side window - but seeing that the seal was not properly installed to begin with (and most people don't even look "up" at it from the driver seat), at least it will be corrected from an OCD vantage point...

:)

:cheers:
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Reminds me of my RX-8's roof liner was cut just slight too short on one side causing the rubber to be not long enough to over the liner.

Chris R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford GT Premium
I will take a look at this, thanks for posting. If this actually does fix my problem, I'm wondering why Ford couldn't figure this out if they have received complaints.

theredmeadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2020 Mustang GT PP PP1
I have a little driver side window noise and I've noticed that the seal sits on top of the top part of the driver pilar where the tweeter is while the passenger is just fine. I'm not sure what I should be looking for when it comes to this post but it's got my attention.

Sponsored