Sponsored

Anyone good with car electrics?

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Take a gander at my post over in the infotainment & electronics section.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38553

Thinkware F750 2ch is puzzling me
I'm aiming to have a go at my 750 installation this week. Will post the results of my success or tragic failure on here as soon as.

I think you can pull the light fitting out and tap into electrics here. However, I'm going to tap into the fuse box which appears to be by the drivers right leg. I'm more comfortable doing this and I've decided I'm OK with the electrical part now. The main thing that scares me though is having to pull all the trim away. In my experience, trim held together with plastic clips and other cheapo fixings doesn't always go back as it was.

If you're in the midlands area, you might be able to hear all the DIY related 'effing and jeffing' from where you live!!!

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Trim is very easy, you barely have to do anything. The cables just tuck in neatly.

Don't do what I did though and mount the rear camera upside down :) it isn't obvious which way round it goes. Download the app and use the live view before sticking it

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Trim is very easy, you barely have to do anything. The cables just tuck in neatly.

Don't do what I did though and mount the rear camera upside down :) it isn't obvious which way round it goes. Download the app and use the live view before sticking it
Cheers - good tip on the rear camera

Which fuses did you use?

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Cheers - good tip on the rear camera

Which fuses did you use?

Used 2 for yellow & 23 for red. Ground I attached under the nut that's just above the accelerator pedal. Not sure what issues would present themselves if the ground was wrong. Other option for ground is look to the right of the fuse box & theres 2 cables bolted to the body. Bitch to get to though.

If you don't mind, wire it up the same as me & see if you get the same issues with parking mode. You will need to turn parking mode & motion detection on via the app when connected to the cam.

Sponsored

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
I'd be VERY wary of messing about with a Mustang's electronics unless you know exactly what you're doing.

If it's anything like an S197 (and it's actually likely to be even more complex) the car uses CAN-BUS controlled with an SJB (Smart Junction Box). This provides power to components when needed and monitors everything.

Poor light conversions on S197s resulted in many, expensive SJB problems/replacements.

If you want to add additional kit, by far the safest way is to run fused links directly to/from the battery. Leave everything else well alone IMHO.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
^^ Wot e said ^^

Far too many S197s suffered SJB failures due to poorly installed lighting conversions :(

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I'd be VERY wary of messing about with a Mustang's electronics unless you know exactly what you're doing.

If it's anything like an S197 (and it's actually likely to be even more complex) the car uses CAN-BUS controlled with an SJB (Smart Junction Box). This provides power to components when needed and monitors everything.

Poor light conversions on S197s resulted in many, expensive SJB problems/replacements.

If you want to add additional kit, by far the safest way is to run fused links directly to/from the battery. Leave everything else well alone IMHO.

Nah it's nothing like that, proper hardwire kit, just has 3 cables - acc, continuous & ground. Just wrap wire round the fuse prong and push it back it. I did actually buy mm2 fuse taps but they still don't fit so just wrapped the wire on the fuse instead.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Used 2 for yellow & 23 for red. Ground I attached under the nut that's just above the accelerator pedal. Not sure what issues would present themselves if the ground was wrong. Other option for ground is look to the right of the fuse box & theres 2 cables bolted to the body. Bitch to get to though.

If you don't mind, wire it up the same as me & see if you get the same issues with parking mode. You will need to turn parking mode & motion detection on via the app when connected to the cam.
I was thinking of using a different fuse for the yellow as I recall "2" is labelled as 'folding mirrors' or something (slightly different than the US version). As the folding mirrors only have power when the car is 'on', I was thinking of using a different one such as the seats or something.

Ian whu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Think I might get one of these, twice this morning I nearly got wiped out, idiots not indicating and just pulling out in front of me

Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Think I might get one of these, twice this morning I nearly got wiped out, idiots not indicating and just pulling out in front of me
That's the british signal of:
"I know your car will wipe the floor out with mine, but ill get in front to look faster"
or
"Im a dbag who can't drive"

(More likely the later)

stiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 V8 Manual Fastback, DIB
Nah it's nothing like that, proper hardwire kit, just has 3 cables - acc, continuous & ground. Just wrap wire round the fuse prong and push it back it. I did actually buy mm2 fuse taps but they still don't fit so just wrapped the wire on the fuse instead.
Sorry to say, but taking a feed by wrapping wire around a fuse leg sounds like the mother of all bodges! :eyebulge:At the very least - I hope you checked which side of the fuse you're connected to with a test light, battery side (so no fuse protection) or accessory side (fuse protected).

Trust me - the SJB doesn't respond well to additional load on the outputs and what you've just done sounds exactly like that?

Bon chance! :)

PS. From your other thread 'Next is when i start the car it turns on and starts recording as expected, if i stop & restart the engine within say 15 minutes the camera doesn't turn back on and i have to do it manually. If i leave it for an hour or so it will automatically turn back on when the car is started.' - this may be because the SJB doesn't send a feed to any component until it needs it. It's very different from 'traditional' car wiring. The SJB detects load and then applies power. If no load is detected, no power is sent. This could explain why you're having the camera standby issues.

Trust me. Unless you know what you're doing you could end up with a VERY expensive bill.

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I was thinking of using a different fuse for the yellow as I recall "2" is labelled as 'folding mirrors' or something (slightly different than the US version). As the folding mirrors only have power when the car is 'on', I was thinking of using a different one such as the seats or something.
Yeah 2 is labelled Mirror Memory module, thats what i wasn't sure about because i dont think our mirrors have memory setting. They're folding and electronically adjustable but no memory. I figured if the fuse was there then it must be used? lots of blank holes without fuses.

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Sorry to say, but taking a feed by wrapping wire around a fuse leg sounds like the mother of all bodges! :eyebulge:At the very least - I hope you checked which side of the fuse you're connected to with a test light, battery side (so no fuse protection) or accessory side (fuse protected).

Trust me - the SJB doesn't respond well to additional load on the outputs and what you've just done sounds exactly like that?

Bon chance! :)

PS. From your other thread 'Next is when i start the car it turns on and starts recording as expected, if i stop & restart the engine within say 15 minutes the camera doesn't turn back on and i have to do it manually. If i leave it for an hour or so it will automatically turn back on when the car is started.' - this may be because the SJB doesn't send a feed to any component until it needs it. It's very different from 'traditional' car wiring. The SJB detects load and then applies power. If no load is detected, no power is sent. This could explain why you're having the camera standby issues.

Trust me. Unless you know what you're doing you could end up with a VERY expensive bill.
Its not a bodge, its the way the dashcams are installed. Look it up, either get a fuse tap or just go direct onto the fuse leg. Fuses in the Mustang are MM2 type, i bought the appropriate fuse tap but the dont quite fit into the fuse slot hence dropping back to using the fuse direct.
If you look over in the various dash cam threads in the american section thats how they're all fitted, apart from some people who are using the back of the rear view mirror and buying a usb tap.

I didn't realise there was a battery side and fuse side to the fuse though, how do i tell and which side should i be going on? Non of the other install guides have mentioned that.

OP
OP

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Actually I've just had a thought, unless the car is in accessory mode the mirrors don't fold & that's the fuse it's on. Bet that's it, yellow goes to fuse 2 which is continuous power on the USA car, obviously isn't on ours since the mirrors won't fold unless ignition is in acc
Sponsored