Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8
Barton Industries 25% Short Throw Shifter Assembly

Alright guys so Saturday was the day I got the chance to throw in the Barton Short Shifter and boy has is made a HUGE difference (In a great way)! Install took about 3 hours (Not constantly working) for me and a friend without a lift. With a lift it would make the install 10x easier but it is possible with jack stands. The sell a really cool shift knob with the BARTON logo and the gear pattern on the top of the knob as well (Stock shift knob is also usable).

The overall feel of the shifter is 20x better than stock. The shifter is a lot more firm with the help of the solid mount on the Barton assembly and there isn't much play, it gives it more of the "Race Car" feel. About 90% of the noise from the stock shifter has been eliminated with the extra padding provided by Barton and the stock insulation. With the stock shifter I noticed that it would vibrate to the point where it was kind of annoying but with the barton shifter all you feel is very minimal vibration from the engine through the transmission case.

The 25% throw reduction in my opinion is perfect. It's not too short but definitely a noticeable improvement over stock. When shifting into gears it's solid and there is almost impossible to miss a gear once you get used to the new throws. What I noticed with my stock shifter is that before going into the gate that it seemed like something would catch for a second and then go into gear, it felt like there was some sort of notch, but with the Barton shifter the transition from each gear is smooth and solid. I've been driving around with this shifter the past 2 days and besides the exhaust, this is definitely one of my favorite upgrades thus far. I highly recommend this product to any mustang owner because the money is definitely worth it. It's a solid upgrade and Barton provides a quality product.

Sponsored

Last edited:

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the review Brian. I had a chance to feel out a friend's Barton shifter and it immediately made my shortlist for mods to come. The improvement is massive. Told him it was like a bolt-action rifle going into gears!

OP
OP
Brian@Vossen

Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8
Thanks for the review Brian. I had a chance to feel out a friend's Barton shifter and it immediately made my shortlist for mods to come. The improvement is massive. Told him it was like a bolt-action rifle going into gears!
That comparison nails the description. The shifts are solid.

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Can't wait to get this shifter! Great write-up and review!

I love how you took the time to get great shots of the install, versus most of us just using our cell phones to grab any kind of shot for an install write-up!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Nice write-up Brian! Looks like a quality piece for sure.

Did you consider the MGW shifter at all? Curious if you did and what was your reason (if any) for choosing the Barton?

The both seem to be very quality parts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brian@Vossen

Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8
Can't wait to get this shifter! Great write-up and review!

I love how you took the time to get great shots of the install, versus most of us just using our cell phones to grab any kind of shot for an install write-up!
Thanks! I do it for you guys! :cheers:

Nice write-up Brian! Looks like a quality piece for sure.

Did you consider the MGW shifter at all? Curious if you did and what was your reason (if any) for choosing the Barton?

The both seem to be very quality parts.
When I was looking into both of the shifters Barton's video when they broke down the whole shifter and explained all of it's components and showed the awesome quality of the parts they use to assemble the shifter is what sold me. It definitely owns up to the great quality piece Barton advertised it to be.

By far one of my favorite mods to the car.
Thanks for the insight on the shifter before the purchase. I'm loving it!

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
Thanks for the review Brian, it just adds another level of reassurance in my choice.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
When I was looking into both of the shifters Barton's video when they broke down the whole shifter and explained all of it's components and showed the awesome quality of the parts they use to assemble the shifter is what sold me. It definitely owns up to the great quality piece Barton advertised it to be.
Thanks, Brian!

OP
OP
Brian@Vossen

Brian@Vossen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang with a V8

rbeaudo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustgang GT Premium A10 VB Roush charged
Yes I want this one also, just waiting on Dave to finish up the solid mount...come on Dave any timing??

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
Is the reverse lock out collar optional (probably a dumb question)? I would much prefer to get rid of that hideous chrome plastic. I think I've read that the MGW goes back to push down, which imo would be much more convenient. Opens up a lot more options for shift knobs and cleans up the look of the entire shifting assembly.
Sponsored