Sponsored

Shelby GT350R offers first mass-produced carbon fiber wheels

nametoshowothers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
description of cars
I will be interested to find out what happens with carbon fiber wheels over time. From the posts I've seen on here I get the impression that a lot of people who are buying the R will be garaging their vehicles and pulling the car cover to look at them and dust them on Sundays. Maybe some will track them but without the CF wheels. Hopefully at least some of the Rs will see hard daily use with some track time sprinkled in using the original CF wheels so we can learn more about the durability of the carbon fiber wheels.

I agree with the previous poster that an engineering team will perform FMEA, but may not imagine all the potential failure modes during that exercise. It's a risk.
aluminum has no defined fatique resistance either. yet is used in airplanes, car engines (pistons), wheels, etc. Most non steel alloys are like this. yet people make things work. The main reason the air frame is retired from an air plane is fatigue cracks, yet most of us still fly.

The only risk that I practically foresee is damaging the finish due to a curb incident and not being able to match finish.

i am more worried about the cost of the pilot sports cup 2 cost to keep those going.
Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Is that how fords gone 112 years? Go back to your camaro board.
Easy fella, I would expect someone from Canada to fully appreciate how absolutely terrible Michigan roads are. IIRC GM has a portion of 696 previous state reproduced for testing.

Aside from the fact it was a complete joke, but is also tongue in check true for all OEMs due to the over state of the roads here in the lovely glove state.

You should at least look at my posts before making your self look rather daft.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Is that how fords gone 112 years? Go back to your camaro board.
:doh::doh:....you obviously have not read his posts on this forum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
aluminum has no defined fatique resistance either. yet is used in airplanes, car engines (pistons), wheels, etc. Most non steel alloys are like this. yet people make things work. The main reason the air frame is retired from an air plane is fatigue cracks, yet most of us still fly.

The only risk that I practically foresee is damaging the finish due to a curb incident and not being able to match finish.

i am more worried about the cost of the pilot sports cup 2 cost to keep those going.
If I had the coin and were buying an R I would drive it with the CF wheels with no worries.

I know of people who had rims come completely off a car while driving. There was some body damage but surprisingly not that bad. I've also seen quite a few aluminum rim failures. It's a risk. Just like going off during a track session. It can happen.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
So what is everybody thinking in regards to pricing here?
Same question I have. Picture attached is of a Carbon Fiber wheel on a Corvette at the DUB Show in Los Angles this March. I was told 5k a wheel :faint:
image.jpg

Sponsored

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
If you are concerned about potholes, race the CF and use a GT350 rim for daily driving.

Ford can't guarantee where you take your vehicle.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
That could be, the trouble is that CF could develop a stress fracture that you'll never see. At least not until the next time you go down. My point is just that when CF does fail, it does dramatically, catastrophically, whereas metals tend to "soft" fail. At the end of the day, there are so many ways that CF can be laid up and structured that it would impossible for the average person to identify cheap carbon from well-done carbon. We can assume that Ford really has done their homework here - but these things still raise concerns until truly proven.

The seatpost comment is more of a joke - you can imagine that it would be an uncomfortable ride in the unlikely event that broke... ;)

Well, CF doesn't develop a stress fracture...

Secondly, they put these in presses and put TONS on them, and crush them to watch them deform, and fray.

Additionally, I doubt you, or your neighbor, or friends have ever destroyed their alum/steel wheels, so it would almost become a lifelong challenge to destroy the CF ones. :crazy:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
There's a thread on the Corner Carvers forums where people talk about their aluminum wheels that have failed. A lot of scary pictures - aluminum wheels coming completely apart with the center of the wheel still bolted to the hub but the tire and rim gone.

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
Same question I have. Picture attached is of a Carbon Fiber wheel on a Corvette at the DUB Show in Los Angles this March. I was told 5k a wheel :faint:
Carbon Revolution sells wheels designed for a Porsche for $15k a set. I'd expect the price for the Mustang version to be around that.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Carbon Revolution sells wheels designed for a Porsche for $15k a set. I'd expect the price for the Mustang version to be around that.
Nothing to see here folks, move along. Jesus 45k for 4 wheels???? That's the price of a fully loaded Premium GTPP. GOOOOD LORD!

Edit - missed the $15k (((a set)))). Still a lot of coin....

Sponsored

Shabooty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Nothing to see here folks, move along. Jesus 45k for 4 wheels???? That's the price of a fully loaded Premium GTPP. GOOOOD LORD!

Edit - missed the $15k (((a set)))). Still a lot of coin....
Well that's 15k from carbon revolution. I'm sure since these are being mass produced they'd be a bit cheaper. I asked my dealer if there was any way I could order the wheels without ordering the R and they pretty much said there is no way. Through Ford at least.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Well that's 15k from carbon revolution. I'm sure since these are being mass produced they'd be a bit cheaper. I asked my dealer if there was any way I could order the wheels without ordering the R and they pretty much said there is no way. Through Ford at least.
Just wait a while. They will be available.

FTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R
Cheaper for Ford perhaps, but not for us. Ford likely owns the rights to the R wheel. Used take-offs are the best bet at owning a set.

AgentOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fred Flintstone, two leg power
Looks like the front splitter is coming off as well.
Sponsored