Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
EDIT (10/18/16): Imgur doesn't like forums anymore so I had to re-upload pictures and modify some text. If anything doesn't make sense, just post a reply in the thread and I'll help you out.

Hey guys. Just finished hardwiring my Thinkware F750 in my GT convertible with the help of [MENTION=15907]Bradrulz[/MENTION] dealing with my annoying PMs. I couldn't find much help online anywhere else other than a bunch of people hardwiring their dash cams in their coupes. From what I understand and from looking around for hours, the pillars appear to be different between the coupes and the convertibles, so you can't "go across the pillar with the wire".

Anyways, just going to try showing pictures of how mine is set up and hopefully it'll save someone with a vert some time. I was extremely hesitant and overly cautious, so this took a lot longer than it should have. At the end, I just said f it and just went for it even if it chanced breaking something. Then again, I'm a bit impatient and it frustrates me even more when something that everyone else can do easily takes me much longer.

First, I went to Pepboys Auto and grabbed some trim tools. It cost a bit more than I anticipated considering I got the set, but this is all they had and I was ready to get done with this already.

Also I had some needle nose pliers for taking out the fuses.

Lastly, to add some light by the fuse box, I just used a USB flash light that I had sitting around. You can also use your phone, but IMHO it may be a little more annoying to sit it at angles without it falling over, etc. I was in my apartment garage (in the dark) since it had been raining, so this light was extremely necessary for me.

So since I already set everything up, I'll just show pics and hopefully explain the best I can. After using the adhesive stick to place the dash cam pointing at the center of the hood, this is how it looks from various angles:

Tucking the wires was extremely easy. I actually didn't have the prying/trim tool initially and just used a flat head to push the cables underneath, but I'd recommend using the plastic trim tool instead. Here's another picture with me tracing how the wire is tucked from the passenger seat:

From what I understand, the coupes have a pillar that looks similar to this:

And I'm guessing with the coupe you can just continue the wiring around the windshield and tuck it across the pillar. However, this is what it looks like on my vert:

Ain't no cutting across there.

I also had to raise the top of the vert off to get to this better, and here's a better picture:

The tricky part here was that I had to actually pull the plastic down a little more than what I anticipated. As I was trying to tuck the wires, I realized that they weren't tucking and something was in the way. Here's what I was running into:

Apparently you can pull it down just a bit more and you can hop the wire over the little clip, and that did the trick and cleaned it up for me. I believe there were 2 or 3 of these little clips under a few areas here, so that's most likely what stops the cable from going in if someone runs into it.

Another picture of the wire continuing from under the plastic:

When the wire comes down, you can see it come across and behind the wall where the fuse panel is.

This is currently how it looks from the passenger floor. I've used the bolt in the upper left corner of the picture for my grounding wire. For me, it was the easiest to get to and I just gave it a shot to see if it'd work. Others have used some other bolts near the fuse panel but I'm extremely limited in tools, so this was the easiest for me.

The washer is also connected with the nut, so I had to take the entire nut (connected with the washer out). The grounding wire wouldn't just hook on to the screw, so by taking the nut off, this allowed me to just kind of slide the grounding wire hooks (or whatever they're called) onto the screw, all the way to the end where the nut would eventually tighten up at.

This is the grounding hook (or whatever) looks like and it's what I slid into the screw.

Here's how it looks when it's slid onto the screw (upper left corner).

[MENTION=15907]Bradrulz[/MENTION] helped me out here and mentioned that he used Fuse 2 (power memory module) for Battery (yellow cable) and Fuse 23 (power windows) for Accessory (red cable).

Prior to ordering the dash cam, someone on the forum recommended I order this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZFNJI6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00. I suppose this would make the setup look cleaner, but I had only ordered one, so I just went with wrapping the end of the yellow and red cables around one of the prongs on the fuse, and pushed the fuse back in there tightly.

Again, hope this helps the next person with a vert. If anyone has any questions, feel free to comment or PM me. I'd also be curious if anyone has a cleaner way of doing it (if there is one) as well.

EDIT (10/18/16): Imgur doesn't like forums anymore so I had to re-upload pictures and modify some text. If anything doesn't make sense, just post a reply in the thread and I'll help you out.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Holf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Euro-spec Ecoboost Convertible
Great thanks for this - that'll really help when my car arrives.

