Sponsored

2015 Mustang Winter Driving Impressions

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
We have some nasty weather in Michigan today, so I thought I take the opportunity to test the Mustang winter capabilities. Coming from an AWD car, I was a bit concerned about going back to RWD in the winter. And, I didn't want to hassle with two sets of wheels tires.

But there was nothing to worry about. Between the all seasons, snow drive mode, traction control, and ABS...this car is tied down.

Anyway, thought this might be useful for other people that are considering driving the mustang in the winter:

[ame]
Sponsored

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Thanks for the video. The exact results I was expecting for a car with so much tech.

But what happened at the end their before you cut it off?

OP
OP

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Thanks for the video. The exact results I was expecting for a car with so much tech.

But what happened at the end their before you cut it off?
Part 2!

[ame]

OP
OP

limequat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Thanks, Limequat. I experienced the same results with my 5.0L Automatic in snow-wet mode today. The weather was icy/sleet in the Livonia/Plymouth area.
Yep, I'm in Northville! If you see an orange Mustang, wave :)

Sponsored

michformulas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT Premium
I bought my car one month ago today here in mid Michigan. I have been blessed with clear but maybe cold roads only wet from time to time. I plan to drive this car year round. Today we got 3 or 4" of wet slippery snow. I was pleased with how it drove. Traction control really kicked in (snow wet mode) making it slow from each stop but it was compacted very slippery wet snow. I saw a couple people slip and fall trying to walk on it and one truck in the ditch. I hit some country back roads that were fresh snow and it drove through without issue. I think winter tires are probably worth it for a DD. I have a 4X4 Superduty plow truck in the shop right now so I will continue with my all seasons. They did pretty good today.

....I think more is coming tomorrow.
snow drive 2.png
snow drive.png

Last edited:

PJE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base Ecoboost Mustang - Ingot Silver
Thanks, Limequat. I experienced the same results with my 5.0L Automatic in snow-wet mode today. The weather was icy/sleet in the Livonia/Plymouth area.
Yep, I'm in Northville! If you see an orange Mustang, wave :)
There seems to be a high density of S550s in SE Michigan. If you see an Ingot Silver Ecoboost in Novi (13 mile)... There's another Ingot Silver (GT) in Novi (10 mile ish).

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I'm actually sort of angry that we've had a mild winter so far... Put my winter tires on December 20th and it hasn't dipped below freezing yet. I'm wasting winter treads in 45 degree weather!

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Haven't had anything worse than cold rain here yet, but you guys are all making me feel better about the inevitability of getting caught in the snow with a 435 hp RWD car.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
had about 2" of snow on the ground this morning and realized how strange traction control and stability control is. after driving for 20 years without any driver aids on various 4th gen Camaro's its soo unnatural to be so disconnected from the car. It will take a lot of getting used to.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
had about 2" of snow on the ground this morning and realized how strange traction control and stability control is. after driving for 20 years without any driver aids on various 4th gen Camaro's its soo unnatural to be so disconnected from the car. It will take a lot of getting used to.
Huh, that's an interesting way to describe it. I drove 80s Mustang GTs until a few years ago and my reaction to the newer cars was "the pucker factor is gone". I was used to being constantly on a hair trigger ready to react when things started to go wrong. I find it much more confidence inspiring. The car just rarely slides around - even if you try to make it slide.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Sorry!

:lol: :D OK! I know now what you guys calling a "nasty" weather. :D

Again. Sorry! I had to smile seeing that video. My camera is still on the way. Next time we get 6" of snow and I have my camera, I try to make a video.

If you need more snow and ice - we ship that from Canada in trucks South. :cheers:

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
my first monday to work back in november included a very icy drive to work in my new EB, i was extremely careful and was pleasantly surprised how well my first RWD car did in the inclement weather. cold starts have all been solid, besides one freaky day where my car would not start (i simply had to engage the gas pedal all the way.. silly me.. )

Bay1Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic '15 V6 051a
Drove the car to work today (v6, all seasons, no snow mode). It's 20 degrees out, and there's sheet of snow and ice on the road. Went very well. I'm not brave enough to try in heavy snow but for these conditions there's nothing to worry about.
Sponsored