corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
All in one post. The low rpm range, under 1500, maybe 2000 rpm is somewhat artificial. But for most purposes it shouldn't be important.

V8 vs T4

V6 vs V8

V6 vs T4

Norm
Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
We have come a long way. The shape of all three torque curves is miraculous. How can they be so flat? Doesn't look like a bad choice in the bunch. The two NA engines have a more natural build to peak power while the T4 has an unnatural bulge at 3000 RPM that seems to make it feel short of breath at the top, but from 2500 to 6000 RPM, these are all sweet engines.

RB510

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Raven Black, PP, 50 Years)
That explains why the 5.0 feels like it pours on power no matter what RPM you're at.

Very cool, thanks!

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
I can't see anything in the OP?

Sponsored

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately, the power curves of the ecoboost are exactly what people's biggest complaint about that engine is. It is strong until the high RPMs and seems to "run out of breath". That engine needs an ECU revision STAT!

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Unfortunately, the power curves of the ecoboost are exactly what people's biggest complaint about that engine is. It is strong until the high RPMs and seems to "run out of breath". That engine needs an ECU revision STAT!

Tunes make the problem more apparent to a certain degree. If you look at the aftermarket tunes they don't make substantially more peak hp but make way higher peak torque that just falls off. If you want the car to be more like the GT you need a bigger turbo - they are coming.

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Ideally the graphs should be redone:

- One car per graph
- Consistent X and Y scales
- Red for GT, Blue for EB, Green for V6

That allows quick and easy visual comparison of all 3, since you don't have to "visually scale" back the same axes to get a comparison between them

You could also add a single graph for HP and a single graph for torque, for all 3 cars.

Sponsored

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
Tunes make the problem more apparent to a certain degree. If you look at the aftermarket tunes they don't make substantially more peak hp but make way higher peak torque that just falls off. If you want the car to be more like the GT you need a bigger turbo - they are coming.
I agree! :cheers:

The little turbo has reached its choke point and is like the sprinter who is running further than he's trained to...It runs out of breath. Put a bigger turbo on there, along with a nice intercooler to keep the temps down, tune it and then watch it go!

flaps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX
Ideally the graphs should be redone:

- One car per graph
- Consistent X and Y scales
- Red for GT, Blue for EB, Green for V6

That allows quick and easy visual comparison of all 3, since you don't have to "visually scale" back the same axes to get a comparison between them

You could also add a single graph for HP and a single graph for torque, for all 3 cars.
And the Ecoboost shouldn't have 330hp.

Wvmike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP
Why can't I see these?

Yagermeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Shelby GT500
I have the same issue as Wvmike...can't see any graphs at all

OP
OP
Norm Peterson

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Actually I can see it now for some reason. The eco looks like it has 330hp in these charts. : )
The original curve fit seems to work better for normally aspirated power curves. Turbo curves have been giving me either a slightly higher peak power point or a power curve that really drops like a stone after peak power, as in less than 200 HP at 6500. I'm not sure that's any better. But anyway, ↓↓↓

S-Dan - What's there was done really quick and dirty from a fairly densely packed sheet that only worked up curves for a single engine to then be used for acceleration simulations rather than just stopping at engine output like they're doing here. And that sheet in turn is working from exactly two "known" data points and a guess at idle torque. The Y-axis auto-ranges because the original sheet needed it to, and it was both faster and simpler to provide the three separate comparisons.

I imagine that just the three torque curves or the three power curves could be plotted - if the sheet has the physical room for two more columns of data without having to insert any new ones. There is a convergence macro that I don't want to have to debug (again) if it finds anything new that it doesn't like and either hangs the sheet, traps it in an endless loop, or spits out something really odd.

Norm
Sponsored