Sponsored

Announcing the VTT EBM Stage 1 Turbo Upgrade

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
Hello everyone! We would like to introduce ourselves, and tell you a little about our Mustang Ecoboost turbocharger program we have upcoming!

First of all we have been following the forum for quite some time, lurking in the background, have learned quite a bit about the community, and you guys seem like a great group!

We are a Northern California based turbocharger company that has been in business for almost 40 years. The company was started by my father, and is now run by me, along with a great group of people we have working with us. We take pride in our work, and have put quite a bit of time, and effort into our EBM turbo program. Today we are only announcing our Stage 1 upgrade. We have more in store for the very near future...

We are extremely active in the BMW community, and our BMW stock frame turbo upgrades hold just about every WHP record, as well as a lot of very fast time slips. The EBM seemed like a great fit for us, which is why we got involved.

We have teamed up exclusively with Adam from Tune+, and every VTT EBM upgrade comes with a tune from Adam! We have spent the better part of a month working directly with Adam tweaking the tune, and getting it perfect.

Now a little bit about the turbo! What the stage 1 upgrade does is offer increased performance in the top end where the stock turbo is extremely lacking, while retaining stock spool, and drivability characteristics. You will see in the dyno graphs, we were able to achieve close to 50WHP more at redline compared to the stock turbo, all while running much less WGDC to do so. This means you do not have to work the turbo as hard, and the car will continue to pull even when the stock turbo is plain out of breath!

We start with a factory EBM turbocharger, and get rid of the bottlenecks built into it, including the factory compressor wheel, factory wastegate actuator, and we also perform an extensive machining process on the turbine housings to free up flow, and help eliminate back pressure. This back pressure is the enemy of any turbo, and one of the hardest things to eliminate while retaining stock spool. The more air you can flow, while cutting down on back pressure, means the more power you can make, and hold to redline! Once we do all that we add our custom design billet compressor wheel, 15 psi wastegate actuator, assemble to factory specs, triple balance including low speed, and VSR balancing.

Now to the good stuff, power results!

First off our shop car is a 2015 EBM PP AT, white on black.

Once the car was picked up from the dealer the first thing we did was get it on our in house dyno to get a solid baseline dyno.

This netted us a rather disappointing 216WHP/274WTQ STD...:tsk: This thing needs help!

Next step was to add a Cobb AP to the car, and redyno. First pull just to see where we were was in Map 0. Results were 226WHP/261WTQ STD. Well that didn't do much. Time to put a real map on, flashed map 1, and ran it again. Results Map 1 (91 ACN) 241WHP/329WTQ STD. Ok that's getting a little better! As you guys already know the AP Map 1 really wakes the car up! It not only made more power, and TQ, it felt night and day on the street!

Next up, let’s get this thing Bolted, and get a real tune on it with the stock turbo. We did a LOT of reading, and talking with various people in our quest to put together the best FBO set up we could find. What we went with was.

ATM FMIC
ATP Modular 3 piece downpipe
FFTEC 3.5" intake
CP-E Hot, and cold side charge piping with stock DV block off, and Turbosmart Race-Port BOV
UPR Dual valve OCC
MBRP Street SS Cat back

We could not be happier with the set up! The ATM intercooler is honestly one of the BEST FMIC's we have used on any platform, and flat keeps Charge temps near ambient under ALL conditions. The ATP DP frees up a lot of flow, and gets rid of the Stock Cat, while the exhaust removes the rear cat, and adds a nice sound to it. The CP-E charge piping is top notch, and with going down just one spring size in the BOV got a very nice full vent with no Compressor surge. We did have a slight problem with the UPR Catch can install. One of the check valves was installed backwards, and one of the fittings was put on the wrong hose, causing a smoke show after install. But with a little digging, we found the problem switching everything around, and the smoke was gone! We now had the car ready to make some more POWER!

We threw the car back on the dyno, uninstalled the AP, and did another baseline run this time FBO. The car instantly picked up a TON of midrange to the tune of 36WHP, from 216WHP to 252WHP. Next we dialed map 0 back in the results were even better Gains of 51WHP, and 26WTQ! Map 1 came next with an impressive gain of 50WHP, and 30WTQ! Well the parts are working! Time to move on to a real tune!

