Sponsored

Engine dies randomly!!?

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So this is the second time that my engine has died on me randomly while driving.

First occurrence (1.5 months ago):

I was coming up to a red light and the turn was slightly uphill. I approach the light and drop the car into neutral (clutch was fully engaged continuously at this point) and while braking, as I approached the red light to make a right turn my car's rpms just drop completely to 0. It didn't even try to catch idle. This was about 1.5 months ago. I figured that it might be something with the tune I'm running so I called up BAMA and had them send me a fresh tune after explaining what had happened. Also, not sure if this helps or is relevant information but I had been driving on the highway for about 40 min before that and did a pull on the highway 2 min before the car died.

Second occurrence (2/25/2015):

Today while driving to work in the morning I was switching lanes and as I merged into the lane I engage the clutch fully and was braking to adjust to the speed of the vehicle in front of me and was preparing to downshift into gear, but before I could downshift the RPM's keep dropping and go past normal idle and drop to 0 again without even trying to catch idle again. So I quickly start it back up again and it drove fine after that. No idea what the hell is going on.

Anyone have any idea why my car is doing this? The car still pulls great, no hesitation, drives smooth and there are no odd or strange noises.

I have the following engine mods:

LT Headers (catted)
Catback
CAI
Tune (93 Track from Bama)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Two possibilities: crank sensor issue, wideband O2 sensor issue/wiring harness due to your longtubes. I would scan for fault codes.
I did some research and found some threads about people pointing to the crank sensor. Was not aware of the wideband O2 causing issues. I will definitely scan for fault codes and see if anything comes up. Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
So this is the second time that my engine has died on me randomly while driving.

I was coming up to a red light and the turn was slightly uphill. I approach the light and drop the car into neutral (clutch was fully engaged continuously at this point) and while braking, as I approached the red light to make a right turn my car's rpms just drop completely to 0. It didn't even try to catch idle. This was about 1.5 months ago. I figured that it might be something with the tune I'm running so I called up BAMA and had them send me a fresh tune after explaining what had happened. Also, not sure if this helps or is relevant information but I had been driving on the highway for about 40 min before that and did a pull on the highway 2 min before the car died.

Today while driving to work in the morning I was switching lanes and as I merged into the lane I engage the clutch fully and was braking to adjust to the speed of the vehicle in front of me and was preparing to downshift into gear, but before I could downshift the RPM's keep dropping and go past normal idle and drop to 0 again without even trying to catch idle again. So I quickly start it back up again and it drove fine after that. No idea what the hell is going on.

Anyone have any idea why my car is doing this? The car still pulls great, no hesitation, drives smooth and there are no odd or strange noises.

LT Headers (catted)
Catback
CAI
Have you tried reverting back to the factory tune and drive it for a while to see if it still happens? Also, when you say you quickly restarted the car are you saying you pressed the ignition button again, instead of just releasing the clutch while a proper gear is selected? I wonder if it's an intermittent electrical problem possibly caused by heat? Was the car hot when it happened? Too many questions...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried reverting back to the factory tune and drive it for a while to see if it still happens? Also, when you say you quickly restarted the car are you saying you pressed the ignition button again, instead of just releasing the clutch while a proper gear is selected? I wonder if it's an intermittent electrical problem possibly caused by heat? Was the car hot when it happened? Too many questions...
Well this whole time the clutch was engaged and died while the clutch was engaged. Last time it happened when the clutch was engaged too. Also, I pressed the ignition button again to restart the car yes. And no I don't believe the car was hot when this happened.

Sacn for codes asap.
Yessir, right now I only have my tuner to use to scan for codes since I'm at work. I will scan as soon as I get off work and see if anything comes up. Thanks!

KP6Five

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KP
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 5.0L Race Red
Not sure if this is related to the surging or feeling like it was going to die when I was using the X4 with Bama tunes. Mine never died like you're describing but there were a several times I thought it was going to. I haven't had this issue since using the hypertech box with lund tune. Not one time! Just my two cents... good luck.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure if this is related to the surging or feeling like it was going to die when I was using the X4 with Bama tunes. Mine never died like you're describing but there were a several times I thought it was going to. I haven't had this issue since using the hypertech box with lund tune. Not one time! Just my two cents... good luck.
I'm assuming it's the missing parameters from the X4 that could be related to these problems that people are experiencing. I was waiting to actually get a dyno tune from a local shop but haven't saved up for that occasion yet. Thanks for the info man!

