Sponsored

Convertible back seat Pass Thru Mod. Let’s put our heads together :o)

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
Because having a pass thru would be a very helpful feature to me, I will be back to this with my thinking cap when I have more time (hopefully w/o my sawsall ;)). But Giddyup15 had the great idea of starting a Mod thread on this when I mentioned my interest in it elsewhere. So here it ‘Tis. Let's put our thinking caps on and figure out how to do this so it is the most functionally easy to use.

There definitely IS space for a pass thru to the trunk. A 36" wide sheet would fit flat (would be a few inches wider but the manual trunk unlock is there). The height is 9". Measuring from the back of the trunk forward for an 8' long Home Depot item :), it would need to rest to the right of the gear shift lever and comes a few inches short of hitting the center stack. If at an angle from the drivers side of trunk, you might fit a few 2 x 8's! Sweet.

It will not be easy to modify to easily to 'tilt' the bottom of seat back up to allow trunk pass thru. The seat back mounts by two brackets that extend below the seat bottom to the floor. You would have to not only remove those, but cut away 3 inches or so of the plastic seat backing. :(

On top of that, the spring clip connections for the upper attachment are a bit of a pain to dislodge because the top edges of the seat hit the plastic caps that are next too it (you know behind your mythical Toneau Caps). Reinstalling those upper clips is a ROYAL PAIN.

Big picture idea for me w/o yet knowing the hardware and physical issue that might be encountered, would be to hinge the top of the back seat. Modify the bottom of the seat back so it could tilt forward and up. Obviously, we need to go all in and install a hydraulic strut to hold it up! ;) The good news is that the top of the bottom seat cushion is about at the trunk floor level, so that is a plus.
Also, the seat bottom is super easy to remove. Feel underneath the front middle of each back. Just to the right of the clips you'll feel, push in easily and the seat front release, lifts up and the seat bottom comes out.

I sure wish Ford had designed this in (easily), but they probably feel the trunk needed to be secured from the cabin. I guess designing a lock would have been too tough!

Below are some pics I shot while I was installing my CDC light bar. :D I did not have this thread in mind or I would have taken more appropriate pictures. But these give an idea for starters. Both the seat back and bottom cushions are super light. They are just foam and light plastic.

In the first pic, the hole just below '04/' is where the seat back's bracket extends down below the seat bottom (≈ 4"-5" IIRC). the corresponding hole in the second picture is just below the seat belt clip.
Key behind Rr seat-600.jpg
Speaker, Rr-1-600.jpg
Sponsored

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Subscribed! Once I get some time I will dig into this on mine. :)

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
Subscribed! I was also wondering if this would be possible...glad you are looking into it!

stangs-R-me

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1969 GT & 2016 EB Mustangs
IIRC, the 1994 Mustang Convertible seat back folded down but Ford eliminated it a year or two later. It was a single cushion (not a split seat like the coupes have always had), so maybe the parts could be adapted for use in a '15.

Could try and find one of these in a bone yard and steal all the parts to play with !!

Doug

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
IIRC, the 1994 Mustang Convertible seat back folded down but Ford eliminated it a year or two later. It was a single cushion (not a split seat like the coupes have always had), so maybe the parts could be adapted for use in a '15.

Could try and find one of these in a bone yard and steal all the parts to play with !!

Doug
I know for sure the '95 didn't.

Sponsored

mpwillis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Monty
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Vert, '92 911 Cabrio
I'm in - good idea.

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Subscribed! I was also wondering if this would be possible...glad you are looking into it!
Thanks for thinking of asking an aftermarket company to create this! It actually should be a piece of cake to design and produce. It is just a matter if a company wants to do this for convertibles being that they are such a small percentage of Mustang production. (like us V6 er's already are familiar with. :() On the American Muscle 'tell us what you want' thread, I poked Alex from AM that they should be able to pop this kit out in 8 weeks! :D

Last edited:

icarumba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mopar or No Car
I just had a think...maybe it's a "no moving parts" upholstery solution instead of a mechanical solution. A good upholstery shop could probably create two Mustang-inspired individual seat back cushions that could easily mount to the rear bulkhead. No cushioning is needed between the seats, and the side bolsters are ridiculous for the back seat anyway. Finish the rear bulkhead with carpet or something, because it will be seen between the seat cushions.

When you need to use the pass-through, simply remove the seat cushions, and stow them behind the front seats.

Say you went to Home Depot to get some 2x4s and a shop vac. If you flipped up the rear seat to stow the wood...no place for the shop vac (too big for the trunk). If you pulled out the seat cushions and stowed them behind the front seats you'd have a nice, deep area to put the shop vac in.

Orrrrrr....create a new rear cushion that is split horizontally. The upper cushion stays permanently attached to the rear bulkhead, and the 9" tall strip covering the pass-through is all you have to remove (again, easily stowed behind the front seats).

Anyway...just thinking out loud here!

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Don't worry, guys...I'm on it! :D I'm also wondering if Ford will ever start putting this on verts in the future...would be nice!

I agree, it will be difficult to get an aftermarket company to get on board. Even the "one-touch top down" module that AM used to sell is no longer available (got one for my mom's 2006 vert). I doubt we will see one for ours.

I also kind of want to rig it to work at slightly higher speeds. Wouldn't mind being able to put the top down/up when driving through my work parking lot which has speed bumps and a 10 mph limit...

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Back Seat pass thru to trunk.

Don't worry, guys...I'm on it! :D
Hey Danny, so you got this this knocked out yet? It HAS been three days.
:lol:

(obviously just poking at you. ha, ha ;))

Sponsored

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
You know, I've already carried around a few 2x4s (8 footers) in my Mustang.

I just put the top down, a towel on the front seat (leaned back), a towel across the top of the back seat, used the passenger seat belt to hold it down - and I was done!

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You know, I've already carried around a few 2x4s (8 footers) in my Mustang.

I just put the top down, a towel on the front seat (leaned back), a towel across the top of the back seat, used the passenger seat belt to hold it down - and I was done!
Yes, I've done that many a time over the past 13 years with my Sebring. But it just puts asmile on my face that i'd be able to take a few 8 footers inside! Of course you still have to go the top down route with a few pieces of 10' conduit or PVC pipe. ;)

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Yes, I've done that many a time over the past 13 years with my Sebring. But it just puts asmile on my face that i'd be able to take a few 8 footers inside! Of course you still have to go the top down route with a few pieces of 10' conduit or PVC pipe. ;)
10 foot conduit?

Put a flag in it, tie it vertically, and join a parade! :D

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
Hey Danny, so you got this this knocked out yet? It HAS been three days.
:lol:

(obviously just poking at you. ha, ha ;))
Ha! Once I get this POS WRX up and running and out of my garage I'll get to playing with that back seat...promise! :D

OP
OP

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Ha! Once I get this POS WRX up and running and out of my garage I'll get to playing with that back seat...promise! :D
OMG! I have been working on my previous daily driver to sell as well (2000 Sebring convertible). It developed not wanting to idle 'intermitantly' more and more. argh. I have friend who wants to buy it for his GF's daughter and I want it to run well for her. So I have been going thru the usual suspects: Throttle body cleaned. dang not it! Now I have the EGR valve off and cleaned. It had LOTS of carbon build up so I have my fingers crossed that when the special order EGR base gasket comes in tomorrow and I slap it back on... That is purrs. Otherwise I move on to the next thing(s) :doh: ;) (no OBDII codes for hints... I hate that)

Best of luck on our now POS's. :lol:
Sponsored