Sponsored

AEROSPACE COMPONENTS Rear Drag Brakes!!!

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
First off I have to THANK AEROSPACE COMPONENTS for an INCREDIBLE piece of art rear brake kit. And finally being able to run 15" wheels!!!! And save 36 lbs.!!!! Just with the rear brakes, not counting the wheels!

Okay there's a lot to cover here.
1. These are Drag Racing brakes. AEROSPACE COMPONENTS has other brake kits to fit your needs, if these are not your style.
2. I have not installed the front brakes, I will do that when I install the WATSON K-member.
3. We are in the early stages. Things like fittings are still not available. And I will not tell you what I did to make it work, BUT if anybody out there works for a fitting manufacture, like Parker, the fitting we need already exists, it just needs a different thread. We need an IF Female 10mmX1.5 to a -03AN Male. I have pics of the same thing, just with 1.25 thread. AEROSPACE says they have one in the works, but if you or a relative works at Parker, lets see if we can get this fitting bubbled up to the front of the line!

Okay these are a work of art. I will get to run them this weekend weather permitting, but they have past the street test and some higher speed test in Mexico. In the pics that follow I tried to explain what is going on. There is some minor material removal needed, but hey this is Drag Racing and to be able to run 15" rims I'm willing to grind what I need. As you go through the pics do NOT misread that some of the very small things that need to be done is any wrong doing on the design of the brake kit, Ford didn't leave anyone much to work with when comes to fitting brakes small enough to fit 15" wheels. I'm pointing out areas to pay close attention to and how to address it.
Wheels, I wasn't able to get the bs (back spacing) I wanted on short notice. 15x8.3x5.5bs would've kept the rim under the car. A 15x9.3x6.5bs SHOULD fit with no issues using a medium pad height. I'm simulating 3.31 gears with the short 26" tall tires, this way I can try two different gears in one visit and in the end I'll go with 28" once I know which gear I will go with. I told you guys I'll be changing gears like most people change oil lol.
On another note I have an O.E.(Operating Experience) to share. I was going to put in my aluminum ds, but decided to stick with the brake change for now. In the process of re-installing my stock ds, I noticed a clunk after completely tightened all fasteners. Long story short that last time I changed my gears I didn't preload the pinion bearing enough and there was slop. None to worry, I broke out my homemade pinion holder, modified it a little so it would fit under the car, the pinion nut needed about 1/3rd more turn. All's good now. So the O.E. here is pay attention to all your components and do the wiggle test on stuff now & then. It was a lot easier to tighten the nut now than to have a gear failure to deal with later. The last pic shows the issue with the barrel of the rim, even though it looks straight, it actually has a slight taper before the radius. Only the outer edge of the caliper was an issue. If the barrel of the rim stayed straight till the radius, we'd be golden.

Keep in mind I do NOT work for nor am I sponsored by AEROSPACE COMPONENTS. None of what I've shown here or said is coming from AEROSPACE COMPONENTS, so do not call AEROSPACE COMPONENTS and blame them for my stupidity. I'm just sharing my experience, that I hope you perceive as POSITIVE, because that is my intention. If you do not see this post as POSITIVE, I have failed you. Plus brakes just slow you down lol! :headbang:
Brakes 1.jpg
Complete 1.jpg
Complete 2.jpg
Brake weight 1.jpg
Brake weight 2.jpg
Brake weight 3.jpg
Brake mount 1.jpg
Slide2.JPG
Slide3.JPG
Slide4.JPG
Slide5.JPG
Slide6.JPG
Slide7.JPG
Slide8.JPG
Slide9.JPG
Wheel clearance 6.jpg
Wheel clearance 7.jpg
Welds 15 x 8 4.5 bs 2.jpg
Weld rear part number.jpg
3AN to M10x1.25 example.jpg
Pinion tool 1.jpg
Pinion tool 2.jpg
MG6.jpg
Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
"And save 36 lbs.!!!!"

I can totally understand this when it was 1995 and the B16a 1.6 liter Honda DOHC engine with 160 hp and 111 torque. Weight really mattered. But I am amazed at how crazy people are about weight in a 5.0 liter 400+ torque engine... I'm just not as concerned with weight no this car as I was in any other car that I owned. taking off 36 pounds just isn't all that much.

Stang Racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 301A
Good to see you staring to put your stang on a diet! With your ET 11.23 @ 3,830 lbs. N/A.. It all adds up to lower weight = lower ET! I noticed in Fords 99 challenge and America Muscle`s N/A cars They both had the seats out front and back with 1 race seat and never show the weight, hard to tell what else is missing?? Good luck on your diet over the winter:thumbsup:

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hell yeah... waiting for the kit bugs and install to be worked out! I have a couple of 15x10 7.25BS Racestars I would hope will fit.... hope... anyway.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
"And save 36 lbs.!!!!"

I can totally understand this when it was 1995 and the B16a 1.6 liter Honda DOHC engine with 160 hp and 111 torque. Weight really mattered. But I am amazed at how crazy people are about weight in a 5.0 liter 400+ torque engine... I'm just not as concerned with weight no this car as I was in any other car that I owned. taking off 36 pounds just isn't all that much.
It is because RB is on a different level than many of us. The guy is truly a Mustang pioneer and fountain of knowledge.

Your name is Starman... Perhaps RB is a Trekkie often going "where no one has gone before".

Sponsored

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
"And save 36 lbs.!!!!"

I can understand and appreciate your position, but I come from 2,700 lb. 600-800 HP Fox Body days. So a car that's 1,000 lbs. heavier rides heavy on my mind and being N/A, weight is one area to focus on. I agree these cars are powerful and nice riding and the FI crowd is less interested in weight reduction. Remember this, weight reduction is a performance gain that never wears out, never has to be replaced or updated. We all have different desires with our S550s and that's good bc a diverse crowd will keep the car in production. Remember there's no sensible reason for this car to be produced. It's only purpose is self gratification lol.
Oh and being able to run 15" rims gives more sidewall to work with for traction and less weight again in the rim. :headbang:

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
Personally I LOVE the way 15's look on cars. If I keep my 2015 I'll probably do this to get a nice setup on the car. However I'm not brand loyal and will be watching the new Camaro closely to possibly make the switch.

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Nice work! I like the way the drag wheels look on a car. I admire guys that do fab work like this. I dont have the cut grind gene in me. Lol!

On the rear wheels it looks like the poke has already laid waste to the paint behind the wheel, or is that just dust? Do you ever put blue tap in that area at the drag strip?

Is that a receiver hitch I see in the photo?

OP
OP
RBS550

RBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
RB
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Nice work! I like the way the drag wheels look on a car. I admire guys that do fab work like this. I dont have the cut grind gene in me. Lol!

On the rear wheels it looks like the poke has already laid waste to the paint behind the wheel, or is that just dust? Do you ever put blue tap in that area at the drag strip?

Is that a receiver hitch I see in the photo?
Mostly dust & dirt, I'm sure there's a few chips & scratches. Blue tape would definitely help protect that area.
Yes that's a hitch, I pull a trailer with me.
Loaded for BB 5.jpg

Sponsored

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
It wasn't and still isn't that long ago that it took a POWERADDER and thousands of dollars on a Mustang to hit 10's which was thought to be an internet sensation. RB is almost in the 10's with an NA stock motored car!!!!:eyebulge:

Props RB and I always enjoy your threads.:cheers:

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
The kit is almost a bolt on. I just did it over the weekend. A little grinding for some clearance is needed and of course the brake hoses. It is as close to bolt on as it gets. I've done at least 6 other brake kits on other cars of mine and requires less work than most.
Sponsored