Car seat fitting if you have kids...

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible | Guard | Manual
I can't be the only one with kids on here, so hopefully this info will be useful for others. I went to check out the only 2015 I could find in my area to see how car seats will fit and took some pictures. It was a V6 automatic. I am waiting on the convertible with a manual, either EB or GT, so I didn't bother driving it.

I scooted the front seats to where my wife and I would have them (I am 5'8" and she is a bit shorter than me) and then put both car seats in the back. The two seats, a forward facing one for the younger and a booster seat for the older, fit fine. Legroom and side to side space should not be a problem. Getting a 1 to 2 year old kid in and out will be a challenge, but that's what the convertible is for (just make the roof disappear and drop 'em in). As others have noted, headroom in the back is very tight, but should be fine for kids. I sat back there and even though I am not tall, my head hit the glass. Slouching down made it bearable. Still waiting to see if the convertible affects any of these dimensions.

Trunk looked nice and big - again hopefully the convertible doesn't lose too much there either.

Overall, the interior of even the base V6 looked pretty good. I also looked at Audis, BMWs and Minis on the same day, and the base interior compared reasonably well. I am looking forward to seeing the premiums. I wish you get some color other than black in the base V6, and add other options to it - I might have considered it. But a black interior in a convertible on a hot day does not sound like fun to me.

BTW - Apparently wanting a convertible with a manual transmission is a rarity around here (Bay Area, Northern CA). In fact, every dealer except Mini looked at me like I was nuts when I said I needed to have a manual transmission convertible and said I would probably never find one on the lot and would have to custom order (which is fine by me, although it would be nice to drive the actual style of car I would order with the right transmission). I did drive a Mini Cooper S convertible with manual transmission, and that was a lot of fun, but the back seat and trunk were just comically too small in every dimension.
DSC03498.JPG
DSC03497.JPG
DSC03496.JPG
DSC03495.JPG
Sponsored

Pie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Genesis Coupe 2.0
finding a manual transmission is a rarity in general

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Thanks for reporting with photos. Will those mandatory rear facing/convertible seats fit? I am willing to push the passenger seat fully forward in those circumstances.

Chris95GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Thanks for the pics! The 15 I have ordered will be my daily driver which my kids will ride in at least once daily. My almost 4 year old is still in forward facing car seat (soon to switched to a booster) and my 8 year old uses a booster depending on the car and how the seat belt fits. She needs the booster in our Sportage & Odyssey because the seat belts are mounted high, but not in our 2 convertible Mustangs where the seat belts come out just over the top of the seat back.

This has been the only thing my wife has been worried about with this purchase. Other than the car seat issue, she's at least as excited about the new 'stang as I am!

Boydstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium DIB
Thanks for the post!!

My wife and I are expecting twins, so seeing the pictures and reading the write-up really helps. And hopefully the nice rumble of the 5.0 will help put the kids asleep, lol.

Thanks again!

Sponsored

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for reporting with photos. Will those rear facing/convertible seats fit? I am willing to push the passenger seat fully forward in those circumstances.
Yes they fit now, and it looks like the '15 has even more room behind the front seats. You have to move the passenger seat aboout 3/4 of the way foward though. this pics almost 3yrs old so don't have a rear facing one anymore and with a regular foward facing one there's plenty of room.

genericuser1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 M3 convertible
Thanks for posting some pics. i only have one left in a booster but my main concern is headroom in the convertible. I need to make sure there will be room for my oldest as he grows over the next 5-6 years.

I have a feeling the convertible might have a bit more headroom but less shoulder room.

I too would be getting a vert with manual if I decide to get one. I've only had a hardtop convertible so I'm not sold on a ragtop yet.

Boydstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium DIB
Yes they fit now, and it looks like the '15 has even more room behind the front seats.
Good to know and see, Thanks!!!

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
Thanks for reporting with photos. Will those mandatory rear facing/convertible seats fit? I am willing to push the passenger seat fully forward in those circumstances.
For you and anyone that will need rear facing in the stang, I just found this:

http://cybex-online.com/us/carseats/aton2.html

[ame]

Looks like it gives you a good 4-6inches more than other rear facing seats. Which in the mustang is huge IMO. I had to scoot the passenger seat almost all the way forward to fit in my rear facing type. This type would make it more bare-able I think.

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Didn't try a rear facing seat (we are waiting until we can get kid #2 facing forward before buying) but there should be enough space behind the passenger seat. It might have to be pushed quite a bit forward though so prolly best for shortish passengers only in the front.

In terms of four seat convertibles with manuals, the Mustang is actually one of the only practical options for those with kids. I've done the research and unless you've got some deep pockets (like $60k+) there ain't much left. Good ammunition to use to justify the purchase with a skeptical spouse. I'm also considering the forthcoming BMW M235i convertible, which can be ordered with a manual. But that is $48k, more than I really want to spend.

Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Just throw the kids in the trunk; they'll be fine.

RussTKD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What kind off booster is that with the red stripe? Looks like it'll match my redline interior perfectly.

Allerick

First Time Mustang Buyer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang (DIB 2.3T w/ Ceramic Int.)
Finally, I can get Recaro seats in the back! :D
recaro-performance-sport-combination-harness-booster-car-seat_2.jpg

OP
OP
peetucket

peetucket

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
What kind off booster is that with the red stripe? Looks like it'll match my redline interior perfectly.
It is Cosco brand (about $20) - I can't remember if it was bought at Walmart or BabiesRUs. Downside is that it has no latch, so you should really buckle the seatbelt around it even when empty to prevent it from flying in an accident.

valentinoamoro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 TY Mustang GT
Yes they fit now, and it looks like the '15 has even more room behind the front seats. You have to move the passenger seat aboout 3/4 of the way foward though. this pics almost 3yrs old so don't have a rear facing one anymore and with a regular foward facing one there's plenty of room.

Thanks! Super helpful!!!

For you and anyone that will need rear facing in the stang, I just found this:

http://cybex-online.com/us/carseats/aton2.html

Looks like it gives you a good 4-6inches more than other rear facing seats. Which in the mustang is huge IMO. I had to scoot the passenger seat almost all the way forward to fit in my rear facing type. This type would make it more bare-able I think.
Thanks!

Didn't try a rear facing seat (we are waiting until we can get kid #2 facing forward before buying) but there should be enough space behind the passenger seat. It might have to be pushed quite a bit forward though so prolly best for shortish passengers only in the front.

In terms of four seat convertibles with manuals, the Mustang is actually one of the only practical options for those with kids. I've done the research and unless you've got some deep pockets (like $60k+) there ain't much left. Good ammunition to use to justify the purchase with a skeptical spouse. I'm also considering the forthcoming BMW M235i convertible, which can be ordered with a manual. But that is $48k, more than I really want to spend.
Yeah, I dont want the convertible and we do have a family SUV for the days my wife, and I travel - the Mustang will be used for future kid duties only when I have to pick up/drop off the kid in the future.
Sponsored