Sponsored

What Mustang are you going to build aftermarket?

What direction are you planning on taking your Mustang aftermarket?

• I'm not touching it. Stock only!

Votes: 52 14.6%
  • Very race oriented for AutoX/Track Days

Votes: 52 14.6%
  • Drag oriented

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • Appearance mods only

Votes: 63 17.7%
  • Street straight line monster

Votes: 35 9.9%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 187 52.7%

• Total voters

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
I've been wondering where to take my GT over the years I intend on owning it. Ford is giving us most of the goodies from the factory this time around - so the need to mod is reduced. Example: large brakes, diff, better cooling. Additionally, these include things that are difficult to comprehensively address aftermarket like steering feel, stiff chassis, lovely interior and good looks - though subjective, I am yet to see a aftermarket kit (or even Ford's own GT 350R kit) that improves upon the looks of the GT350 and GT.

That said, its a Stang (not even a limited edition one) - a car with the largest aftermarket (perhaps second to the Wrangler?) and it feels wrong not to mess with it. It's been tempting to build a more hardcore race/track car someday - but the more I drive it, the more I realize the PP is actually setup for the street really well - there is a touch of float, but grip is high and ride handling balance seems good. I need much more seat-time to know and will auto-x 3-4 times this summer - but I dont want to ruin the ride for that occasional track day where my skill as a driver is the limitation, not the car. Additionally, it seems all versions of the Stang, from the base EB to the GTPP are pushing a shade under 1G stock - so no joke. Wanted to hear what you guys are thinking?

My goal: Subtly menacing looking daily driver/GT car with select value/price wt reduction, more aggressive sound, slightly improved sporty suspension.

My mod list (time and financial priorities permitting):
Done:
Appearance: Tint, side stripes, vinyl roof and mirrors, LED's (interior and exterior kit)
Protection: Floor mats, clear bra custom kit

Next Year:
Sound: Corsa Xtreme, FRPP Sport and Borla S-Type and ATAK are contenders. Final selection TBD. This will also drop 30 pounds or so!
Lighter tires with better handling across a wider range of temperatures: Ex: Michelin SS Vs the Pirelli's (which have great grip in the heat but otherwise are hard). I think the Michelins also shed a few pounds but not sure.

In a couple of years:

FRPP's Assembled Handling Pack (shocks, sways, dampers etc). This should be fully calibrated by Ford and wont require any mixing and matching on my end. Other options include looking at where Roush etc are at.
A one piece alum driveshaft is also worth considering, but the price to value ratio (wt reduction of 20 pounds, but rotating mass) makes me questions the worth.

At some point:
CAI
Tune
Better clutch

If my wheels are destroyed:
A 285 square-setup forged wheels (probably Forgestar F14's). The goal is to lose some weight at the same time improve grip in transitions and allow for rotating tires. Going with 305's etc would not improve the wt and might be overkill. I do like the look and size of my factory wheels though.

When my battery dies:
Change it out with a lithium lightweight battery and shave 20+ pounds of the nose.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Last edited:

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
When I get mine in June sometime (V6) I'll probably go with tint, CAI, and maybe exhaust. A few appearance mods like lighted door sills, ambient lighting and whatnot.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A few bolt on performance mods, but not a huge tear up from stock. It will be my daily driver that I take to autocross a few weekends a year.
Plan over the next year is:
BMR or Steeda Anti-Roll Bars
Roush Axle Back or copy of Zackmd1's custom exhaust
Stickier summer tires (probably MPSS)
CAI
BBK Shorty Headers

Later on I might get a tune, front camber plates and upgrade the front brakes to the base GT/EB PP. Also will be considering Ground Control coilover kit.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Mine is a total project/toy/science experiment. Next mods will be a driveshaft, half shafts, better clutch and shifter. After that I would think more suspension mods (coil overs, etc.) to maintain a balance between power and handling. Other than that, drive it till things break or under perform, then replace them. The car makes a great platform for upgrades!

Toofarfromjune

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GTPP
I'm boring, I bought a pp with intentions of that keeping me from touching it for five years. No chance I'll break 60k before then either.

I did buy a catback after a week of owning but aside from tint, that's all I plan on doing.

After five years? That would be the time I chose to go all out on it with suspension, suoercharger, etc. Realistically though at that point I am more likely to just sell it privately and buy a used gt350 or God knows whatever is available in 2020.

Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Initially I was planning on turning my 2015 into a track car, but I keep going back and forth on what I plan on doing.

This year I plan on the following mods:

Borla ATAK exhaust (ordered already)
Tint(soon)
Clearbra(soon)
AP Racing brakes
Forgestar or HRE wheels wrapped in pilot supersports
Full suspension upgrade

I plan to track it at local HPDEs as much as possible. If I enjoy it, I plan on picking up a Boss 302 next year March and I hope the prices will go down thanks to the GT350. Next, I will probably supercharge the 2015 with a whipple and it will soldier on as my daily driver.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Just plan on installing a new, more aggressive, exhaust. Also probably aftermarket wheels 19-9s all around down the line. Some smaller stuff like strut tower brace will come first.

I have never modded a car, and I generally think the factory gets it right so I don't even feel the need to change a lot, so I'm keeping it simple.

Catfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500, 2003 Cobra, 2015 GT PP
I want at least 650 HP at the rear tires. I don't care if it turns well. I'll do a few appearance mods, but mainly a street beast.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
A few bolt on performance mods, but not a huge tear up from stock. It will be my daily driver that I take to autocross a few weekends a year.
Plan over the next year is:
BMR or Steeda Anti-Roll Bars
Roush Axle Back or copy of Zackmd1's custom exhaust
Stickier summer tires (probably MPSS)
CAI
BBK Shorty Headers

Later on I might get a tune, front camber plates and upgrade the front brakes to the base GT/EB PP. Also will be considering Ground Control coilover kit.
Stupid question, but why do you want to increase front camber? Is it to accommodate larger wheels? Any particular reason you are considering the coil-over kit Vs matched sets of adjustable dampers + springs (ex: FRPP)

Mine is a total project/toy/science experiment. Next mods will be a driveshaft, half shafts, better clutch and shifter. After that I would think more suspension mods (coil overs, etc.) to maintain a balance between power and handling. Other than that, drive it till things break or under perform, then replace them. The car makes a great platform for upgrades!
Saw you have a G-brace? Did you find improvements from that?
Also, the SC + intercooler adds some wt right? Does that change the handling balance significantly (I am trying to unload wt from the front - ex: battery swap etc) but curious as to how you feel the SC impacted handling.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
My main concern is to keep it numbers-matching, no modifications. I wish the exhaust was a bit louder, but I'm not going to risk future value by changing anything (check the price difference between a modded and bone stock Supra Turbo or Integra Type R). This is going to be one of the last naturally aspirated performance cars ever made it; enjoy it and try to make sure it runs for the next 30-40 years.

Sponsored
OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
My main concern is to keep it numbers-matching, no modifications. I wish the exhaust was a bit louder, but I'm not going to risk future value by changing anything (check the price difference between a modded and bone stock Supra Turbo or Integra Type R). This is going to be one of the last naturally aspirated performance cars ever made it; enjoy it and try to make sure it runs for the next 30-40 years.
I've thought about that - but the reality with any car other than a garage queen is that 30-40 years can bring about a lot of unforeseen events (accidents, death LOL etc) that diminish value and/or make the exercise pointless. Additionally, they are churning these Mustangs out full throttle and an appearance package is unlikely to mean much. Lastly, if you're going to drive it for 30-40 years, would'nt you rather drive it the exact way you desire it? Even if it did increase in value, a 0-40 years old Mustang GT driven a lot (in NYC salt no less) is not likely to make you rich.

Expected value = probability of it surviving 30-40 year/salt/etc * probability of it going up significantly in price * final price.

Dont get me wrong - not mocking your decision, but curious as to what you think about the points I raised.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I've thought about that - but the reality with any car other than a garage queen is that 30-40 years can bring about a lot of unforeseen events (accidents, death LOL etc) that diminish value and/or make the exercise pointless. Additionally, they are churning these Mustangs out full throttle and an appearance package is unlikely to mean much. Lastly, if you're going to drive it for 30-40 years, would'nt you rather drive it the exact way you desire it? Even if it did increase in value, a 0-40 years old Mustang GT driven a lot (in NYC salt no less) is not likely to make you rich.

Dont get me wrong - not mocking your decision, but curious as to what you think about the points I raised.
Salt isn't a concern of mine -- my sister drives a 30 year old Corolla that's an NYC lifetime car with not a hint of rust at 375,000 miles, and I've driven plenty of 200,000+ mile 30 year old cars that were totally clean. It truly beffudles me when I hear people talk about salt killing cars; that's never been my experience.

It's not a dollar value issue; I couldn't care less about the car's monetary value. But I do care greatly about the car's intrinsic value 30 years down the road. Like, when I graduated high school in the late '90's, I would have been absolutely over the moon if a good-running Bullitt Mustang had available in decent condition at a decent price for me. And I'd like my car to be in good running condition at a decent price for some kid graduating high school in 2045, regardless of whether I'm alive to see it.

OP
OP
valentinoamoro

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Salt isn't a concern of mine -- my sister drives a 30 year old Corolla that's an NYC lifetime car with not a hint of rust at 375,000 miles, and I've driven plenty of 200,000+ mile 30 year old cars that were totally clean. It truly beffudles me when I hear people talk about salt killing cars; that's never been my experience.

It's not a dollar value issue; I couldn't care less about the car's monetary value. But I do care greatly about the car's intrinsic value 30 years down the road. Like, when I graduated high school in the late '90's, I would have been absolutely over the moon if a good-running Bullitt Mustang had available in decent condition at a decent price for me. And I'd like my car to be in good running condition at a decent price for some kid graduating high school in 2045, regardless of whether I'm alive to see it.
Surprised salt isnt a killer. I keep hearing how cars on the East Coast/Chicago etc get destroyed after a 6-10 years - but thats just what I hear.

I understand the part about intrinsic value and condition. Esp the Supra example - I have not seen a single Supra that was not molested (or NSX for example). It's actually sad. One reason why I do plan on keeping my engine NA. All the best to you and your car!!!

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
The only things I'm going to change is the exhaust and maybe the clutch! Keep it practically stock!

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
My mods are mostly appearance related and upgrades. Since I'm getting the V6 im thinking of getting the CDC outlaw spoiler, possibly stripes, Roush side "aero" pieces ( name escapes me at the moment), billet grill with the Tribar logo on the drivers side and of course winter tires and possible rims to go with them. Also either do CF or get a rear panel with a faux gas cap.Inside- I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers and possibly adding an amp and sub, redline style leather interior (Katzskin), and possibly lighted door sills. I may do carbon fiber on the center console to eliminate the hard plastic but I'd have to see it first. Also thinking about putting in the puddle lights with the horse logo but im not sure yet. Under the hood- at least a K&N filter or CAI, a engine cover (when they make one), hood struts, and possibly a Flomaster exhaust.

All this stuff will happen over years, not months (except for the snow tires lol) and as my wallet allows. That's why I got the V6- so I could make the car my own as time and money permit. But this is my wish list :)
Sponsored