Base GT350 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
I have only had my car 2 days but I am trying to give some fair reviews as well as shed some light on what the base actually comes with for equipment.

I actually have to say with paying $1000 over this car is an absolute bargain! I do not think there is ANY car out there with more bang for the buck. It has been drizzling and raining for the 2 days I have driven it putting on almost 200 miles. This car is an animal! I want to also let everyone know that the base car comes with magnetic shocks! Side by side against a tech pack. Same shocks, wiring hookups, color, spring layout, app control, etc. Also the base has the 2 gauge pack between the AC vents and has Recaros.

I am a big gut at 6'1" about 300lbs.

Build Quality is 9.75 out of 10. I think it is very well put together with all gaps and pieces consistent and tight. Don't think much in European cars are that much better.
Seats: Great Material and Quality. Very supportive however tight on the butt. Nice seats but tight.
Engine: Outstanding! Smooth and Linear. Nice pull at any rpm.
Trans: I guess good. Clutch is like a double action with light pressure. Shifts a bit notch. Not really smooth but solid.
Brakes: Awesome. Will stop a truck!
Handling: Great especially when in Sport mode. Suspension handles Chicagoland road work with ease. More resilient. In Normal mode it seems shocks do not have enough initial preload. Too soft or fast.
Everything is very very nice on the gt350. Even in the rain a solid performer.

I let my brother in law who is a Porsche turbo owner and he loved driving my gt350. He thought it was nicer than his Porsche and rode and handled better and definitely motor sounded awesome. He is now thinking about a white w blue stripes. I think this car is that good.

I hope this helps everyone out with some initial questions. Thanks
20151213_132131_001_resized_1.jpg
20151213_132149_resized_1.jpg
20151213_132221_001_resized_1.jpg
20151213_143831_resized_1.jpg
IMG_0280.JPG
Sponsored

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
The only thing about your review that I think is false is that it has the same magnetic shocks. Please elaborate.

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Oh man, you are one lucky SOB if fords quality control messed up again and gave you magnetic suspension!!!!! Congrats but I'm hating!

Can any other Base owners confirm if there is different suspension settings??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
There don't appear to be any suspension controls on your steering wheel. I'm not saying you're wrong about the shocks, but I'd like to see some more details in pictures to confirm it. That's contrary to everything I've read, including posts from other base GT350 owners.

You still have drive modes, all the Mustangs do, but they don't change anything in the suspension on non-Magneride cars. They change throttle response, traction and stability control settings, and steering feel.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
why didnt you put the splitter on?

Sponsored

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
If the 350 has the same clutch pedal assembly as the GT, take out the god awful assist spring and enjoy a linear clutch.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
If the 350 has the same clutch pedal assembly as the GT, take out the god awful assist spring and enjoy a linear clutch.

I did this almost immediately on my 2013 GT. Less than ten minutes of work for an excellent increase in clutch feedback. Even without the assist spring, the pedal effort was still very light in my opinion, but I could actually feel a bite point.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
GT350 has a totally different clutch (dual disk rather than single is one significant difference).

With that said, your advice may still apply.

-T

OP
OP
crazyfish

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will post pics later of steering wheel with Suspension Controls active. Yes it does have the magnetic shocks. That is what I was hoping for. A friend of mine works up at Roush and told me about 4 months ago that he never saw any other suspension system other than the magnetic controls. I figured even if it had coil overs it still should be nice. I just took the chance because I still own my '14 Track Car and swinging extra $6-8k would of really pushed my family over the limit(wife and why I need another toy).

I thought the Base car would have had no gauges between the AC vents. No magnetic shocks. No spoiler at all. Recaros with ballistic nylon, etc. Well the base is as high end as the tech and track and that is what I hoped for. I figured it would cost ford the same amount to outsource a simple coilover system vs. a mass produced magnetic shock setup. 200 pcs vs. 5000? Economics.

I travel for my job but I took a pic I think with suspension on. If I have it I will post tonight. If not I will post in a few days when I get back.

Also the 2 real cons for me on this car are. 1) Stereo is lackluster. I will look into putting in some updated speakers, amp, etc.

2) Seats are a bit tight. Bottom flanks on Recaros point up instead of up and out. Would like to find a way to change that. Back is fine.

Also clutch is like a double action. Stiff initially then soft. My '14 is firm start to finish. Doesn't matter nice feel.

Will keep you posted.

Sponsored
OP
OP
crazyfish

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also didn't put splitter on because weather was questionable on delivery and worried about Chicagoland pot holes and bad roads and how stock suspension would react to this. Again thought I would get coil overs but hoped for magnetic. Car rides and handles great. Ride in Sport mode is much better than Normal mode especially around rough roads. It reacts better. Seems to increase valving rebound to slow suspension down. You can definitely feel the difference on same road in both modes. More compliant less bounce. Splitter is in trunk until spring. Hopefully I have a couple more days to drive it before winter.

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Thanks for the info. There's not much out there about the base model.

mcgraw

Semper Fi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Sounds like the accidentally tossed a track package into this thing (minus spoiler)! Total score if you got that sucker < 50k! Nice man. Thanks for the pics!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Very nice! I work in Bolingbrook. Hope to see your car around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
If this is true I want at least a $5k refund for the track pack. :paddle:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.