How To Time 2015 5.0

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange Mustang GT
A couple people have been asking me about how to time the 2015 5.0's so I'll take the time to put this out there for everyone. The 2015 5.0's timing procedure is different from the 11-14's so here is how to disassemble the primary timing components & install the primary timing components.

Dissasmbly

1. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.

2. Verify the timing mark on the RH VCT unit is on top (See Picture Below), if not rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution so the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.

timng 1.jpg

3. Remove the bolts and the RH primary timing chain tensioner.

4. Remove the RH timing chain tensioner arm & then remove the bolt and the RH timing Chain Guide, and the RH timing chain can now come off.

5. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 5'oclock position.

6. Remove the bolts and the LH primary timing chain tensioner.

7. Remove the LH timing chain tensioner arm & then remove the bolt and the LH timing chain guide, and the LH timing chain can now come off.

Assembly

1. Insure the keyway is at the 5'o clock position, if not Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 5 o'clock position.

2. Install the LH timing chain. Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the LH VCT assembly. Align the remaing colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket. (See Picture Below)
timing 2.jpg

3. Install the LH timing chain guild and bolt (Torque: 89 lb.in) & Install the LH timing chain tensioner arm.

4. Compress the LH primary timing chain tensioner plunger, using an edge of a vise & install a pin into the hole of the tensioner housing to hold the plunger in place.

5. Install the LH primary chain tensioner and bolts. (Torque: 89lb.in) & Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.

6. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise one complete revolution.

7. Rotate the Crankshaft clockwise until the keyway is at the 12 o'clock position.

Install the RH timing chain. Align the colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the RH VCT assembly. Align the remaing colored link on the timing chain with the timing mark on the crankshaft sprocket. (See Picture Below)
timing 3.jpg

Install the RH timing chain guild and bolt (Torque: 89 lb.in) & Install the RH timing chain tensioner arm.

Compress the RH primary timing chain tensioner plunger, using an edge of a vise & install a pin into the hole of the tensioner housing to hold the plunger in place.

Install the RH primary chain tensioner and bolts. (Torque: 89lb.in) & Remove the holding pin from the tensioner.

And Your Timed :thumbsup:
Sponsored

Last edited:

gsxr1300

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thats what the estimated hours this should take?

OP
OP
Dat Boi Kumar

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Thats what the estimated hours this should take?
It took me roughly 16 hours when i did my OPG and my timing gear but i took my time

OP
OP
Dat Boi Kumar

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
When you are re assembling the LH side at the 5 oclock position and get it all finished cant you just rotate counter clockwise back to the 12 oclock spot for the RH side instead of going clockwise all the way around again?

OP
OP
Dat Boi Kumar

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
When you are re assembling the LH side at the 5 oclock position and get it all finished cant you just rotate counter clockwise back to the 12 oclock spot for the RH side instead of going clockwise all the way around again?
No your timing will be off then

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
How would it be off if thats where it was when you took it off? Just wondering. Doin all my homework before i start mine.

OP
OP
Dat Boi Kumar

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
On disassembly your lh timing chain marks dont line up to the cam. What your saying may possibly work if you make your own marks. Im no engine builder though. This is the ford procedure, and worked perfect for me.

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Gotcha. Was just curious.

Sponsored

Ingot2015

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt
Where did u get those diagrams from?

OP
OP
Dat Boi Kumar

Dat Boi Kumar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)

arieso94z28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does this have to happen on #1 cylinder on compression stroke? How will I know that I won't be 180* off with the crankshaft?

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
If you follow the procedure it puts you where you need to be. Just follow it word for word and it will be fine.