Good job & thanks again for the write up!

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
No problem and thanks! :)

Bradrulz

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Comp Orange
I got mine for a few reasons.

1) Proof of who may be at fault in an accident

2) Parking mode to record if damage happens while you are not at your car

3) Video for scenic drives

Sponsored

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
Nice writeup. I'm going to install a cam on my coupe. Your thread helps a lot.

Rich

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Nice writeup. I'm going to install a cam on my coupe. Your thread helps a lot.

Rich
Thanks man! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Very nice write up and install! Seems pretty straight forward. I'll definitely look into this mod for my car. Thanks!

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Very nice write up and install! Seems pretty straight forward. I'll definitely look into this mod for my car. Thanks!
No problem. Glad I could help man!

Evo_Rob

Mmm... Boost...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Nicely done. How much did that bad boy run you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
Just wired in my F750 2ch today using this guide, it was a great help, thanks for that.
I'm not sure if i've done something wrong but neither parking mode seems to work (i've turned it on in the app) and it doesnt turn on with the ignition?

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Just wired in my F750 2ch today using this guide, it was a great help, thanks for that.
I'm not sure if i've done something wrong but neither parking mode seems to work (i've turned it on in the app) and it doesnt turn on with the ignition?
I don't have park mode enabled either. I've considered trying to do it, but just haven't really needed it since I got the car given the places I go to, etc.

If you happen to do figure this out though, could you post back here and link me to the thread (or even if you add on to the contents)?.

Big_G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Fastback
I don't have park mode enabled either. I've considered trying to do it, but just haven't really needed it since I got the car given the places I go to, etc.

If you happen to do figure this out though, could you post back here and link me to the thread (or even if you add on to the contents)?.
As long as the wiring is sound and the option is enabled via the app it should work without any intervention. Thinkware have sent me some instructions for troubleshooing wiring.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Product that enters the parking mode by supporting ACC (continuous power cable- wire 3)
â–¶Check if the ACC side cable has poor contact.
- Check if the cable is disconnected from the fuse. Check for cut wires, etc..
â–¶ Check if it is an ACC fuse.
- After connecting a wiring tester to the fuse connected to ACC, test ACC/ACC OFF.
- If ACC is connected to B+, it will only operate in continuous mode but it cannot enter parking mode.
â—‹ Product that enters the parking mode by checking the voltage (continuous power cable- wire 2)
â–¶ On the PC viewer, check if the parking mode is used and check the voltage setting.
※ If you have a power supply, connect it to your product to perform tests. You can see if the product or the cable is defective.

Doesnt make a great deal of sense to me if i'm honest, i just followed your instructions :) I'm hoping the fuses do the same thing on a UK car that they do on a USA car .. assuming they do. Would be silly to change them

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
As long as the wiring is sound and the option is enabled via the app it should work without any intervention. Thinkware have sent me some instructions for troubleshooing wiring.

Product that enters the parking mode by supporting ACC (continuous power cable- wire 3)
â–¶Check if the ACC side cable has poor contact.
- Check if the cable is disconnected from the fuse. Check for cut wires, etc..
â–¶ Check if it is an ACC fuse.
- After connecting a wiring tester to the fuse connected to ACC, test ACC/ACC OFF.
- If ACC is connected to B+, it will only operate in continuous mode but it cannot enter parking mode.
â—‹ Product that enters the parking mode by checking the voltage (continuous power cable- wire 2)
â–¶ On the PC viewer, check if the parking mode is used and check the voltage setting.
※ If you have a power supply, connect it to your product to perform tests. You can see if the product or the cable is defective.

Doesnt make a great deal of sense to me if i'm honest, i just followed your instructions :) I'm hoping the fuses do the same thing on a UK car that they do on a USA car .. assuming they do. Would be silly to change them
Hmm, interesting. I might have to check again. I'm not a wiring guy at all and just took advise as far as which fuses to choose. Maybe there's another fuse for continuous power -- not quite sure. I do notice that when I push the button to turn on the engine (without turning on the engine), I can hear a very very light tick down by the fuse box. Gonna do some more looking around on this.
Sponsored