HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
[ame]

So in all seriousness, I took the stang to VIR with the intention of shaking it down for just one session at a PCA HPDE. Got there, ended up going in for the whole event, and was only slightly disappointed in the braking.
Mods: Steeda ultralite linear rate springs (installed correctly now), Mishimoto Oil cooler, JLT Cold Air Intake (dremeled a few extra holes in the grille), MAPerformance intercooler, and a 3" single exhaust.
Power: Car pulls great from corners, even a gear high, which works for a lot of VIR's technical sections. I was a lot less "momentum oriented" than my last car. Drivers of all types were surprised that it was a 4 banger. Charge temps were great even on the long uphill back straight.
Handling: This is where the ecoboost surprised me the most. With all the trash talking on the stock pirelli's, and how its a "fairly heavy" car, this thing was up there with some seriously fast cars. A good bit of this was probably the drivers or me, but I was impressed, coming from a race car on DOT-R's and about 6K in suspension.
Braking: This was the bad part. I wanted to see what the stock (100%) brakes could do. 4 laps. Swapped out the fluid for some type 200, made it to 6 laps before the pedal went completely. The stock pads are most likely the culprit. Pads will be changed front and rear before the next event. Brake cooling for the front will also be added. But, for those first few laps, I was braking right there with some cars with track pads, the stang just couldn't keep up with the temps.

So, plans: PADS!, JLT's brake cooling kit, and maybe some mild aero, then head back to the track for some better results.
Sponsored

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
Great driving, the mustang is impressive, looks like you were passing everyone.. I bet that feels good! Congrats

OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Was passing everyone for a few laps, once the brakes went, I let em all go back by. There were some really fast cars and/or drivers there as well, but I didn't get much of that on video. Wanted to beat the Camaro SS LE but he was running World Challenge Race slicks, so had me in both grip and power.

Tommy556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I4
Nice! Do you have a tune? How much power is your car making?

Sponsored

l8tebrker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT modded for track - Blue GT350 TP on order
Nice passing. Love the late braking. Too bad your brakes gave out. Cooling and track pads will definitely help. Get some high temp brake fluid as well. You probably converted a few of the Porsche guys at the track to go take a look at Mustangs.

OP
OP

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
no tune. dyno'ed with just the jlt intake at 285 whp, so with intercooler and exhaust, maybe just shy of 300hp?

The type 200 is high temp fluid. I really think even some basic bs track pads would work.

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
I can't believe you did that well without a tune! With an E30 tune, break pads, and some stickier tires you would be running laps around that Camaro.

Sponsored

willmkent

'Twas sure good see'in ya
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
I can't believe you did that well without a tune! With an E30 tune, break pads, and some stickier tires you would be running laps around that Camaro.
man, this video makes me love this car more and more. Its obvious that ford really made a GEM here. I though you are right marino. he would whip that camaro easy with a tune for sure

l8tebrker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Seeing this video reminds me of a discussion I had at Laguna Seca a few weeks ago.

The guy next to me had a Fox body track car, but he said he had 4 other Mustangs ( 3 muscle cars) and one of them was a brand new EB PP. He does not track the EB yet, but he may in the future. He did take it out on the track for one event just to see how it would do. He was really surprised at how well it did. He said that after driving it, he had to get used to the idea of the Mustang as a sports car instead of a muscle car.

Seeing you pass all the Porsches and BMWs reminded me of his comments. It really is more of a sports car!!!

l8tebrker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
I tried Hawk DTC-70 pads and they were ok, but my last set has been the Carbotech XP24s. They have tremendous bite, don't overheat and last longer than the DTC-70s. The only issue is they take a little longer to heat up to operating temp.

GGG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Oxford White 6MT, E36 BMW M3
Impulsed7, can you say a bit more about your single 3" exhaust? Thats the route Im planning on going. All I see right now is Ultimate Racing.
Great driving and thanks in advance.
Sponsored