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'm assuming it's the missing parameters from the X4 that could be related to these problems that people are experiencing.

This whole 'missing parameters' thing is being blown out of proportion. The X4 has been out a while and has tuned countless Mustangs without issue. The difference is in the tune itself. A few auto-trans guys might have a more difficult time getting their cars tuned perfectly, but stalling isn't because of the SCT device.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This whole 'missing parameters' thing is being blown out of proportion. The X4 has been out a while and has tuned countless Mustangs without issue. The difference is in the tune itself. A few auto-trans guys might have a more difficult time getting their cars tuned perfectly, but stalling isn't because of the SCT device.
Only reason I brought it up is because I was told by a tuner about it since I was looking to get my car tuned by him. Just trying to cover everything that could possibly be related to my issue, lol plus I didn't know about that parameter issue till today anyways lol.

Sponsored

bvdawg13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black Mustang GT
I'm assuming it's the missing parameters from the X4 that could be related to these problems that people are experiencing. I was waiting to actually get a dyno tune from a local shop but haven't saved up for that occasion yet. Thanks for the info man!
I don't think it should have anything to do with the missing parameters. I have an X4 but with Lund tune and my car doesn't have any problem like this. Although my Evo did this twice, but was never able to get a log showing it. But AFR's would get lean before it happened.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Only reason I brought it up is because I was told by a tuner about it since I was looking to get my car tuned by him. Just trying to cover everything that could possibly be related to my issue, lol plus I didn't know about that parameter issue till today anyways lol.

Which tuner said that(curious)?

I mentioned the O2-sensors in my first post because since the Coyote came out there have been issues with longtubes killing O2 sensors. If it isn't the crank sensor or tune, you could have failing O2 sensors or sensor extensions/wiring.

Nanashii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Something very similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I was coming up to a red light to make a right turn into a shopping center (uphill street). Put it in neutral and then 2nd as I was making the turn. Stepped on the gas and nothing happened. It felt as if the car ran out of gas. Looked at the instrument panel and saw the RPM at 0 and a message stating 'Run Power Active'. Since I was going slow and turned onto an uphill street the car came to a stop. Started it back up and went about my way. Checked the battery cables afterwards and everything seemed fine. Has not reoccurred so far.

Main difference is that my car is completely stock at the moment.

OP
OP
Demon Coyote

Demon Coyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think it should have anything to do with the missing parameters. I have an X4 but with Lund tune and my car doesn't have any problem like this. Although my Evo did this twice, but was never able to get a log showing it. But AFR's would get lean before it happened.
It probably isn't I was just trying to think of any possible situation that could help with figuring out the problem. I'm going to take a look at the crank sensor to see if maybe it wasn't mounted properly or anything just to have piece of mind lol. Haven't gotten any check engine lights but I'm gonna scan for pending codes or something.

Which tuner said that(curious)?

I mentioned the O2-sensors in my first post because since the Coyote came out there have been issues with longtubes killing O2 sensors. If it isn't the crank sensor or tune, you could have failing O2 sensors or sensor extensions/wiring.
It was Shaun from AED, he told me he's not going to be coming out with any tunes until the missing parameter for the M6 cars is resolved. He said technically the A6 cars should be good. Nothing to do with my engine stallig but that's where I heard about the missing parameter stuff and from Fionic on the forums. I'll recheck my connections for my O2's and just glance and the crank sensor to see if anything looks odd.

Something very similar happened to me a few weeks ago. I was coming up to a red light to make a right turn into a shopping center (uphill street). Put it in neutral and then 2nd as I was making the turn. Stepped on the gas and nothing happened. It felt as if the car ran out of gas. Looked at the instrument panel and saw the RPM at 0 and a message stating 'Run Power Active'. Since I was going slow and turned onto an uphill street the car came to a stop. Started it back up and went about my way. Checked the battery cables afterwards and everything seemed fine. Has not reoccurred so far.

Main difference is that my car is completely stock at the moment.
That's the same message I got on my screen and I checked all my connections in the engine bay that I disconnected when installing my parts and everything looked good when it happened the first time. Im just hoping it doesn't happen again or starts happening often.

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt

LT Headers (catted)
Catback
CAI
Hey Demon - Sorry to see and hear about the trouble you're having here! This is the 2nd time that this has popped up in the past week and there's a really quick fix for this! Can you please shoot me a PM with your last ticket/order number and I'll personally see to it that we have a revision shot over and on your car by this evening!

Alex
Sponsored