At this point we contacted Adam, and got everything set up for him to take the lead on the tuning for this project. He was more than up to the task, and we got to work shortly after!

With an Adam tune on the stock turbo and our horrible CA 91 we picked up almost another 20WHP, and 20WTQ from 291WHP to 309WHP, and 359WTQ to 376WTQ, but the biggest thing was we picked up power, and TQ across the entire rev range!

Next up we moved on to E30 to see what that fuel could do! This is where the fuel, and tuning really started to shine. The car picked up another 37WHP to 346WHP, and 55WTQ to 431WTQ, and gained a TON of power across the entire rev band again. For comparison sake. To this point from our baseline of 216WHP / 274WTQ we have picked up 130WHP, and 157WTQ!! The downside, we were seeing extremely high WGDC almost 75% to hold 20 psi to redline. Anything over 70% can start to take its toll on the turbo, and bring diminishing returns as you fight the back pressure. Something needs to be done!

Queue the VTT Stage 1 turbo upgrade. We bolted it on with no hassles in about an hour, without even taking the car off the dyno!

Right away we could tell we had accomplished what we had set out to. Adam had to dump WGDC to keep the car form overboosting, and with only 66% WGDC was holding more than 24psi to redline, and the car was not falling off as it had before. The dyno told the real story. While we only picked up 13WHP for a peak number, the top end is where this turbo really shines. Gains of 49WHP from 291WHP to 340WHP at 6600RPM, and 38WTQ from 232WTQ to 270WTQ at 6600RPM, with the stage 1 flat pulling away from 5500 - redline! No more of the dropping power curve after 5500. It just keeps pulling all the way up!

With these results also came the fuel limit, HPFP was dropping very quickly, and we were bordering on running lean, so we called it there. We have the CP-e fuel bar on its way, and may do a little more testing to see what we can get, but we feel this is a safe zone to run the Stage 1 turbo in.

All and all we are very happy with these results, and on the street, you can really feel a difference, as the car does not lose power on the top end! Also something worth noting, Adam is convinced our dyno reads a minimum of 25WHP low, as our baseline was extremely low, as the peak numbers, but the delta is what we were after, and it really shines!

Now the question on everyone mind. What does this thing cost?

Our Stage 1 upgrade pricing is as follows:

Stage 1 Intro price of $1199
Stage 1 Normal price $1399
Refundable core charge $800
The core charge is 100% refunded once you send us your turbocharger core!

We are offering the intro price of $1199 for the first 6 units, please email us directly for your discount code!

We will have these 6 units in stock, in about 3 weeks, and are closing in on our Stage 2 upgrade which addresses the entire problem with the stock turbo with a completely new cast turbo, with a slightly higher price. We wanted to offer Stage 1 first, and then bring Stage 2 as we continue our testing.

We welcome any, and all questions. The best way to do that is [email protected], and we can get those answered for you.

We do not have a solid shipping ETA quite yet, but if we get all the parts as we hope, we should be able to ship with 3 weeks as stated above. Once these first 6 units are spoken for, we will have machine a new batch, so don't miss your chance!

The turbo is available for immediate pre-order on our website. http://performance.vargasturbo.com/mustang-ecoboost/

Thank you!
IMG_6367.jpg
IMG_6765.jpg
IMG_6767.jpg
FullSizeRender(19).jpg
Untuned, Map 0, Map 1 STD.jpg
Stock Vs FBO Untuned STD.jpg
Stock Vs FBO Map 0 STD.jpg
Stock Vs FBO Map 1 91 STD.jpg
FBO Cobb OTS 91 map 1 Vs Adam FBO 91.jpg
Adam FBO 91 Vs Adam FBO E30.jpg
FBO E30 Adam Vs VTT Stage 1 E30 Adam.jpg
Stoock turbo log.jpg
Stage 1 log.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S - Big Turbo EB
Great write up, looks like awesome work. I do have some questions.
What are the inducer and exducer turbine sizes, compared to stock? What is the flow rate, also compared to stock? ETA of the upgrade as the car will be unusable while the turbo is out? Also any estimated numbers for a stock car with just your turbo upgrade? I see you have an impressive list of bolt-ons. Thanks guys. Excited to see customer reviews.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VargasTurboTech

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
Great write up, looks like awesome work. I do have some questions.
What are the inducer and exducer turbine sizes, compared to stock? What is the flow rate, also compared to stock? ETA of the upgrade as the car will be unusable while the turbo is out? Also any estimated numbers for a stock car with just your turbo upgrade? I see you have an impressive list of bolt-ons. Thanks guys. Excited to see customer reviews.
Hey Brad, thanks for the interest!

