Rubber Mallet

Difficulty Level:
2 out of 12 Beers

Parts List:
(2) Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
(4) Washers
(2) Energy Suspension Grease

Preparation:
Use Steeda Jacking Rails to raise the rear end of the car and place it on jackstands. Remove rear wheels.

Video:

[ame]

Installation:

With the rear on jackstands, pull out the Steeda Vertical Links and inspect your parts.

To insure that the lower control arm doesn't move when removing the OEM vertical link, place a jack under the rear knuckle where the toe link is mounted. Just enough to support the weight.

Remove the 18mm bolt from the bottom of the OEM vertical link.

Remove the 15mm bolt from the top of the vertical link and be sure to grab the retaining nut off the back of this bolt.

Moderate use of man muscle will be needed to wrestle the OEM vertical link from the grasp of the Lower Control Arm. A screw driver will also help as pry tool.

Obligatory pic of our flimsy lady link next to the man link that is the Steeda Billet Aluminum Vertical Link.

Sure these will get your ass down to the store to pick up some milk, but if you have higher demands for your car, than this upgrade is a must.

Now you wanna rip open one of the packs of Energy Suspension Grease and cream pie those bushings!!
Be sure to apply the grease on the inside and outside of the washers guys.

The vertical link will take a bit of persuasion to get into alignment with the bottom hole. This is when the 2nd beer comes in, and where the rubber mallet comes in handy.

Gently massage the vertical link into place, and be sure that you fully seat the upper bushing into the recess before torquing the 15 bolt to 76 ft/lbs and the 18mm bolt to 129 ft/lbs.

Repeat the process for the other side and installation is complete!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Good work :)

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
If you drop the lower control arm you can get the bottom part in easier, then you just jack it up and it will pop into the top slot.

Sponsored

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
So a helpful hint I just figured out for taking the OEM links out. I used a rubber mallet and hammered downwards. Be careful not to cause the link to hit your rotor and it just comes right out!

OP
OP
Project Whitemare

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Just finished the install video:

[ame]

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Nice job, Nick!!

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Nice vid and write up Nick. @Project Whitemare Getting mine done today. Oh ya gettin it done. :thumbsup:

Sponsored

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I'm surprised no one else has asked the obligatory "have you noticed any difference" question, so here it is. There seems to be some debate on the importance of changing the vertical links. I mean, sure, the Steeda ones are far superior, but how much of an actual difference can you feel when driving? Also, do you already have other IRS subframe support to combat wheel hop, such as the bushing spacers, alignment sleeves, and differential bushings? Just trying to figure out where in the pecking order these links fall into when upgrading the rear since I'm just starting down that path.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
I'm surprised no one else has asked the obligatory "have you noticed any difference" question, so here it is. There seems to be some debate on the importance of changing the vertical links. I mean, sure, the Steeda ones are far superior, but how much of an actual difference can you feel when driving? Also, do you already have other IRS subframe support to combat wheel hop, such as the bushing spacers, alignment sleeves, and differential bushings? Just trying to figure out where in the pecking order these links fall into when upgrading the rear since I'm just starting down that path.

Hey bud, as some others have mentioned we'd recommend our other IRS components first and install these as one of the last few mods. They certainly perform better than the factory links, especially when launching the car, although you'd notice more of an immediate difference in wheel hop reduction if you installed the subframe support braces and bushing support system (with alignment kit) first.

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Hey bud, as some others have mentioned we'd recommend our other IRS components first and install these as one of the last few mods. They certainly perform better than the factory links, especially when launching the car, although you'd notice more of an immediate difference in wheel hop reduction if you installed the subframe support braces and bushing support system (with alignment kit) first.
I put the vertical links and toe links on last. Great advice from David and that's what I would follow first if doing in increments. I went with the whole package. The stock vertical links are pretty weak compared to the Steeda billet ones. :thumbsup:

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
That's the plan, and thanks for the input from both of you guys. I already have the Steeda bushing spacers and alignment kit installed and will probably do differential bushings next.