Sponsored

Clutch helper spring.

ivanuke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F-150 Ecoboost, 2016 Mag Trk GT350 On order
I'm wondering if it is easy to remove the helper spring on the clutch pedal for the GT350? I find it very annoying that the clutch pedal snaps back quickly when I want to let out smoothly on the clutch, I'm not used to it and I don't like the feeling. Is it easy to remove whatever it is that causes the clutch pedal to do that?

*edit* Updated to include video for removal of the helper spring

[ame]
Sponsored

Last edited:

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
if its like the MT82, push clutch down, pull the spring out by hand.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
About 10 minutes upside down with a flash light and needle nose pliers did the job on the S197. I think the S550 pedal arrangement is identical?

Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I've heard this for a while can someone please explain the differences it makes keeping and pulling the spring?

RDM78

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG
No tools needed, push clutch in with left hand, use your right hand to pull the spring off, do not release clutch until the spring has come off.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I've heard this for a while can someone please explain the differences it makes keeping and pulling the spring?
The spring kicks in around half way through the pedal press to make it easier to engage and hold. The problem being it makes pedal effort non-linear and also has a tendency to stick the clutch when you pull your foot off very quickly. I also noticed a difference under track conditions when everything was very hot, it had a tendency to actually stick to the floor momentarily.

When you remove it, pedal effort is smooth and linear, if just a little bit stiffer in the lower half that before. Zero problems with sticking or anything else after that. But my experience is with an S197 and MT-82.

Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
The spring kicks in around half way through the pedal press to make it easier to engage and hold. The problem being it makes pedal effort non-linear and also has a tendency to stick the clutch when you pull your foot off very quickly. I also noticed a difference under track conditions when everything was very hot, it had a tendency to actually stick to the floor momentarily.

When you remove it, pedal effort is smooth and linear, if just a little bit stiffer in the lower half that before. Zero problems with sticking or anything else after that. But my experience is with an S197 and MT-82.
That helps a lot thank you!

Derek@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 300A w/ Brembo's
My understanding is anyone who actually likes feedback in their car, finer control, or has driven manuals for many years, will hate the spring assist.
Absolutely HATE the spring. The above statement is very accurate.

bretlasalle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350R
Pardon the ignorant question, just want to make sure...

Is there anything wrong with removing the spring immediately when the car only has factory miles on it? I plan to remove it when I pick the car up (12/27-12/29!) before I drive it for the first time. I drove the 2015GT when I ordered the Shelby and absolutely hated the clutch, almost made me rethink my order and just be happy that I have a Boss 302.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
should be no issue. In the remove clutch spring thread the biggest regret is that they didnt do it sooner. I removed it from my 15GT the 2nd day