Sponsored

RLCA Bearing Upgrade: An In-Depth Look at the most overlooked piece of the puzzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
As soon as we got our hands on the S550 Platform in mid-2014, we went hard at work in finding the weak points of Fords new integral link IRS system.

One of the most important parts to upgrade, is one that seems to be the most overlooked. I will assume that it is because of two reasons:

1: People associate this upgrade with increased NVH
2: Difficulty of installation

As far as NVH is concerned, there really isn't much increase at all. I would say that the average gearhead would not even notice it.

In terms of difficulty to install. It's not too bad. We are working on a solution (bushing R&R tool) but honestly, I press is the best way. Never doing the install before, once I got the RLCA off the car it took about 10 minutes to R&R these pieces.

As for performance, the difference is substantial. When the OEM Rubber Front bushing deflects under load, the wheel assembly is moving forward enough to cause erratic geometry and alignment changes, which leads to instability and less driver confidence.

In drag racing / straight line accel - these pieces are comparable to upgrading the Rear Lower Control Arms / Trailing Arms on a Solid Axle Platform (like every Mustang made PRE 2015)

On my personal car that I drag race, I tested one part at a time. In depth testing, not just seat of the pants. This BK055 RLCA Bearing upgrade made one of the biggest differences....and I could NOT get my wheel hop lines to settle down before the upgrade, no matter what I did with the rest of the suspension.

For example (erratic line represents wheel hop)
Example of how the RLCA Bearing Improves that Tire Shake/Hop

Now, let's take a look back at the video we released back in February of this year. Notice the amount deflection in that RLCA Front Mounting area before and after the upgrade.

[ame]

When I swapped out my OEM Rubber for our BK055 Kit, I ensured to snap a comparison picture. As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words. In this case, a thousand less tire oscillations.

Here is our production piece installed on my car. You better believe that I yanked the first ones we made off the assembly floor and put them in my car immediately. :headbang:

Now let's take a look at the components when they are not assembled or installed.

What you will see in the pic above, are the highest quality components you can ask for, at a realistic price point.

We are among the only (and likely the first) to utilize FK Bearing's MASSIVE 1" Teflon Lined Bearings for our Mustang Suspension offerings. We use these in other S197 Applications with EXCELLENT success. These FK Bearings are made right here in the US, and perform very well. We choose a 1" bearing based on their strength characteristics, as well as their proven durability.

For the bearing spacers/inserts - we use 7075 Billet Machined Aluminum pieces, and we anodize them with a beautiful black finish for a long life of corrosion resistance. We chose 7075 simply because of it's strength and it's quality. It may cost us a little more to make, but it is such an excellent material for this application. These spacers also feature our "more surface" technology. Notice the large outer flanges, those help keep the part mated to the outer mounting points without deflection and help provide a more stable system by removing load on the mounting hardware. A properly designed suspension mounting point is a design that features a fastening system with a lot of clamping force, and a pivot mount with a high surface area.

Holding the assembly is our very own Billet Steel bearing cups. These pieces feature engineering that simply cannot be seen by the pics (the pictures do them no justice) After these pieces are pulled from the CNC machine, they are treated / decontaminated then we apply a hard black zinc coating to them for maximized corrosion resistance and good looks. Hiding the design features is the coating mentioned above - we bevel and contour the OD of this cup for an easier installation. Of course, we do not rely solely on the press fit to keep these in place, we machine a large lip into the bearing cup, which seats our XHD Snap Rings.

I wanted to share this information because I feel that this upgrade is overlooked by most. I get many calls and messages each day, and rarely do people mention this component. I find myself recommending them to people who had no clue we offered them, and them providing feedback along the lines of "I cannot believe these make such a difference, and I did not even know they were available"

:cheers:

********POST UPDATE FOR THOSE WHO WOULD RATHER HAVE A PLUG AND PLAY SOLUTION! SEE BELOW********

There is a company who we work with (C&D Autotech), that charges $590 for a set of S550 RLCAs that come to you ready to install WITH our BK055 Kit installation already performed. Once you remove your stock units, you can then send them to C&D for a $270 refund.

Here is their FB Page:

https://www.facebook.com/cdautotech/

Here is a very nice write up that Chuck made on the R&R of the S550 RLCA

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Etqwna_ACqjlXTERkW4nMrJm2lbJ8plDO6iQ1viLjwQ/edit

Chuck can be reached by phone, FB or Email.

[email protected]
302-419-8417
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Still waiting for mine to ship ;) I've been a believer since you told me about them and the FFRP Toe Link Bearings which I installed already.

Thanks for all the great work you do for this community Kelly!

Quiksilver15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
Question about using bearings Kelly, Do we have to worry about road grime and dirt getting into the bearing. Do these type of bearings wear out quickly, or ever? Thanks

rio16

MAD_50HH
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rio
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Whippled Competition Orange
Next mod.. thanks again Kelly

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
NVH question Kelly. If you are on the BK048 Delrin cradle bushings are your NVH observations still applicable?

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Is this the same bearing/knuckle that the FRPP handling kit upgrades/changes out?

If so yours will obviously be better I suspect as such how much is this part Kelly?

zuki_dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium M6 TY
Is this the same bearing/knuckle that the FRPP handling kit upgrades/changes out?

If so yours will obviously be better I suspect as such how much is this part Kelly?
This is the front lower control arm bushing replacement. The ford racing part replaces the rubber bushing in the knuckle that the toe rod attaches to.

I will be upgrading both in the future.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Subbd I feel this is the correct way instead of adding heavy bracing to help the wheel hop. Are these for sale already? Come in a kit to replace the cradle bushings as well?

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
Hi Kelly and BMR team...

Since you all KILLED it with the Cradle Lockout and in my post pointed me to this product (thanks Kelly, LOL) I think this is a great idea!

A few questions:

1. Is there a simple DIY way of getting OEM bearing out and getting new one in

Regarding order and other items to reduce the bounce, not drag or track day, just a fun fast DD, should I:

1. Do RLCA Bushing, alone
2. Do RLCA Busing and Vertical Links with Spherical balls (Im ok with some more NVH, more important reduce bounce)
3. Do RLCA Busing and Vertical Links, and some sort of diff bushing (I'm sorry to say this but in looking at stuff the Steeda looks "easier" to install not sure results and which other way to go. Not a fan of dropping the whole cradle...I'm and old man!

Please let me know if you can what else I can do BMR team...Thanks in advance, and THANK YOU again for the Cradle Lockout system, I'm still giddy how well that worked!

Nazgul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 15 GT PP
Considering you need a press to get them in, I doubt it'll be an "easy" diy. I suppose you could use a vice to slowly press them in after hammering them out. Without a good press it might be a pain.

Sponsored

Quiksilver15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
3. Do RLCA Busing and Vertical Links, and some sort of diff bushing (I'm sorry to say this but in looking at stuff the Steeda looks "easier" to install not sure results and which other way to go. Not a fan of dropping the whole cradle...I'm and old man!
I noticed the same thing, I wonder how effective Steeda's are with those pucks though.

Question about using bearings Kelly, Do we have to worry about road grime and dirt getting into the bearing. Do these type of bearings wear out quickly, or ever? Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
BMR Tech

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
Bumping to remind people of one of the most beneficial upgrades you can perform to the S550 Rear IRS System!

GTPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What is the longevity like with this product? I have heard that road gunk tends to get into spherical bearings and cause squeaks/rattles etc over time

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Here's to hoping Santa magically replaced my LCA bushings with bearings :D :lol:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.