Sponsored

Strange sound from stock BOV

tripat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ PP
If I rev my EcoBoost Mustang to about mid RPM range a few times then let it return to idle, after a full 5 seconds at idle it makes this weird click/vacuum/thunk like noise. I had a friend give it gas while I had the hood open so I could locate where its coming from and I am pretty sure its coming from the blow-off valve or something really close to it. The thing is, I have 3k miles on the car and never noticed it until recently which was about the same time I felt like the car lost just a little bit of power. Could a bad BOV affect performance or is that sound normal? It seems like if it was a normal sound it would do it much sooner than 5 seconds after returning to idle after getting some RPM's but I'm pretty new to turbos so I don't know. Only thing I've done to the car is put an Unleashed tune on it. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
What your describing isn't something I've heard before. Is there any way that you can get a video of it?

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
Does it make the same sound/noise when you first start it?

OP
OP

tripat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went out and tried it again and yes it does it when I first start it but I noticed a few other things too. Its not only when it returns to idle, if rev it up and hold it there I can hear it make the sound and it also does it after I shut the car off.

I made another video of it hoping it would be a little more clear, this time including the after shut off sound.

Sound at 0:09 / 0:21 / 0:29

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

tripat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I apologize, I probably should have put this post in "Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls"

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
My car is the only EB I've really checked out closely, that being said, mine doesn't make that noise.

Might want to take it by the dealer, but they'll probably tell you they have no idea or that it's normal.

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
That isn't a normal sound. If the noise is coming from the BPV, then it could be faulty. How does it drive? If you get into the throttle a decent bit, let off the throttle, and then get back into the throttle immediately after letting off, does it feel weird or different? If the BPV is getting stuck open slightly, you should be able to tell a difference in those few seconds before it snaps shut.

OP
OP

tripat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I could definitely tell a difference in power when it first started doing it but I think I have gotten used to it now. I took the valve off and nothing seems wrong with it. the inner piston moves freely and nothing is cracked or weird in any way but I suppose that doesn't mean much.

I ran it up to the dealer and the guy had me duplicate it while he had his hand on the valve and he confirmed for sure that's where its coming from but wouldn't say whether it's normal or not (it's not) and wanted to keep the car for a day to "research it." I wasn't in a position where I could leave the car so I had them check on part availability and these don't even start shipping from Ford until at least 05/18 so that sucks. Guess I will just call them in a week or so and see if they have them yet so I don't have to take it up there twice.

Sure wish it was something I could just fix myself :(

Sponsored

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
My car does it for about 5 seconds when I first start it, and while driving in light throttle conditions. I assumed this was normal, but maybe not?

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
My car doesn't do it at all. I listened earlier today for it. It should never make a popping noise like that.