For competitive reasons we are keeping the size of our wheels to ourselves for the moment. In time we will have no problem sharing them. The car will actually have no down time, we already purchased 6 brand new turbochargers from Ford, and have machined them for the upgrade (we are waiting on the last few pieces to come back from the machine shop). This allows you order the turbo, pay the core charge, pull your old turbo, install the new one, and send your core back. This gives us more units to build from, and keeps your down to a minimum!

You can see the comparative exhaust flow rate of the of the turbos in the log, ours is flowing much more about 7 Lb/in more which equates to roughly 70HP worth of flow. The compressor we use is rated at right around 45-47 Lb/Min, stock is under 40 Lb/Min. The stock turbine housings being restrictive in nature robs some of that flow potential from the compressor. Even with that restrictive housing it allows you to hold boost much longer, with a lower WGDC, and do so more efficiently, heating the air less.

Honestly we feel a Turbo upgrade should be done after you go FBO, as it is a complimentary upgrade, needing the added flow, and heat transfer capabilities the upgraded parts provide. This is why we did not test it on an otherwise stock car.

We hope that helps!

Last edited:

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I completely understand, thank you for the information. The community has been dying for a stock placement turbo upgrade and I'm ecstatic that companies from other platforms are R&D'ing for the ecoboost. Best of luck, I'm sure this'll be a hit. :D

evan546

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Wait so let me get this straight I pay 1399 I install the turbo then I return the turbo and I get 800 refunded?

Sponsored

Kuronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wait so let me get this straight I pay 1399 I install the turbo then I return the turbo and I get 800 refunded?
I'm thinking it's 1399 then plus 800 for core, then you send core and get the 800 back?

OP
OP
VargasTurboTech

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
Hello, Thanks for the inquiry! $1399 ($1199 intro price) for the upgrade+ $800 core charge. When your turbo is returned, you get the $800 refunded. This is a standard core process used by every turbo, or parts manufacture when they are building from existing cores. It helps keep your downtime to a minimum, and keeps us building turbos!

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
how's the turbo sound. Any videos?

OP
OP
VargasTurboTech

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
how's the turbo sound. Any videos?
Sound is all going to depend on your Intake, BOV set up, Downpipe, Exhaust Etc. I can tell you with the free flowing set up on this car, it sounds badass! You can hear it out of the exhaust at all times, and its downright vicious when spooling up, and at full boost. The FFTEC intake really lets you hear the turbo as well. With other set-ups the sound will vary. I will try to get a sound clip for you guys!

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
At the moment I just have a map intake. I'd rather not go full bolt ons before a turbo swap, so what else would you recommend I have before doing a swap like this?

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Power all the way to redline and it's at s good price. Hell yes!

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At the moment I just have a map intake. I'd rather not go full bolt ons before a turbo swap, so what else would you recommend I have before doing a swap like this?
IC and spark plugs are the most important, followed by a downpipe.

OP
OP
VargasTurboTech

VargasTurboTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo everything
This is an upgrade you can do anytime. It will bolt on exactly like stock, and provide the benefits of increased airflow, and more efficiency no matter what level of mods you have on your car. Once you are ready to get full potential out of it, finish up your upgrades, and away you go. Also we do have the upgraded plugs in the car, one of the first things we did when we started tuning.

dausmus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost PP
Reallllyyyy got my eyes on this. Can't wait to see what it sounds like, yalls exhaust set up is exactly like mine.

jc1804

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 50th Race red
So these have been bought from ford, so as far as things look its all stock? THAT sounds like a great win all the way
Sponsored