Will cars wifi use phone for service

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
I see in the owners Manual that my car has wifi, or can become a hotspot. Will this work through my cell phone somehow? Without making the phone a hotspot?
Thought

Thanks Tim
Sponsored

acgott

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Competition Orange
Not that I am aware of. When I tried it in my mom's 2013 F150 FX2 it didn't work without the phone in hotspot mode.

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi guys,

You can use the MFT Wi-Fi feature three ways: phone tethering, a mobile broadband device, or an already created Wi-Fi Hotspot (think of this as the free Wi-Fi at fast food place). Please note: We do not keep a list of compatible mobile broadband devices. If you choose to go this route, please be sure to test the device with this feature before you purchase it. Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Rebecca,

What would be the purpose of MFT having internet access? What can it do once connected?

I see no reason for it to connect for the reasons stated above (my device could connect straight to any available hotspot instead of going through the car).

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
Wondering if the wifi hot spot on your phone have to be turned on? that would seem pointless.... I was thinking that it would theater via Bluetooth?
Thanks for the replies
Btw iphone6

Sponsored

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Great questions! With this feature you can create a secure wireless network inside your vehicle and let passengers surf the net. Up to five devices may be connected at a time. It's great for long road trips when someone in the vehicle needs to work, cranky teens that NEED to stay connected to their friends at all times, or your toddlers can connect to Netflix to watch their favorite kids show.

If you are using phone tethering, you will be using your data plan through your phone provider. Here's more info on using your phone to set this up:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...e-into-a-wifi-hotspot.html?sync=my-ford-touch

Think of this as MFT acting as a repeater for your phone's data/internet access.

Rebecca

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I did try the wifi connection and connect in my garage the MFT with my network. But that's it. I am really wondering why FORD has no browser to use with the MFT. It is again a "US market only feature". I would never ask a Canadian customer to pair it and use it as a hotspot so passenger could use it and wasting my DATA volume. I pay $70 every month for 1GB data included in my contract here in Canada. The data would be gone in no time and my bill would be in the $200 every month. To use it like it should be used, login into wifi and use the MFT like a tablet, would be a feature everyone could use. I am actually now interested what FORD offers in Germany/Europe. But for now this feature is useless because most of us connect with our gadgets to the internet and not with the MFT. I have no idea why FORD is selling cars worldwide with US features only. :shrug:

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Great questions! With this feature you can create a secure wireless network inside your vehicle and let passengers surf the net. Up to five devices may be connected at a time. It's great for long road trips when someone in the vehicle needs to work, cranky teens that NEED to stay connected to their friends at all times, or your toddlers can connect to Netflix to watch their favorite kids show.

If you are using phone tethering, you will be using your data plan through your phone provider. Here's more info on using your phone to set this up:

http://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...e-into-a-wifi-hotspot.html?sync=my-ford-touch

Think of this as MFT acting as a repeater for your phone's data/internet access.

Rebecca

Does it require turning tethering on and having to pay the extra cost?

Thanks for the link. I'll have to read through it later today.

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2018 Alfa Stelvio
I did try the wifi connection and connect in my garage the MFT with my network. But that's it. I am really wondering why FORD has no browser to use with the MFT. It is again a "US market only feature". I would never ask a Canadian customer to pair it and use it as a hotspot so passenger could use it and wasting my DATA volume. I pay $70 every month for 1GB data included in my contract here in Canada. The data would be gone in no time and my bill would be in the $200 every month. To use it like it should be used, login into wifi and use the MFT like a tablet, would be a feature everyone could use. I am actually now interested what FORD offers in Germany/Europe. But for now this feature is useless because most of us connect with our gadgets to the internet and not with the MFT. I have no idea why FORD is selling cars worldwide with US features only. :shrug:
OMG here you go again with the "Why does the US get this and not us" rhetoric without really knowing what you are talking about.
1) What do you mean by browser?? Do you think US customers have Internet Explorer built into MFT??
2) What exactly is a US only feature that you do not have??
3) Tethering is tethering no matter what county you are in and will use the data plan of whatever device the MFT is tethered to.
4) Use the MFT like a tablet? WTF does that even mean? It's not a tablet. It is an automotive infotainment system designed to do a few specific things, not browse the internet or create a spreadsheet. :doh:

OP
OP
NewTekBuzz

NewTekBuzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT 6M
My guess is the car could use it for updates to nav or system updates?

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
My guess is the car could use it for updates to nav or system updates?
If I read it right, Sync3 will/could use it. For us with the old system useless.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
OMG here you go again with the "Why does the US get this and not us" rhetoric without really knowing what you are talking about.
1) What do you mean by browser?? Do you think US customers have Internet Explorer built into MFT??
2) What exactly is a US only feature that you do not have??
3) Tethering is tethering no matter what county you are in and will use the data plan of whatever device the MFT is tethered to.
4) Use the MFT like a tablet? WTF does that even mean? It's not a tablet. It is an automotive infotainment system designed to do a few specific things, not browse the internet or create a spreadsheet. :doh:
Again. Customers who don't live in the USA can't use most of the features FORD is offering! Why would people like you post comments anyways without understanding that people outside the USA pay much more for our cars and do not even can use features FORD is advertising? Why offer WIFI in a car? Useless in any aspect. The question is what for is wifi offered? Is it a useful feature? As long I can't use it no. If you can't understand questions and discussions don't answer. As far as I do understand you, you are only posting to insult and offend anyone who is questioning quality and features. Make me a favor and research what Ford customers can use and what not and explain us why we should pay more for not existing features than US customers. And please stop to offend me. That's the only purpose your post has. Thanks for your understanding!

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Again. Customers who don't live in the USA can't use most of the features FORD is offering!
In understandable written english, please tell us what features you believe are offered on U.S. Ford automobiles that are not offered on those sold in Canada. As far as I am aware they are the same except for the metric system. The one you were complaining about previously (speed warnings) is not available on any Ford. So other than that one, what do you think you are missing out on?

Sal33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
The question is what for is wifi offered? Is it a useful feature? As long I can't use it no. If you can't understand questions and discussions don't answer.
To you it may be useless but to others it may not. Either way, the wifi feature should be the exact same whether you bought your car in Canada or the U.S.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
In understandable written english, please tell us what features you believe are offered on U.S. Ford automobiles that are not offered on those sold in Canada. As far as I am aware they are the same except for the metric system. The one you were complaining about previously (speed warnings) is not available on any Ford. So other than that one, what do you think you are missing out on?
No offence! Before you start a rant, make your research. It isn't alone Ford doing it btw. All doing it.
Sponsored