Sponsored

UPR oil separator 1500 mile inspection/review

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
If you don't have a catch can, time to get one! I've had the UPR installed for about 1500 miles and decided to check how it did. Close to 2 oz of oil collected in those miles. The insides look pretty and functional too. Looks like you could get away with dumping every 4-5k due to the large reservoir. If you get a smaller separator you'll be dumping it a lot.
20160106_192151[1].jpg
20160106_192324[1].jpg
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
I have read about people putting two on the engine. Do you have (1) and what side of the motor is it installed?

Thanks

OP
OP
combustor

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
I have read about people putting two on the engine. Do you have (1) and what side of the motor is it installed?

Thanks
I do have the "dual" system. regular can goes on the passenger side (routed to PCV valve) and the "clean side separator" on the driver side, which is routed upstream of the throttle plate so it really only does anything at full throttle. It makes sense when you look at the motor. The CSS traps oil at full throttle and lets it drain back into the valve cover, so you'd rarely need to fool with it.

Reactions: TDC

drainey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt 350, magnetic with white strip
I do have the "dual" system. regular can goes on the passenger side (routed to PCV valve) and the "clean side separator" on the driver side, which is routed upstream of the throttle plate so it really only does anything at full throttle. It makes sense when you look at the motor. The CSS traps oil at full throttle and lets it drain back into the valve cover, so you'd rarely need to fool with it.

If you did it again what product would you buy?

I plan on adding when I get the car

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
I've got the UPR setup too. Fairly cheap insurance to keep your intake clean and of course Ford even recommends one, especially if you are tracking your car.

Sponsored

OP
OP
combustor

combustor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2016 GT350
If you did it again what product would you buy?

I plan on adding when I get the car
I drove the car 600 miles without oil separators installed and the breather tubes were coated in oil. 1500 miles after I installed the UPR separators the tubes downstream of the cans are bone dry. I'm a believer, the product works as advertised! Easy to empty but big enough you aren't doing it every couple of weeks.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Yep, purchased as well.

[MENTION=13019]UPRSteve[/MENTION] (or anyone else with it)
Any issues driving in very very cold temperatures? There's a 1-way valve in one of the lines, right? Could it ever freeze shut? Or anything else that could freeze and block the flow?
Or any issues with condensation filling up the can with some water?

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Yep, purchased as well.

[MENTION=13019]UPRSteve[/MENTION] (or anyone else with it)
Any issues driving in very very cold temperatures? There's a 1-way valve in one of the lines, right? Could it ever freeze shut? Or anything else that could freeze and block the flow?
Or any issues with condensation filling up the can with some water?

No one has run this thing in the winter??

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
750 S. Eastcoast St, Lake Worth Fl. 33460
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
UPR 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
No one has run this thing in the winter??
Just a quick heads up on winter and cold weather. You have not had any issues with the one-way valve freezing. I have seen the cans get pretty full and a few have frozen on trucks in close to zero degree weather. Some of the guys had put thermal socks on the catch cans to protect them from freezing in the extreme cold.

I can say out of all the system it has been about 1% of the ecoboost vehicles experienced this. Most importantly in colder weather it's a good idea to empty the system right as you get home when everything is hot and can drain properly. The V8 non-intercooled normally aspirated setups do not seem to have an issue. But, if it's cold enough condensation and wind become a factor to overchill the system till it heats up.

Other than that feel free to ask me PM me anytime.

Joe

Sponsored

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
Just a quick heads up on winter and cold weather. You have not had any issues with the one-way valve freezing. I have seen the cans get pretty full and a few have frozen on trucks in close to zero degree weather. Some of the guys had put thermal socks on the catch cans to protect them from freezing in the extreme cold.

I can say out of all the system it has been about 1% of the ecoboost vehicles experienced this. Most importantly in colder weather it's a good idea to empty the system right as you get home when everything is hot and can drain properly. The V8 non-intercooled normally aspirated setups do not seem to have an issue. But, if it's cold enough condensation and wind become a factor to overchill the system till it heats up.

Other than that feel free to ask me PM me anytime.

Joe
Sounds good, thanks! So it sounds like the only thing that could be a problem is if it's full and needs to be drained, just do it while it's warm from the engine still. Otherwise during normal day to day operations, it's fine in any temps?
UPS due to deliver it tomorrow, can't wait :D Damn mod bug...

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Sounds good, thanks! So it sounds like the only thing that could be a problem is if it's full and needs to be drained, just do it while it's warm from the engine still. Otherwise during normal day to day operations, it's fine in any temps?
UPS due to deliver it tomorrow, can't wait :D Damn mod bug...
You got it. Enjoy and hit me up with some install pics please.

Joe

84venom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 2016 GT350 TP DIB w/White Stripes
So, I'll be picking up my new Shelby and driving it 900 miles home. I'm considering getting the UPR separator and having it shipped right to the dealer so I can install it before heading home. Is it really necessary? or am I doing the engine harm by not having it on?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
So, I'll be picking up my new Shelby and driving it 900 miles home. I'm considering getting the UPR separator and having it shipped right to the dealer so I can install it before heading home. Is it really necessary? or am I doing the engine harm by not having it on?
Harm the engine by driving the car as the manufacturer has sold it? No.

UPRjoe

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.uprproducts.com
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
It will not do the vehicle harm by not installing it right away. What it will do is start to let the vapor - mist of oil from the PCV start to coat the Intake tract and Tb along with the rest of the engine. I generally install the UPR Catch Can on my vehicles after I get them home.

You'll be fine until you get the system installed. Also PM me for the system you need and I'll set you up.

Joe
Sponsored