Sponsored

Modifications and Insurance

MDRN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
How have modifications affected your insurance premiums? This is the first car I've gotten that I'm looking to modify, albeit lightly; cat back exhaust, window tint, possibly sway bars and springs. What can I expect from insurance in terms of rate adjustments? Have you had good or bad experiences with companies due to modifications?
Sponsored

marcobie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Don't tell them about the window tint. My premiums went up double after they found out.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Everyone's a comedian...:tsk:

For a daily driver, I've never had any increases in premiums due to mods, and the companies have been willing to cover everything 'attached' to the car. Maryland rules might be different.

Have a couple cars insured through Hagerty, and depending on the value of modifications, it can influence premiums, but unless they can be convinced a new Mustang is a classic or collectible, this shouldn't be applicable.

ConspicuousConsumption

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP MT, Explorer ST
Don't tell them. What they don't know wont hurt them.

Sponsored

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Don't tell them about mods unless you are trying to get them covered, and expect a higher premium. If you are worried about losing your mods due to an accident, don't mod. You will never get money for mods unless you take them off and sell them privately.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
Don't know about the US but here in the UK, if you don't tell them about the mods and you have a big accident ie wiped out a bus queue, the insurance company will look for any reason to void your policy.

Basically if you are not honest with them they will find out come the time you need them most.

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
If you have $15,000+ in mods and get totaled, it could be a terrible loss.
Supercharger, half shafts, clutch, flywheel, engine supporting mods, rims and tires, exhaust, headers, and an upgraded suspension system will get you up there pretty quickly.

tweekdout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP 6m
A few companies have clauses to allow adding 'customization' into. if there's an accident, you're covered up to the cost of the vehicle + the customization amount.

The issue with that is there are 'limits' placed on the customization 'max amount' that are a percentage of vehicle fair market value at time of quote. For $40k car it may not be much more than $5k (which really isn't much). If you add more customization than than that, you could be denied renewal at the time for renewal.

Anyone out there run into a company that 1) either doesn't care about customization (and will replace parts 'at incident value'), or 2) allows for a much higher limitation on customizations?

I'm thinking this does not exist :(

This would be a good sticky for a moderator considering how mod-happy this board can be for folks with DD.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Some companies will allow you to put a rider on your insurance clause to cover modifications. They are use to this especially for folks who have handicap aiding equipment or farm/ranch trucks that have extra gear mounted. Call your insurance company and ask what their limits and clause requirements are. If they don't offer riders ask them what your policy covers as far as aftermarket equipment. If they don't cover anything but OEM it may be time to find another carrier.

ohbuckeyes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Travels allowed me to add $3k or $5k in upgrade coverage to my insurance for only a few dollars more a month.
Sponsored