Sponsored

MurphysLaww Solo - CAM-C build Finally...

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
***Changed the name. This won't really run in F-Street at all. ***

***I'm going to probably run in CAM-C for the rest of the year and wait for parts selection to get a bit more solid, and tire situations to iron themselves out. There are few coil-over options right now and tire sizing with multiple new models of tires has been interesting to say the least.***

Picked up my Non-PP, Base GT last Saturday. Autocrossed it in the rain on Sunday at Circuit of the America's. (parking lot)

Adding a pertinent notes list to this page so people don't have to scroll thru everything to find interesting info.

Stock numbers:

• Initial weight - 3,593 lbs with almost zero fuel, trunk junk out
  • Stock Front Bar - 32mm
  • Stock rear Bar - 21.7mm
  • Stock exhaust - 2.5 inch
  • Stock exhaust tips - 3.5 inch
  • Stock Front Sway - 13.8lbs
  • Stock exhaust weight - 72lbs should know by 2/28
  • Stock 18x8" Wheel weight - 56lbs with Pirelli 235/50-18's
  • Stock Power output - Didn't get done.
  • Stock Battery Weight - 31.3 lbs (from someone elses weight)
  • plastic undercarriage pieces and connectors - 7.0lbs
  • Stock front strut - 18.8lbs

Mods:

Magnaflow Competition catback

• Exhaust weight - 51 lbs
  • Tubing diameter - 3 inch
  • Tip Diameter - 4.5 inch
  • Power increase - ? Not sure when this will happen. Sometime after 3/1

Wheel/Tire/suspension

• SVE Drift 19x9.5 - Flat black - 26.8 lbs
  • Eibach 35mm front Sway - 17.0 lbs
  • Front strut with Eibach sportlines and maximum motorsports camber plates - 20lbs.
  • SVE 19x9.5 drifts w/ 295/35-19 Hoosier A6 - 51.2lbs

Planned Mods

performance tuner
Intake
strut bar
K Member brace
MCS coilovers, probably S/A
Vorshlag camber plates
lighter wheels ? (can probably drop 6-8 lbs per corner not sure how important this is)
Ford subframe w/upgraded bushings pre-installed. (a steal at $995.00)

I decided on a stripped model, as I'd like to do what people do with Mustangs, spend some time upgrading it, so I picked it up as cheap as I could get it, and light as I could get it. Even stripped, it is by far the most advanced and luxurious vehicle I've ever had.

I've been Autocrossing since 2008, when I picked up an 08' Subaru WRX. I fiddled with it for a few years until the bumper to bumper was up, then in 2012 started taking it seriously and moved it to STX class, and started having some success. Multiple economic calamities stopped that season mid-year.

Now that I'm in a pretty good job, and wife is out of school and we're a two income family I'm going to take Solo seriously for a few years, and move my way up from F-Street, possibly to STU, then to ESP.

Pics at the COTA auto-x last time it will be totally stock:

This weekend, I'll be getting a corner scale weight on it before changing tires, exhaust for those that are interested in seeing what a bone stock GT weighs.

I'll be taking off the pirelli's and throwing on 255/35-18 Dunlop Starspec Z2's, frankly, because that is all TireRack had that even remotely made sense. There is a real shortage of Auto-x tires right now for street classes for some reason, or I would have picked up 265/40-18s. Since it's a base, non-PP, I'm stuck with 8" wheels as a max width by rules and I think 265's is probably the largest I should go. There is a 35mm Eibach front sway coming as well.

I'll also be installing the Magnaflow Competition cat-back I picked up.

ESP will come later in the year when there is more suspension selection, and Vorshlag Motorsports is done with their first run of S550 Camber plates.

Sometime in the near future, I'll also try to get it on a dyno for a semi-baseline. I hear the exhaust gives some significant gains, so it won't be a true baseline.

crappy video of my final run. I need to bring the camera inside the car. I coned away pretty close to mid-pack in the X-Pro/Pax class, but it was wet, so it doesn't really tell me how the car will be yet. It felt pretty solid though. I didn't have traction control all the way off, as I didn't know about the 7 second hold to totally turn it off. I doubt I would have been much faster with it all the way off given the conditions and my unfamiliarity with the car.

[ame]

Beginning of March, we have our next event at Harris Hill Road, a local race track. Those are usually a hoot and will probably be a 70-80 second course compared to the 35 second course in the vid there. Hopefully it will be dry.

started a weight sheet, but haven't figured out how to embed it here yet. Some of the weights are still guesses. Here's a pic.
weight sheet.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Weigh-in Could be a contendah...

Today Vorshlag Motorsports dropped something off:

Magnaflow competition catback probably won't be installed until next weekend after a baseline Dyno if I can get one done this week.

Weighed 50.2 lbs

Picked something up:

Soon to be the Vorshlag Motorsports Wheel to wheel endurance car. What a way to go for an old 328i. Win an autocross championship, and get to go out as a race car. Brings a tear to my eye.

And picked something else up, for a bit:

Lightest stock GT V8 they've weighed so far.

After the Magnaflow is installed, I'd guess it will be in the 3560 area. Still pretty chubby, but not as bad as I'd feared.

Last edited:

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Awesome. I am looking forward to your updates:)

We have identical GTs. I am very happy to know the GT weighs under 3600 pounds.

OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
that is with the trunk junk out, and almost zero gas. 3 miles to empty :D

255/35-18 Dunlop ZII's are here and probably won't get installed until next weekend along with a performance alignment to max out the cambah...

35mm Eibach bar should be in this week too. I'm not sure I'll have time to get everything on in time for the Sunday event, but I'll give it the ol' college try.

Then it's just wait-time for parts to be made so It can move to ESP.

I've been keeping track of results on this blog. There will probably be a little here and a little there.

www.murphyslawwracing.blogspot.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mmmm partz

Stuff coming in.

Waiting on 19x9.5 SVE drift flat black wheels, and some cheap camber plates.

Just need a non crappy weekend day of weather to get some stuff on. Probably won't be this weekend either.

Sponsored

OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVE Drift wheels 19x9.5 - 26.8lbs. Not bad for $150/wheel.

pound lighter for an inch more diameter, and 1.5 inches in width.

Don't look too shabby either.

Last edited:

Project Whitemare

GTFO Squad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I love the SVE Drift wheels! They were great on the S197.

OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnaflow Competition exhaust is on, and it's a bit obnoxious.

I'll definitely be getting better gas mileage from running at lower rpms whenever possible to keep the noise down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have a set of Eibach Sporline springs on the way, and already have a set of cheap camber plates.

Picking up the 275x35/19 used RS-3's and some 295x35/19 Hoosiers this weekend.

Will mount the 275 streets on the SVE's, and think more about picking up a second set of SVE's for Hoosiers, install the springs, plates, and sway next week, hopefully.

OP
OP
murphyslaww

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tirez...

Used tires for testing and practice.

295/30-19, 295/35-19 hoosiers, 275/35-19 RS-3, and the new z2 255/35-18's which look a lot closer in size to the 275's than I thought they would. Should be 80mm, looks more like 30mm difference.

The HoHo's have probably 40 runs per set and are about a year and a half old. Should be ok to get an initial feel for R-comps. Hopefully used A6's to new A7's won't be too night and day different. Ultimately, results won't matter this year, just learning the car, what works and what doesn't and learning how to handle big events, and most importantly, HAVING FUN !!!