Sponsored

2015 GT manual (PP) starting issues & check engine light

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
New to the forum so here we go.

Got my 2015 GT manual (PP) on 2/7/15. Randomly it will takes a few seconds to start, cranks over for about 5 seconds and then fires up like it is out of gas. It is not a cold start issue this has happened in 60 degree weather & garage kept. The most recent occurrence had the long crank issue & a few seconds later the check engine light started flashing, but went off a few seconds later. contacted the dealership and took it in for service yesterday. Dropped it off with only 711 miles. The codes they pulled were PO303 & PO305 and found 2 cracked spark plugs - cylinders 3 & 5. This supposedly cleared the codes and it started perfectly 3 times in a row. the salesman was attempting to deliver it back to me and the long crank issue presented itself again, but no check engine light this time and no codes?!? service manager said he witnessed the issue 3 times today but had no idea as to what was causing the issue. fuel pressure checked out ok too. The dealership is now waiting on a call back from the ford hotline.

anyone experienced this type of issue/problem?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
I heard back from the dealership. Ford engineers suggested that the purge valve on the fuel system be replaced. They say the starting issue could be from vapor lock. new part won't be in until Tuesday. This is a guessing game.

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
New update. Just got a call back from the dealership and replacing the purge valve did not fix the starting issue. waiting on another call back from the Ford hotline. What part will they throw at it next?!?

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Mine has been at the dealer since 3-3-15 and have not taken possession of the car since. they have replaced the spark plugs on cylinders 3 & 5, Purge Valve, and clutch harness so far. The dealership is currently waiting on a 2nd recommendation from the ford hotline engineer. this will be the 3rd or 4th (not sure how they count attempts) attempt to correct the same issue. I've already started a case file with ford customer service. At this point I'm worried even if they replace my GT 1 for 1, what are the odds it won't happen again since they cannot determine what the cause is. this would mean everything rolling off the factory line today still has the potential of having the same issues.

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Here is the latest. I received a call back from Ford CSM today and was informed that the Ford field service engineer will be at the dealership on 3-19-15 to look at my GT. I'm also trying to find out from Ford what constitutes an attempt to repair a nonconformity. Do i have to take possession of the car each time after a (single) part is replaced and return it to count as 2 attempts? I dropped the car off on the 3rd and they have replaced 2 spark plugs, purge valve, and clutch harness. Each part was replaced individually. Since i have not taken possession of the car is this counted as one attempt or does each part count as an attempt? Based on my conversations with the dealership they tried replacing the first part and it didn't correct the issue so they moved onto the next part. I was never told the issue would be corrected by replacing a combination of parts. What is the legal definition, in Arkansas, of "an attempt to correct a nonconformity"?

Sponsored

ssyellow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' Competition Orange GT - PP/Recaros
I look forward to your results, it appears this is becoming somewhat common and a fix would be nice to know.

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Today i spent an hour at the dealership talking with the Field Service Engineer!!!! yes i got to speak directly to him face to face (FSE) and Service Department Manager (SDM). We discussed all of the issues i have been experiencing and both of them were very attentive. The FSE said he has never seen this issue on the 5.0 GT and was concerned there are more mustangs out there with the same issues. We all went outside and tried to start the GT after it had set for 10 min since they returned from the test drive. The result was a long crank issue, once it fired there were 2 distinct metallic pops/clanks from the engine, and a little white smoke from the passenger side tail pipe. FSE & SDM agreed they heard the metallic sounds, long crank and white smoke. At this point the FSE said he is also going to contact the Flatrock assembly plant to investigate the issues and may have the injectors replaced on cylinders 3 & 5. I showed the FSE all the threads on this forum and that these issues are not isolated to the GT model. The FSE and SDM were very courteous and shared my concerns. I didn't get any specific answers as to what is the cause of the issues. they have to look further into it. I respect the fact they said we don't know what the problem is right now, but are working to resolve it. They did not try to blow smoke up my tail pipe.

no matter how much i dislike my brand new car already breaking down, i have not yelled at anyone, nor "gone off the deep end". i am frustrated but getting irate will only cause delays and ensure they wont want to work with me.

once i have more info back from the FSE/SDM i'll provide another update.

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Latest update. On Monday morning I received a call from the dealership SDM and replacing the fuel injectors on cylinders 3 & 5 did not work. i was informed the field service engineer was contacting the flat rock plant again. Then on Wednesday i got another call back from the ford CSM and she told me the engineers were still discussing it and reviewing the problem. parts replaced so far:

2 spark plugs
purge valve
clutch harness
2 fuel injectors

tevaburns

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tiberius
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
This is sad. I really hope they find a fix soon or drop a new motor in, give you your money back... SOMETHING. Please tell us you have another car.

OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Yes they gave me a rental and ford or the dealership is covering the costs. Although the ford field service engineer was not to happy with the rental cars i was given. On 3-3-15 i was given a Nissan Rouge (4cly w/ CVT transmission) a week later i went back and asked for something different and was given a Dodge 1500 quad cab with a HEMI. I'm still in the dodge.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Moody

Moody

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT (PP)
Update i received a call from Ford CSM today and i was told the engineers are still looking into the issues. I bought my GT on 2/7/15 and it has been at the dealer since 3/3/15. i have not taken possession of it since.

tcador

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
Previous: '15 GT PP
2015 GT manual (PP) starting issues & check engine light

Just curious where in Arkansas you are located and which dealer you are working with? And is Marie the CSM?

rschmidt17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I just bought the exact version GT you did and I have 300 miles on it and I am having the exact same problem you are. Car has been in the shop since The 3rd of April and they cant find a fix for mine either. I purchased my car with 209 miles on it and when I took the car to the dealer I met the salesman who took my car home and put on the 209 miles. He said when he took it home he had no issues. They gave me there work truck as the loaner to drive that had mud in the back seats. That same salesman who took my car home tried to get me something better to drive but they wouldn't give me another gt to drive because it was a liability and they would be afraid I would dog on the car. I stated that I would never. I am a technician at a Mercedes-benz dealer and I respect other peoples cars. The salesman that took my car home then stated that if he was given a loaner GT he would take it and dog the sh!t out of it. So after he stated that I left called the GM and told him all I knew and requested a new mustang. Surprisingly I am getting a new mustang. They still are trying to fix my old one and will tell me what they find even if I am not taking possession of that car. Hopefully they can find a fix and get your car fixed soon. Just thought Id fill you in on my experience with the same issue. I had video and everything of it doing it and I could duplicate it every single time it got hot and then sat for 3 hours.

Rypkr937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Coyote Premium
Subbed.

Any update Moody?
Sponsored