Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app

RubyRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT 6M
Really detailed and interesting! Thanks!

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Very cool. Looks like even the BIW got a bit heavier than the 2014, but got stiffer and larger by a greater amount. Very cool article, although some of those % improvement charts were graphically a bit misleading. Funny to see even high level presentations show that sort of stuff.

-T

Sponsored

Max57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 1957 Chevy BelAir
EXCELLENT Presentation! :first:

Thanks so much for sharing! :thumbsup:

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Great find!! Good reading for sure and very informative.

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Thanks!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
This is just a conventional platform, No S or Y braces were used and there is a kick-up in the rear. Platform weight savings had to have come from the heavy use of Boron and advanced construction techniques. This Unibody is just a more advanced version of a conventional straight rail.

The Torque-Boxless design may be limited to FWD only because the strut tower in a FWD provides additional support to the firewall. A RWD's towers protrude towards the front.

Removed mass using an advanced shape (explained somewhat), used Boron/Aluminum and used Laser Welding, Hydro-Forming and German Glue.

If the V6 only gained 26lbs from 2014 to 2015, to me, it doesn't look like they even tried to beat the old weights.

Will the GT350 use the Fusion-Style S and Y Braces and eliminate the front torque boxes? They did say the GT350 was completely different from the A-Pillar up. This would include the S and Y Braces if they were present.

The difficulty to develop? Not sure...

I will have to wait and see the "changes" that occurred from the A Pillar up.

Good info... Looks like the S550 still has a looooong way to go as far as material, techniques and advancements go.

Edit: You will see they point out that the Torque Box does indeed transfer the load to the Rockers... Okay... This is basically the tout of the Y Brace (Replaced the Torque Box in the Fusion). The Y Brace eliminated the miter cuts/angles of the straight rail so... What changes did the traditional torque box undergo? I see a ton of what looks like additional support at the firewall/rail intersection. I assume that is future proofing the S550 for a big engine later on. It shouldn't need a beveled sheer plate that size for support. I could be wrong though...

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
It's shocking to me how thin the metal is on these bodies. I guess the days of lying down on a car's hood and staring at the sky at night are over. And who would have guessed that the structural members are hollow?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In this picture, you can see the additional support that connects the rail to the Rocker. This appears to be a bit more direct than the previous car. It is also bridging the rail to the rocker, furthermore, kinda eliminating the middle man (those miter cuts and torque box). This looks heavy duty compared to the ATS-V's Alpha. It's all teeny tiny...

OP
OP
cbrookre

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
It's shocking to me how thin the metal is on these bodies. I guess the days of lying down on a car's hood and staring at the sky at night are over. And who would have guessed that the structural members are hollow?
I was hit by the same feeling, 2mm thick seems pretty flimsy. I am not a materials expert by any means and I know they have made a ton of advancement in strength of materials, but man that seems thin!
Sponsored